The Diesel Stop banner

F6 or not?

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Justin@DP-Tuner 
#1 ·
I'm looking seriously at DP's F6 chip. Don't know who I talked with @ DP yesterday but didn't get satisfactory answer on mounting the "Switcher". I have 7 gauges in my '02 SD, 3 on top of dash, 3 in a pod below and an X-Monitor on the pillar. Sounds as tho the Switcher, required for the F5 or F6 chip needs to be mounted in a gauge pod. If so, my gauge pods are all spoken for. Can someone who has an F5 or F6 installed enlighten me a bit? Would appreciate seeing pics of same in a real truck. A simple rotary switch would make me happy but DP doesn't have that option. Thanks for ideas & help ... this is a great forum.

#3 · (Edited)
You have multiple options for the switcher. You can get a gauge mounted switcher like I have. You can get a small, rectangular surface mounted switcher that you can put anywhere on your dash, or you can get a rotary switcher that you could mount behind a panel with the dial on the outside. They all work with the F5 and F6.

Here's the full page of selections - https://www.dp-tuner.com/ford-power...-3l-2/tuning-32/chip-switches-misc-1.html?p=1

rotary switch - https://www.dp-tuner.com/ford-power...-32/chip-switches-misc-1/rotary-switcher.html

surface mount - https://www.dp-tuner.com/ford-power...32/chip-switches-misc-1/ex-switcher-blue.html

That link is to the blue color, although there are many other choices.

You're only regret is going to be that you didn't get this sooner. The DP-Tuner is going to wake up the beast that has been hiding under your hood.

#4 ·
RT, thanks for the info. That settles it for me, I think. The guy I talked with yesterday at DP must be a new employee. He knew almost nothing about the chip or options. I'll try to talk to Justin Monday and get the F6 headed out here. By the way, I made a small effort to uncover my computer code but the cover didn't want to slide off after removing the 2 screws on the inside of the cab. The cover slips back 1/4" and stops. Can't see that it's hanging up on anything. Didn't think it was necessary to unhook under the hood just to look for the PCM code. Can you suggest anything? Force? Makes me nervous. I read somewhere that on '02s only the inside screws needed to be removed to uncover the PCM and see the code.

#5 ·
Use a inspection mirror and flashlight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#6 · (Edited)
Best chip for the price is the hydra.

It's 375$ from most vendors. It mounts easily on the dash with a piece of Velcro that's provided.

You get access to a library of php tunes. You can load up to 15 tunes onto it. All included in the cost of the chip. No extra cost for tunes.

The list of vendors that tune for the hydra is long. If you ever want custom tunes for injectors or other mods everyone tunes for it.

Or if you only plan on running basic mods go with a ts chip for 250 from a few vendors. They come with php custom tunes as well.

It's up to you of course. But... I would save yourself 200-400 dollars and go with the hydra or ts

#7 ·
You can look on youtube to see how the installation of your DP tuner is done. I also have an 02, not sure what your problem is taking the PCM out mine was rather easy. Do you have the bolt on the connector under the hood all the way out?

#8 ·
The plastic housing catches on one of the brackets. I believe it's top outside where it hits so nearly impossible to see. Pulling it hard enough to get past it makes me nervous every time also.

#12 ·
Right on! I was afraid of injuring something (my WALLET?) SO I disconnected the cable under the hood. There is a lip on the plastic cover that hooks behind the metal bracket that supports the PCM. I undid the lower nut on the metal bracket where it attaches to the firewall, moved the bracket toward the parking brake and with a bit of wiggle/force, out it came! The nut that holds the topside of the metal bracket looks impossible to get to, but pushing the bottom part over does it. I now have my PCM out to admire and fiddle with. Not putting it back in till I have a chip to stick on it if my sweet wife will let me ride around in her Escape. My PCM code is Q L J 2 ... does anyone care? For 84 years my motto has been: "SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO BREAK SOMETHING TO LEARN HOW TO FIX IT". So far, I haven't had to break anything on this project.... Praise the Lord!
Thanks to all for holding my hand while this was going on. I'll add to this post if anything exciting happens.

