Finally Upgrading to Ceramic Bellowed Pipes - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Finally Upgrading to Ceramic Bellowed Pipes

Got leaking up-pipes and I'm going to dive into the ceramic bellowed up-pipes. Found these online. Riffraff Diesel: International Bellowed Up-pipe Kit 99.5-03 Looking for the best for the $$$. Any one found a better price?

2003 E350 SUper Duty 15pass Van 7.3
2002 Excursion 7.3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 10:44 PM

I think thats about the going rate. Not too sure ceramic coating is worth the price IMO. Wonder if that heat wrap would be more effective and cheaper. If I had plenty of money, I would go ahead and spend the money, but I can use that $136 for other things.

03 F350 7.3L Auto CC LB Dually 410's (LS Rear)

PHP/Beans, 1023, SDK, GH tuned/250/100 FF inj's, Irate T4 w/369SXE, Swamps HVHF IDM, BTS Tranny, Strictly Diesel complete fuel system with RR & FB delete.
Autometer Nexus Guages, 4"MBRP, DieselSite Coolant filtration system/billet housing/HP X-Over line. Donaldson Blue(6637)/AFE BHAF, RR Boots/ Billet Plenums, ('06) 26 row Tranny & PS Cooler, LarryB's Genuine Denso Starter
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 07:10 AM

Send a message via MSN to rammertide07
Yea, I'm going with RiffRaff when I buy mine in the next couple of weeks.

I wouldn't get ceramic coated pipes unless I was making some mad power.

Edit: couldn't wait, had to buy them today. Now to call my mechanic...

2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/ Aeroforce Interceptor/ BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/ 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /DIY 6637/ TS chip reburned with PHP tunes/160/stock FFD/PowerSlot rotors and green EBC pads/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rammertide07; 04-23-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 03:15 PM

You should either email or call Jake at Irate Diesel ( Irate Diesel performance ?Power Stroke Performance ). I'm not sure how much it is for just up pipes, since i just bought a turbo and mounting kit today. I dont know if the price will be the same or not since i bought a whole kit, but he quoted me an extra $75 to ceramic coat the up pipes. All of that being said....i opted not to go that route. You need to be making some serious power to make the ceramic coating worth it. Hope that helps a bit.

2000 F350 lariat, crew cab, long bed, 4x4, 3.73 limited slip

LASB turbo from Irate Diesel
Bellowed up-pipes
4" turbo back exhaust
Gauges (EGT, Trans Temp, Boost)
AFE Stage 2 XP Pro Guard 7
DP Tuner F6 (no start, stock, 80e, 60e, 60t)
AIH delete and CCV mod
F650 Dash with Carling switches
2002 Headlights with FX-R HID bi-xenon projector retrofit and 50W 5000K bulbs
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like I don't need to spend the extra $$ for ceramic. I drive a pretty stock 7.3. I don't plan on mod'in it up in the near future. I just need to stop my leaks. Man I love this website.

2003 E350 SUper Duty 15pass Van 7.3
2002 Excursion 7.3
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 01:13 AM

Location: Central PA and a place 80miles outside of Nashville, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53fordguy View Post
You should either email or call Jake at Irate Diesel ( Irate Diesel performance ?Power Stroke Performance ). I'm not sure how much it is for just up pipes, since i just bought a turbo and mounting kit today. I dont know if the price will be the same or not since i bought a whole kit, but he quoted me an extra $75 to ceramic coat the up pipes. All of that being said....i opted not to go that route. You need to be making some serious power to make the ceramic coating worth it. Hope that helps a bit.

What exact power range should you be producing before there ceramic pipes are "worth it"?
Since i am starting to look Irate for both turbo and entire kit, would there be any DISADVANTAGES, other than cost, of getting there ceramic coating in preparation for future upgrades?

Just seems to me if i am already purchasing the kit, get all features for future upgrades.... Unless adverse effects in the interim.

Thoughts?

Ps. Also, any thoughts on the Irate fuelabs 41401 pump & return system?

Thanks all!!

2000 F350 XLT CC DRW 7.3L 6spd; BANKS Git-Kit (Exhaust + Chip) 179,000mls {NEW TO ME JUL2012 YAY!}
==========================================
1993 BMW K1100LT; Russell Daylong Seat, PIA 1100x, 50W HID 146,000mls
1988 BMW 535i 290,000mls
1997 Triumph Adventurer 900

Deceased 2004 Chevy Suburban (Totaled by spouse... not bitter, really)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 07:37 PM

Dorman now sells a set of aftermarket bellowed up pipes for less than half what u pay for the IH ones part number is 679005 i think and best place to get em would be stockwiseauto.com and i think u get a discount if u type the word stockwise2012 at checkout

Chris... 00 Ford F350 4x4 Reg Cab 7.3 Zf6, Dual A Pillar Guage Pod Boost and Pyro.,Dp Tuner F5 Chip, Midwest Trans short throw,S&B Cold Air Intake,Moto Metal 951 Wheels, Michelin ltx At2, 4" Mbrp Straight Pipe Exhaust into 6" Black Stainless Mitre Tip, T500 HPOP, Foil Delete, Marinco Mod, Custom Built Coolant filtration
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tncoalroller88 View Post
Dorman now sells a set of aftermarket bellowed up pipes for less than half what u pay for the IH ones part number is 679005 i think and best place to get em would be stockwiseauto.com and i think u get a discount if u type the word stockwise2012 at checkout
Based on my experience with Dorman, I wouldn't use their products for anything important. Replacement pedal covers or door knobs is one thing, fuel and exhaust another.

