Exhaust brake - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust brake

Years ago I installed an exhaust brake on my 97 OBS.

Im now driving a 02 f550 automatic and would like to repeat the process. I have searched but am unable to find the same ebpv brake setup.

It worked as follows

Three position switch on /off/on with one green and one red LED light

In the green light position the ebpv would engage when letting off the go pedal. Then open when getting back on the accelerator.

In the red position the ebpv would engage and the torque convertor would lock up until turned off

Can I repeat this in my 02?

If not I would settle for one switch that locks the torque convertor and engages the ebpv

thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

Are all the 7.3 fans gone?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 07:37 PM

You can get tuning to do the same thing.
On a 550, I would just get a real exhaust brake.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 12:35 PM

In order to use an exhaust brake to it’s full extend you need to upgrade the valve springs.

They only hold 75 psi brand new.

BD and banks make an exhaust brake.

99.5 f250 7.3 4x4- 277k FF 160/30, Hydra w/SDK Tunes, S&B CAI, 4" Exhaust, Van turbo w/Riffraff Billet wheel, Autometer Gauges, Built Trans, Trucool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.

Dads-2000 f250 7.3 4x4- 118k K&N Intake w/Amsoil Filter, 4" Exhaust, Autometer Gauges, Superchip 1705 (Tow Safe), BD Billet Wheel, TruCool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 11:09 AM

I used the BD Diesel exhaust brake. In my opinion its the best, and you can adjust it in seconds with the provided regulator to hold as much as you like. My fifth wheel is 26000 lbs, and it holds fantastic on the massive hills we have here in the BC Rockies. It was the only brake with an anti stall feature so you can use it like the stock restriction valve to help heat up the motor. ( since it replaces that valve with its own heavily beefed up valve). I did quite a bit of research on these and settled on this one. Pac Brake makes what would have been my next choice. Banks did not even come close to making the cut.

2002 F350 Super Duty, Crew Cab,Long box,4x4, 7.3 PSD, Complete rebuild .010 over by myself except balancing, 2000hp billet connecting rods, ARP main and head studs, ceramic coated pistons, Smith Bros Chrome Molly push rods, Comp Cams springs, shims and seals. Competion complete valve set and head grinding and vacuum tested, Adrenaline HPOP, DP Tuner Infinity DX programmer and full load of tunes modified for my new Stage 3 250 shot injectors, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds and up pipes and collector, BD Diesel triple clutch furnace brazed billet torque converter and BD pro engine brake and compressor set up, MBRP 4" stainless turbo back, Driven Diesel regulated fuel return system, AFE pro stage 2 cool air intake, riffraff billet Whicked Wheel 2 compressor wheel in a GTP38R turbo, riffraff blue cooler boot kit and coil clamps, International Double Ceramic Coated Bellowed Up Pipes
1999 Mustang GT Convertible Anniversary, rare stock electric green
2009 40' Raptor Velocity Toy Hauler
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

One would be great but they are priced out of my comfort level
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 09:43 PM

I run the Banks Brake. Love it!

The Banks "Power Elbow" was already installed on the truck along with their 4" down-pipe, so the BanksBrake setup bolted right in, in place of the "Power Elbow". The EBPV had previously been removed along with the pedestal (long time ago).

The Banks design is nice; very well designed, with a slightly larger bore where the butterfly valve is, so flow restriction is minimized when the brake is off. It's substantially larger than the stock EBPV...

Unfortunately, the electronics module that comes with the brake SUCKED. So I designed and assembled my own electronics, which interface the cruise control, IVS, CPP switch, and my GearVendors U/O-drive.

Works great!

Al in SoCal
AFE Intake; Garrett 38R; DieselSite Turbine Jacket
HPS Hi-Temp CAC Boots; Banks Big IC, Banks Engine Brake
External Oil cooler & Remote filter; Stealth 4-line Twin HPOP, Melling LPOP
Swamp's: 160cc/30% Injectors & HVHF IDM; DP-Tuner F5; Fluidamper Balancer
Custom Full Reg.-return Fuel System, Pre-& Post-pump filtration
Mishimoto Radiator & Exp. Tank; T444 Water Pump w/Filtration
Bellowed S/S Up-pipes; 4" Turbo-back Custom Exhaust into Twin Stacks
SouthBend D-D Clutch; ZF 6-spd w/CoreShifters Short-throw Stick
GearVendors O/U Drive

Last edited by Calico5; 01-24-2019 at 09:48 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

How do you like your gear vendors?

Was it worth it?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuger1 View Post
How do you like your gear vendors?

Was it worth it?
Well, yes and no...

I do like it. It has made a great difference when towing my toyhauler.