#9 ·
Thanks guys, for your info & help. I'm gonna have another go at pulling the cover off the PCM today to get the code. Don't want to pull the computer out & disable the truck 'till I have the chip & am ready to install it.

#10 ·
Remember, the only difference between the F5 and the F6 is the ability to load tunes on your own as opposed to sending the chip back. I got the F6 for that reason, however the tunes I got are so absolutely perfect that I've never needed more than I started with. I'd get he 60 econo for highway driving, the 80 econo for city driving and mild loads (like up to a ton of dirt or rock in the bed), and a tow tune for when you are pulling a loaded trailer. I got a performance tune, but I've only used it once. I don't need those kind of horsies for utility functions, but you may enjoy eating Mustangs with your 8500 pound steel brick.

#11 ·
RT, you're messin' with my brain! I'm torn...to save a good sized chunk of change or opt for the versatility & possibility of making it easier to change my mind down the road. I'm getting too old to enjoy crawling around under the dash any more. But I can hardly stand the thought of letting someone else monkey around with my baby. Still haven't got the cover off the PCM to read the code. Gotta get out there & yank on it again. I do like the "Try before you buy" option on the F6.

#13 ·
Got my F6 chip with 5 tunes 4 days ago. Installed it over the weekend and it's still in the "testing" stage but it's looking and feeling pretty good. I mounted the "Switcher" flush in the dash, right of steering column, just below the speedo. That worked out well & looks good to me. I'm happy.

#14 ·
Hearing this, I am thinking you may have called some other company instead of us. This actually happens all the time. We have dealers that have similar company names to ours. The reason I say this is because it is only Jody (owner), Diane (owner), and myself over here at DP-Tuner. All of us have a lot of knowledge on our products and would have been able to answer your questions, to your satisfaction.

If in fact you did call us, I apologize on our behalf if we weren't able to get you the answers you were looking for.

But they do. @Justin@DP-Tuner

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Somehow, I never got notification of this mention. Hense, why I am just now seeing and responding to this thread.

Thanks though Jasper.

RT, thanks for the info. That settles it for me, I think. The guy I talked with yesterday at DP must be a new employee. He knew almost nothing about the chip or options. I'll try to talk to Justin Monday and get the F6 headed out here. By the way, I made a small effort to uncover my computer code but the cover didn't want to slide off after removing the 2 screws on the inside of the cab. The cover slips back 1/4" and stops. Can't see that it's hanging up on anything. Didn't think it was necessary to unhook under the hood just to look for the PCM code. Can you suggest anything? Force? Makes me nervous. I read somewhere that on '02s only the inside screws needed to be removed to uncover the PCM and see the code.
Again, I am thinking you may have called one of our dealers. If it was actually us, I do apologize.

Usually what the cover gets hung up on is the cable located above the PCM. Sometimes you have to move the cable, or wiggle the PCM/case at a different angle to get it out.

Got my F6 chip with 5 tunes 4 days ago. Installed it over the weekend and it's still in the "testing" stage but it's looking and feeling pretty good. I mounted the "Switcher" flush in the dash, right of steering column, just below the speedo. That worked out well & looks good to me. I'm happy.
Glad you are enjoying it. Sorry for the delay in response to this thread. I did not get notification of Jasper's mention, as I said above.

If you ever have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to contact me direct. All of my contact info should be in my sig. You can get a hold of me by PM, e-mail, or phone. I would be happy to help you out.

#15 ·
Hey Justin, thanks for clearing the mis-information up a bit. You and I talked by phone a couple of times since my remarks about a person purportedly from DP. My conversations with that person were a bit unsettling and almost sent me in another direction. But after speaking with you directly, I felt reassured to the point that I went for the F6 chip with Bluetooth. The installation was completed 4 days ago and my smile grows wider every day. The 100 HP Tune is awesome! Justin & Jody ROCK!
Emmitt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.