Another member here bought the Dorman and had some problems. But his problems might have been caused by the coating he had applied to them.
Ordered the Dorman Bellowed up pipes

2002 F-250 CCLB 4x4 XLT, 7.3, ZF-6 with Midwest Short-throw shifter, ESOF, 3.73 R&P, HPx line, FRx, Racor prefilter before pump, Amsoil bypass filter, Coolant filter too
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 06:28 PM

Seems like the problem he had wasn't enough to discredit the Dorman pipes...I wish they made them for my early 99.

Early 99 F350 4X4 CC 7.3 Auto. A.R.E. Topper, bed carpet/bench inserts, Rhino grill guard, AIS w/sleeve, Fuel filler mod, GOS headlight harness, 02-04 Headlights, Rancho HD stabilizer, 06 Telescoping/heated mirrors with C-Btr Mirrors, Hella FF1000, Htr Bypass valve, front receiver hitch, Quadzilla XZT gauges, ITP Pre-pump/In-tank mods, Pioneer P5000UB w/XM radio, 4 Infinity Kappa 682.7cf, Fumoto valve, FIAMM Highway blaster horns, SS HPX, IDM mod, DP F5 (Stock,Drive-thru,60T,80E,120,80E-Mountain,1200), Walker BTM, RR, Dieselsite BRV, BTS Tranny (2nd one :-), 31 row tranny cooler, Bilstein shocks, Amsoil bypass oil filter, Stancor HD Glow Plug Relay, billet thermostat housing, front & rear parking cameras, Aux reverse lights, Heated Seats.

Security: CrimeGuard Alarm with remote notification, DIY jimmi-jammers, door cylinder locks and linkage removed, padlocked rear bench seat hinge, PCM, DIY "pitstop" switch.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Noob View Post
What exact power range should you be producing before there ceramic pipes are "worth it"?
Since i am starting to look Irate for both turbo and entire kit, would there be any DISADVANTAGES, other than cost, of getting there ceramic coating in preparation for future upgrades?

Just seems to me if i am already purchasing the kit, get all features for future upgrades.... Unless adverse effects in the interim.
I'm curious about this as well. Anybody know the numbers?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

F-250 4x4 crew cab short bed. banks ram air CAI, banks big head, banks power elbow, 5"diamond eye turbo back, afe intake manifold, overboost annihilator, edge juice with attitude, EBPV delete pedestal, wicked wheel, TC lock up switch, 16% tint all around, smoked recon lights, 06 dodge smoked cab over lights, soon to come: garret ball bearing turbo, 6.0 spearco intercooler, suncoast tranny upgrade, eaton locker, and complete amarillo interior.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgp17 View Post
Based on my experience with Dorman, I wouldn't use their products for anything important. Replacement pedal covers or door knobs is one thing, fuel and exhaust another.

Another member here bought the Dorman and had some problems. But his problems might have been caused by the coating he had applied to them.
Ordered the Dorman Bellowed up pipes

I think his issue was installation technique. If you read down in the post another member had the same issue with IH pipes. Like I said in my post install all parts loose then pull everything up evenly.

2003 F-250 Lariat 7.3 PSD Auto 4X4, Stock with Banks Ram Air intake, IAH Delete, Amsoil fluids, Amsoil bypass filter system, Dieselsite coolant filter, 285/75R-16 BFG A/Ts, Autometer quad pod (boost, pyro, fuel psi, trans temp, GPR light), Marinco mod, Hutch mod, Harpoon mod.

Last edited by 7MAGMIKE; 12-03-2012 at 05:19 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 03:56 PM

Won't the ceramic coating help keep the pipes from rusting?

1999 f350 4x4 drw crew cab auto trans, Hydra chip, AFE II air filter,ftvb,full force stage 1 inj., gtp38r turbo,ccv mode, autometer gauges , 135,000 miles. 1996 dodge cummins auto trans 4x4 reg. Cab boss vee plow. no mods all stock 240,000 miles
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 10:35 PM

I have a set of SLP headers on a 1992 Z28 which I had Jet Hot coated about 10 years ago. They have very light surface rust on them, these are 409 stainles steel headers which will exibit some rust staining but are pretty much rust resistant but the Jet Hot coating does have a light coating of this surface rust unless you remove the headers and polish them periodically. So no in my opinion coatings will not completely stop corrosion. It does help though.

2003 F-250 Lariat 7.3 PSD Auto 4X4, Stock with Banks Ram Air intake, IAH Delete, Amsoil fluids, Amsoil bypass filter system, Dieselsite coolant filter, 285/75R-16 BFG A/Ts, Autometer quad pod (boost, pyro, fuel psi, trans temp, GPR light), Marinco mod, Hutch mod, Harpoon mod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in