The ZF 6-speed in these trucks has a fairly big jump in ratios between 3rd and 4th (I call "low" 1st, and "OD" 6th). When towing heavy, it's always a b!tch, 'cause you have to wind it up pretty high in 3rd to have enough RPM's in 4th, to stay in the torque band. So being able to split the gears there really makes a world of difference. In actuality, you can split the 2, 3 and 4 shifts, so you end up with 9 (or even 10) forward gears. Also, you can double-overdrive (6th-over) and really drop the R's. Having had my truck in excess of 100mph a time-or-two (not towing, obviously), it was cool to drop the engine speed down to 24-2500 at ~120...

On the downside (which I didn't know 'till I bought it), I can't use my engine brake when the GearVendors is in high (OD). "Normal deceleration" is okay in high (according to the GV manual), but they say NOT to use any engine brake, except in the direct (low/under-drive) gear. It has to do with the way the planetary gearset is designed (helically-cut gears); it wants to "pull" into gear tighter under load, but wants to push out of gear under heavy decell. SOOO, no splitting gears (like 4th under to 3rd over) when descending a grade.
But, I've grown accustomed to it now, and it's not that big-a-deal. Still a GREAT asset for towing.

The other thing is, it can shift a bit harshly, so it takes some finesse, and a feel for working the accel pedal and/or clutch. But it's a short learning curve. Once you learn the feel, it works good.

I should mention: putting a GV in requires MAJOR driveline alteration. The front shaft [of the two-piece rear drive shaft] is lengthened (actually, a new shaft is fabricated) and the rear shaft is shortened, and the carrier bearing is relocated rearward (it comes with all the necessary bracketry required). The driveline shop I used locally, is well-versed in the modifications required for the GV install, so it all worked well. I did have a slight drive-line issue (vibration on takeoff) after it first went in. However, correcting the driveline angles, by lowering the carrier bearing, solved the problem.

I also found (while troubleshooting the vibration) that I had a TON of axle-wrap occurring, particularly when towing (I'm sure this was happening before the GV went in, but I never really thought about it). So I threw on a set of FabTech traction bars, and that eliminated that issue COMPLETELY! The traction "feels" so much better now... like the road is right there; not as "spongy" as before. It's hard to describe until you feel the difference, before and after. I highly recommend traction bars to anyone that tows.

Lastly, I didn't use ANY of the electronics that came with the GV. I designed my own circuits and installed them instead (to prevent operation in 4x4, reverse gear, etc.). My take was that the electronic module that they supply is more suited to an automatic trans., not the manual. I also used an old-school, two-speed red "push-pull" switch on the my stick, instead of the little funky rocker switch they provide.

Sorry for the book-length post. I like to tell the whole story...

~Al

Al in SoCal
GearVendors O/U Drive

Last edited by Calico5; 01-27-2019 at 05:45 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

That sounds bad ass. I have been wanting to put one in for some time now but they don't recommend it for towing.

My flatbed trailer weighs 9100 empty and although I haven't weighed it Im sure my F550 weighs all of 10k or more. Figure CC 4wd steel flatbed. All that puts me close to their limit empty.

It would be awesome to be able to split the gears in my 4r100 especially considering my 4 88 gears
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuger1 View Post
That sounds bad ass. I have been wanting to put one in for some time now but they don't recommend it for towing.
My flatbed trailer weighs 9100 empty and although I haven't weighed it Im sure my F550 weighs all of 10k or more. Figure CC 4wd steel flatbed. All that puts me close to their limit empty.
It would be awesome to be able to split the gears in my 4r100 especially considering my 4 88 gears
Who doesn't recommend it for towing, GearVendors? I thought the GV O/U-drive had a pretty high load/torque rating...?

And, yes your 550 probably does weigh-in close to 10k. My F350 weighs 8000 empty, and it's a "stock" 4x4-SRW-CC with a pickup box.

Al in SoCal
GearVendors O/U Drive

Last edited by Calico5; 01-27-2019 at 06:04 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

Yes GV limit is 25K
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 03:13 PM

My Photos: (6)
I think what you are wanting is the unit that was made by SPDiesel. Tapped into the ebv valve and gas pedals along with a 3 pos switch so no brake, brake and lock TC or brake only.

2002 F350 PSD CC 4X4 LWB Toreador Red/Silver, 2 1/2" Rubicon Leveling Kit, 5145/5146 Bilsteins, Bridgestone REVOS 285/75/16, EGR wheel flares, SCMT 1705 - 60HP, SP Exhaust Brake, Autometer Ultra-Lites in a 3-pod pillar mount, Tymar Intake, ExtangRT tonneau, A/C Mod, Maglight, Catch-Alls, Upgraded Headlight harness & Silverstars. Bought 6/14/02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in