Finally - The REAL DEAL Denso Starter - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Finally - The REAL DEAL Denso Starter

Just wanted to give folks some info here on my starter experience. After 2 weeks, I finally have a working starter in the truck. Why didn't I do this to begin with?!

Just for some history, about 4 or 5 years ago, my stock Visteon unit went out and I replaced it with a DBE Denso type starter. A couple weeks ago, it stuck "on" and burned up, resulting in a tow truck ride home. I decided to try a new DBE and the one delivered was bad out of the box. Sent it back and they didn't have any more available, so I got my money back.

Then I decided to go with a new Remy Visteon type from Advance Auto. I figured at least with a lifetime warranty, I wouldn't have to pay for another starter. What a cluster that was. Every box they opened that was supposed to be the 2 bolt Visteon-type starter had the 3 bolt Mitsubishi starter in it. Same deal at Autozone, so there was some kind of mix up at the supplier. Searching around, I found threads all over that show this switcheroo has been going on for about 6 months.

So I finally gave up on that and found a thread from February here (thank you RT!). I couldn't hardly believe their price on the real Denso, so sent a couple emails to make sure it was the real deal and bought one, shipped overnight for only $10 more. And I was told it has a 2 year, 24,000 mile warranty.

All I can say is WOW! After hearing 2 of the "Denso type" ones made in China, the quality of the real Denso was music to my ears. It just sounds much more solid with none of the extra metallic racket the cheap ones make, even when new. So take it from someone that's had both, at least when new, it's definitely worth the $$. Just hope it holds up now. Hopefully it will, supposedly it's the starter International put in their version of the 7.3.

BTW, Advance Auto did call right after UPS delivered my Denso and said they finally got the right one in....just a couple days late. So maybe that problem is fixed.

Still happy I got the Denso though. It was a close call between that and the Powermaster, but the 2 year warranty and the likelihood that parts and rebuilds for the real Denso are probably easier to find made me decide on the Denso.

2002 F250 CC LB 4WD - AIS w/ trimmed snorkel, 4" turbo back Magnaflow, Genuine Nippondenso Hi-torque starter, DP Tuner F6 (No Start, 1200 High Idle, 80e, 60e, 60t, Decel, 40t), ISSPRO EV2 guages (EGT, Trans Temp, Boost), BTS VB, 6.0 trans cooler, Firestone Ride-Rites w/ Air Ride Digital Control, Pre-pump mods and filter, harpooned, 2WD Low Mod.

Montana Mountaineer
347THT toy hauler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 10:56 PM

So is the Denso the BIG direct drive, or the smaller gear reduction type?

From my research, the large, Direct drive starter is the way to go, and the gear reduction one is a band-aid.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 09:47 AM

My Photos: (18)
So did you end up getting a real Denso starter or the replica Denso?

The thread you referenced had links to both. I'm currently in need of a starter, and it sounds like the authentic Denso starter is the best choice for our engines.

I'm wondering if there are any clear markings or stampings on the starter itself to tell if you got an authentic Denso starter.

2002 F-350 7.3L PSD CC SWB Dark Shadow Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Sorry I didn't get back to this thread for so long. Other things broke (on the motorcycle) so been busy with that.

Yes, I got the real, Japanese made Denso starter, not a Chinese knock-off. It is an offset gear reduction starter. The only other ones I ran across for the 7.3 was the Mitsubishi-style planetary gear reduction starter. I didn't see one that was direct drive. From what I've read, it would take one heck of a motor to spin a diesel direct drive.

About the only way you can tell the real Nippondenso is by the green sticker on the motor that says "Made in Japan". I thought I could see some other differences from the Chinese one, but didn't have them side by side so can't say for sure. Insides are probably what's most different. Plus the real one has a 2 year warranty instead of just 1 year.

2002 F250 CC LB 4WD - AIS w/ trimmed snorkel, 4" turbo back Magnaflow, Genuine Nippondenso Hi-torque starter, DP Tuner F6 (No Start, 1200 High Idle, 80e, 60e, 60t, Decel, 40t), ISSPRO EV2 guages (EGT, Trans Temp, Boost), BTS VB, 6.0 trans cooler, Firestone Ride-Rites w/ Air Ride Digital Control, Pre-pump mods and filter, harpooned, 2WD Low Mod.

Montana Mountaineer
347THT toy hauler
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 08:16 AM

My Photos: (18)
I was able to get a real Denso also. Mine does have the "Made in Japan" sticker too. Even though I checked the Denso web site to verify compatability with the 7.3L, I thought I must have been sent the wrong model due to it's size. That thing is huge compared to the OEM. I did have to trim " inch x 4" notch out of the crossmember. Other than that it wen tin fine. And of course the power you hear when the thing starts is crazy!

