Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com (https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/)
-   '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine (https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   Fuel and oil crossover install results (FRx and HPx) (https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f25/fuel-oil-crossover-install-results-frx-hpx-351106/)

farnorthdriver 06-13-2013 04:43 PM

Fuel and oil crossover install results (FRx and HPx) and question.

Completed the Riffraff FRx and HPx install. Did both at the same time so can not speak to which produced what results.
The results of the install were quite noticeable. The engine is much quieter now from idle all the way through it rpm range and idle seems a bit smoother.
There's something I don't understand about the noise reduction so if anybody has any theory's please chime in.
I have a DP-Tuner chip with a few different tunes. Pre-FRx/HPx install, there was a large increase in engine noise when moving from the stock tune to any DP-Tuner tune. That is, you're idling in the stock tune and you then select a DP-Tuner tune and the idle noise level would bump up noticeably. And acceleration from off idle up through to cruise was also noticeably louder in any of my DP-Tuner tunes vs the stock tune. --To the point where if I was in a neighborhood early or late I'd select the stock tune just for its quietness.
Now, after the FRx/HPx install, all my DP-Tuner tunes are as quiet as the stock tune. This is surprising to me! The DP tunes were so significantly louder than the stock tunes and now after the install, they're not. How is that? What's going on? I was curious enough to call Jody at DP-Tuner but was too late and they were closed for the day. If I find anything out, I'll post back here.

53fordguy 06-14-2013 01:15 AM

I'm curious what response you get. I don't have either the FRX or the HPX, but I have noticed the noise difference. Like you, if it's late, I will swap to the stock tune to make myself quieter. I've noticed the noise increase in all my tunes as well, not just one tune.

redrocker 06-14-2013 08:55 AM

I just did mine last week nice mod :)

[email protected] 06-14-2013 12:17 PM

The goal of the FRx and HPx is to quiet down engine operation on the fuel side, and smooth out the engine on the oil side.

It does so on the fuel side by giving air an alternative route to exit instead of forcing it through the injectors. Air in fuel causes noise when going through an injector. The FRx routes the aerated fuel back to the tank.

It does so on the oil side because it stabilizes the oil pressure in both rails by connecting them together. This usually does not effect noise, but sometimes helps with the steadiness of idle.

As for your results... It may just be quieter because the parts you installed are doing their job. Our tunes should not be a lot louder than stock anyway. They do increase noise a little bit though because ICP is increased.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

farnorthdriver 06-14-2013 12:53 PM

I agree redrocker, they are really great mods.
As for the install of the FRx, as my hands are extremely large and the fuel rail plugs were very tight I had a absolutely heinous time putting this simple mod in! I'm not overstating things when I say it was the most frustrating, awkward, difficult and swear infested mechanical thing I've ever done! Looking back on it I laugh but at the time, wow. --And I read more than a few posts of people having no problem putting them in. Maybe more a testament to my mechanical skills :-)

[email protected] 06-14-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farnorthdriver (Post 2517570)
I agree redrocker, they are really great mods.
As for the install of the FRx, as my hands are extremely large and the fuel rail plugs were very tight I had a absolutely heinous time putting this simple mod in! I'm not overstating things when I say it was the most frustrating, awkward, difficult and swear infested mechanical thing I've ever done! Looking back on it I laugh but at the time, wow. --And I read more than a few posts of people having no problem putting them in. Maybe more a testament to my mechanical skills :-)

Getting that passenger side fuel rail plug out was not fun, was it? :icon_wink: :thumbsup:

2002F250 06-17-2013 06:42 AM

[[email protected];2517538] Our tunes should not be a lot louder than stock anyway. They do increase noise a little bit though because ICP is increased.[QUOTE]

What do you consider "a lot" as far as the noise goes? Because on my truck, there is a significant difference in noise under acceleration in any of my tunes, compared to stock. It didnt really used to bother me, but I must be getting old now. lol

[email protected] 06-17-2013 12:27 PM

[quote=2002F250;2521274][[email protected];2517538] Our tunes should not be a lot louder than stock anyway. They do increase noise a little bit though because ICP is increased.
Quote:

What do you consider "a lot" as far as the noise goes? Because on my truck, there is a significant difference in noise under acceleration in any of my tunes, compared to stock. It didnt really used to bother me, but I must be getting old now. lol
Yes, there will be a change in pitch/sound, but it should not be drastic. Has it always been like this?

barnhartal 06-17-2013 03:24 PM

My on 80 HP economic tune is very noticeable. Worst is running down the road about 55 or so. Actually any steady cruise speed. Bump it in to stock and instantly quieter.

53fordguy 06-17-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barnhartal (Post 2522106)
My on 80 HP economic tune is very noticeable. Worst is running down the road about 55 or so. Actually any steady cruise speed. Bump it in to stock and instantly quieter.

Same here, I thought that was "normal" so I learned to deal with it. I didn't realize that the tunes were supposed to be close to stock in terms of noise.

2002F250 06-18-2013 06:40 AM

[[email protected];2521826][quote=2002F250;2521274]
Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 2517538)
Our tunes should not be a lot louder than stock anyway. They do increase noise a little bit though because ICP is increased.

Yes, there will be a change in pitch/sound, but it should not be drastic. Has it always been like this?

Yup, always been that way for me. I agree with the guys above, I thought it was normal and dealt with it, not knowing the noise levels were supposed to be close to stock. Would it help if I recorded a video and tried posting it here or sending it to you somehow?

[email protected] 06-18-2013 06:29 PM

As I have stated, it is okay/normal for an increase in cackle noise. The increased ICP is what this results from. What I mean by my statements above is that it is not normal for a drastic increase in noise. Videos are hard decipher noise from. If you have been using the tunes successfully for some time, there should be no problem.

Drastic increases in noise can come from fuel issues as well, such as the case of the OP. Also, worn out poppets in the injectors can cause excessive noise as well.