Fuel pressure gauge install - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel pressure gauge install

Going to be adding a fuel pressure gauge to the truck soon. Isspro installation manual recommends a "snubber" to be used before the pressure sending unit. Do I have to add this part? Anyone not using it? Will it hurt the gauge or cause it to be to erratic. Any input is appreciated.

From the Install manual: Install Snubber kit R78828 with the 7/16 SAE O-ring adaptor threaded into the test port on the fuel bowl.

2002 F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 7.3L Lariat 2WD 131,000mi; 4in turbo back custom exhaust, Garrett GTP38R turbo, Riffraff intercooler boots, Dorman Up-Pipes, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, Scangauge II, ISSPRO EV2 Boost-EGT-Trans temp-Fuel pressure Gauges, DP T-5 Tuner (stock ,60HP tow, Decel, 60HP highway econo, 80HP city econo), Dieselsite coolant filtration, Max Air A/C mod, foglight mod, AIH delete, LED interior, back up camera, hid foglights.

I have AE if you are in San Diego area and need help. Send PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 08:57 PM

The snubber is for fuel pressure spikes keeps from damaging the sender . I donít run one on my 7.3 and have had a gauge on it for ten years and only replaced one gauge sender do to damaging it wile working on the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jleedog likes this.

2000 F250 7.3 4inc exhaust, Ts 6 pos chip witch custom tunes, Built 4R100 w billet triple disc converter, 6.0 trans cooler and deep tans pan, CCV mod, 4 gauge pod A piller,Boost,Trans temp,EGT,fuel pressure AFE intake,RIFFRAFF Frx fuel Rail dead head fix black spring,High Flow banjo bolts,High Flow CVD Fitting, Harpoon mod,Diesel site adrenaline HPOP,AIH Plug,Plenum Reinforcing Inserts. FULL FORCE DIESEL STAGE 1.5 single shot injectors, Garrett powermax GTP38R and blank pedestal, RIFFRAFF Intercooler CAC Boots with complete clamp kit , scanegauge 2
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 09:13 PM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

Same here. Over 100k on my ISSPRO sending unit attached straight to the back of the fuel bowl. Never had a problem.

jleedog likes this.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say, "Hey, look - that one is shaped like an idiot!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Did you guys both mount the sender directly to the bowl, or a remote location because of vibration?

2002 F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 7.3L Lariat 2WD 131,000mi; 4in turbo back custom exhaust, Garrett GTP38R turbo, Riffraff intercooler boots, Dorman Up-Pipes, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, Scangauge II, ISSPRO EV2 Boost-EGT-Trans temp-Fuel pressure Gauges, DP T-5 Tuner (stock ,60HP tow, Decel, 60HP highway econo, 80HP city econo), Dieselsite coolant filtration, Max Air A/C mod, foglight mod, AIH delete, LED interior, back up camera, hid foglights.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 10:30 PM
RT

Mine is directly to the bowl with this adapter- http://www.dieselorings.com/1999-200...-1-8-fnpt.html

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say, "Hey, look - that one is shaped like an idiot!"
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Help please, Finished install today with the pressure sending unit installed on the passenger side port of the fuel bowl. Fired the truck up and it reads 25 psi steady. Have yet to drive it yet, the truck runs fine. Shouldn't I have at least 40 PSI at idle? Any suggestions? I have a new Bosch pump that I have been meaning to install. Does the sending unit need to purge out the air by driving? Or is it possible I have a bad gauge/ sending unit. I figure Isspro would be a good brand.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 08:11 AM
RT

ISSPRO is a great brand. Air clears out almost instantly since fuel goes past the regulator and back to the tank. You either have a supply issue (pump / clogged filter in the tank) or a regulator with a weak spring or bad seat. See what happens when you accelerate aggressively.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

OK spoke with an isspro tech today and we did some tests with a voltmeter with the gauge and sending unit. Everything checked out fine. The Tech told me that he has an pre 99 7.3l that has the same pressure when running. He suggested a new fuel pump or rebuilding the fuel pressure regulator. So im going to start with a new fuel pump and see what happens. Will update when I know something.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 05:18 PM
RT

You should be able to narrow it down with the test I suggested. If it is a supply issue, when you accelerate, the pressure will plummet. If it is a regulator issue, it won't change.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

So I installed a new Bosch fuel pump and I gained 5psi on the gauge. 30psi and it drops 3-4 psi when I accelerate heavy. So I ordered a fuel pressure rebuild kit and housing from dieselorings. Thank you for your help. Will update soon

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:51 AM
RT

I think youíre on the right track. Be uber careful with the regulator housing- the threads snap off easily. Bob has a billet replacement if that happens.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

In anticipation of snapping off the fitting, I ordered the new billet housing and replacement nut and bushing as we as the rebuild kit. Wondering what spring I should put in when I do the work?

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:46 AM
RT

The silver should be fine. 60 psi is your ideal pressure. Iíve never seen a benefit of going higher. Just more work for the pump.

jleedog likes this.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so I rebuilt the entire fuel bowl (thanks Dieselorings.com) Including the new housing for the pressure regulator and new poppet and seat.. New fuel filter (thanks Amazon). Fired up the truck and I now have 75psi at idle. WOW! I did not take RTs advise and use the silver spring. I used the gold one. I am planning on upgrading injectors soon, and I wonder if I might need that extra fuel pressure for them. Should I keep it at 75psi or should I take RTs advise and put the silver spring in and drop it down a few PSI to save wear and tear on the pump. Isspro gauge seems very stable even at WOT. Pressure got as high as 78PSI on the gauge when test driving. I swear the truck seems a bit more responsive now and may have a few more HP. I cant wait to tow and see if will improve my EGT.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:15 AM

Take RT's advice.

2002 F350 7.3 psd supercab dually 2wd, AIS, Moog joints, Bilstein, Michelin Defender LTX, Dieselsite coolant filter, red ELC, prepump spin-on fuel filter, 254,500 miles, hutch/harpoon mod, marinco mod, scan gauge ll, Zoodad, Dieselsite boots, pedestal delete, CNC Fab w/ crossover oil lines, 6.0 trans cooler, replaced oil pan, Walker BTM, Denso starter

1974 CJ6 ... off the frame needs work
2013 Expedition... wife's car
Panhead ... 53 motor, 51 tanks, B grind cam, S&S carb, points, drum brakes ... It doesn't just sit in the garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in