2002 F-350 7.3L PSD CC SWB Dark Shadow Gray
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 03:35 PM

I have a DB electric starter that has started to act up. It will just give me a click and no telling when it will want to work. It only happens on occasion but I am getting ready to go on a rd trip and can't take any chances.

Got my authentic Denso from LarryB's yesterday and installed this morning. Sound seems a little different than DB but housings are the same. I am going to pull apart the DB and see if I can use Larrys repair parts to get it fixed.
Larry assured me that I should never have any issues but some parts should be replaced around 150K miles. Pricey but worth the cost if I never have issues.

03 F350 7.3L Auto CC LB Dually 410's (LS Rear)

PHP/Beans, 1023, SDK, GH tuned/250/100 FF inj's, Irate T4 w/369SXE, Swamps HVHF IDM, BTS Tranny, Strictly Diesel complete fuel system with RR & FB delete.
Autometer Nexus Guages, 4"MBRP, DieselSite Coolant filtration system/billet housing/HP X-Over line. Donaldson Blue(6637)/AFE BHAF, RR Boots/ Billet Plenums, ('06) 26 row Tranny & PS Cooler, LarryB's Genuine Denso Starter
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

INFERNL - Can't say for sure, but from what I saw when I tore mine apart, I suspect the only internals you may be able to use from a genuine Denso on the Chinese version is the solenoid contact kit. But that may be all you need if it's clicking. Probably Larry's does too, but Nations Starter sells the solenoid kit and they have a video showing how to replace it.

Montana Mountaineer
347THT toy hauler
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danneffgr View Post
INFERNL - Can't say for sure, but from what I saw when I tore mine apart, I suspect the only internals you may be able to use from a genuine Denso on the Chinese version is the solenoid contact kit. But that may be all you need if it's clicking. Probably Larry's does too, but Nations Starter sells the solenoid kit and they have a video showing how to replace it.
Thanks for the info. I will look into it when I find motivation to pull it apart. Hopefully we will have long trouble free performance from our starters and i will not need another one. It will take me a long long time to put that many miles on my truck.
I think I drive approx 6k a yr and start the truck 2 times a day usually; so I should be good.

03 F350 7.3L Auto CC LB Dually 410's (LS Rear)

PHP/Beans, 1023, SDK, GH tuned/250/100 FF inj's, Irate T4 w/369SXE, Swamps HVHF IDM, BTS Tranny, Strictly Diesel complete fuel system with RR & FB delete.
Autometer Nexus Guages, 4"MBRP, DieselSite Coolant filtration system/billet housing/HP X-Over line. Donaldson Blue(6637)/AFE BHAF, RR Boots/ Billet Plenums, ('06) 26 row Tranny & PS Cooler, LarryB's Genuine Denso Starter
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 07:20 AM

I'm wondering if "I" got a REAL Denso...

I'm having issues with my starter (intermittent 1 click) since changing to high torque starter.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...5/#post4240697

I had originally replaced my tired Stock smaller starter with the HD one from DB Electronics in September 15' soon after I've been getting the intermittent 1 click issue. I went to my local supposedly reliable alternator/starter guy who sold me a "new" identical starter he said was a Denso ($175). I'm not sure if it really is. I didn't know till after reading this thread about the green sticker and I didn't notice one when I swapped it out. Well I was STILL having the interm. 1 click issue. I then went back to my local shop/guy, when he suggested it could be something else (relay, cables, bad tooth on fly wheel, etc.) Since the relay was a quick cheap & easy item to try, I had changed that out. It's only been a day since but approx 5-6 starts it's been good...

I was trying the link from the other thread you mentioned, for the but it doesn't seem to be working. If the continues to happen I have no problem buying another starter (A real Denso) if that solves my problem. We're going RVing again this week and hate to get stranded with the family in the middle of no where...

My album; past and present projects:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-mytmousef350
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"BLUE OX" 02' F350 QuadCAB LB-Tuk-it retractable cap-Hadley Ambas.AirHorns-Blk Widow rmt strt/alrm-GarminGPS-SiriusSAT-DVD-LineX-ReeseSIG.5thwhl-frnt 2"receiver-ton LED'Sw/side running light blinker mod-Golight remoteSPOT-MidlandWEATHER/CB/200amp,Wilson5000ANT-new drive shafts-CPS recall-BANKS POWER PACKw/Pwr elbow,Gauges/pillar,Trans cm-Bilsteins-Steering Stab-Michelin LTX M/T tires-Zoodad Mod-Donaldson Air w/fender mod-6.0 trans cooler mod.-AIS-AIH mod-CCV mod-remove fuel ck valve-Stancor GPR-Marinco plug-Deep trans pan-Airlift airbags w/on board compressor/gauge-AMSoil synthetic oil all-c better mirrors-Needle bearning svc w/vac switch 4 auto hubs-New ALT-New batts 950cca-hood scoops-"Blue Ox" decals-203* thermo w/dual alt hose-55w 6000 HID's-8 New injector cups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in