Has anyone done a '05-'07 axle conversion in an '99-'04? - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 09:53 AM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggodeaux View Post
Veg, I'm impressed with your taking on this project, but I'm confused: the picture of the white truck on the lift in #8 looks nothing like the 2000 in your sig - badges look like an '03 or later 6.0 truck.
Judging by the oil filter I see under the engine, it looks like a 7.3 truck with 6.0 badges.

2002 F-250 CCLB 4x4 XLT, 7.3, ZF-6 with Midwest Short-throw shifter, ESOF, 3.73 R&P, HPx line, FRx, Racor prefilter before pump, Amsoil bypass filter, Coolant filter too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggodeaux View Post
Veg, I'm impressed with your taking on this project, but I'm confused: the picture of the white truck on the lift in #8 looks nothing like the 2000 in your sig - badges look like an '03 or later 6.0 truck. I thought you were mounting '05+ axles on the 2000? Or is the truck on the lift the donor? It looks pristine - why not buy the donor and mount your 2000 7.3L/ZF-6 veggie set-up in it?
The truck on the lift is a 2000. I upgraded the badges after the original ones looked kinda tired.

The headlights are the '07 as well. But the grill and front bumper are 2000.

2000 F250 2WD 7.3L, 265,000 Miles, 6spd Manual, Hypertech programmer, 4" Flowmaster Exhaust,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ITP Fuel Tank /
, Pioneer Avic-X710BT,
. 2006 Front and Rear axles and suspension parts installed.
post #18 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 03:30 PM

I did the same swap about 7 mos ago. I never put out pictures yet but I do have them. I didnt read carefully about the other swap but one difference I did notice was I used a 05 up steering box. It solved the pitman arm issue. To use the 05 up you need to change one steering line to the 05 up style. Also the 3 bolts need to be drilled out to 18mm I believe and you need longer bolts because the frame on the newer trucks indents in and allows for shorter bolts but the older frame is wider and the newer bolts are too short. Everything lines up perfectly though. I bought new coil spring mounts and new radius arm brackets and they all line up pretty nice with the stock holes. The track bar bracket required drilling out two holes if I remember correctly. I would def. not re use the old steering box as your not gaining the full amount of the swap. The new box is much quicker and responsive compared to the old box and matches well with the new suspension. Actually that was the first thinG I noticed about the truck when I drove it. I have been driving it for about 6 mos and love it. But me being the way I am I couldnt leave it alone so I made a 4 link for it and added 4.5" Icon springs. I will post a picture of the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 03:45 PM

How the heck do I put pictures up?
post #20 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 04:12 PM

In the beginning
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3140009.JPG
Views:	6070
Size:	949.7 KB
ID:	14837  

post #21 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 04:13 PM

You mean you made a 4-link for the rear?

DOC

2001 4WD 7.3 PSD Excursion: Detroit TrueTrac Vs and CT's Mod Bs ProComp TB Pitman arm ICON Adj TB Tuff Country Ladder Bars Helwig Anti-Roll Bars Front and Rear 2003 Ex Front Bump Stops Superduty Rear Airbags CT's 4 Front and 2 rear Bilstein 5100s Top Gun Double Bilstein Steering Damper Red Head Steering Box 5 Degrees Positive Front Caster Stock wheels with Pirelli Scorpion ATs ART Rotors Porterfield R4S pads Walker BTM Zeibart
post #22 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 04:16 PM

Radius arm bracket mount.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P4040043.JPG
Views:	8363
Size:	804.6 KB
ID:	14838  

post #23 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 04:21 PM

Here is how it is today with the new springs
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P8040010.JPG
Views:	4974
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	14839  

post #24 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 04:24 PM

Heres my truck with the bumper I built after the lift. If it looks dirty its because it is. I drive 45 miles on dirt and farm roads a day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P8040012.JPG
Views:	4189
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	14840  

post #25 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 04:28 PM

Boy it is pretty dirty
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P8040008.JPG
Views:	6044
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	14841  

Name:	P8040016.JPG
Views:	5065
Size:	626.2 KB
ID:	14844  

Last edited by hawssie; 08-04-2012 at 11:02 PM.
post #26 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 05:08 PM

No. I did the stock conversion. I finished that then I thought about lifting it. Oh in the middle I built the bumper. I liked the Icon stuff but its so darn expensive so I built my own lift. I used Icon 4.5 springs and icon adjustable track bar and the rest I made. I used Johnnie Joints style bushings in the rear of the 4 links. The top ones are adjustable for alignment purposes. Made them out of 2"DOM. Fabbed up radius arm brackets in connection with the factory style brackets I had just installed for the axle swap. I Used Icon blocks in the rear and Billstien shocks all around. Made the swaybar links and bump stop mounts for the increased lift. I must have measured right because everything went on great and I dont seem to need an alignment as the tires are wearing great and no wandering. I just put it on and drove it. So far about 3k miles. It really drives like a stock setup no noises or rattling etc. I wouldn't do the 4 link unless you really want to as its not much of an improvement over a stock ride. The icon springs are a little stiffer.It does have much better susp. travel though. Also another point with the steering box is that since the newer 05 up axles are 3 inches wider the steering angle is increased along with better turning radius. The 05 box is made for the extra turning radius of the new lifts. Don't forget the 16 wheels wont fit on the new front axle! Not even close. I ended up using 16.5s beacause I like the price of them and military tire options) i know BFG dont make them anymore they have been saying that for 15 years) But with even 16.5s I had to do a fair amount of grinding on the front calipers.So make sure you use 17s or up. The hardest part for me was I needed to drive home from my shop every day. So I did it in stages. For instance I would drill out the holes and get things done then take it off so I could drive it again. Once I had finished all the fab work It took one long day to put it all on and I drove it back that night. I did have the great help of having an 06 sitting around for reference. Non runner though(what a suprise!). But after looking it all over I was able to see how easy the swap really was. So many holes are already there. And the factory brackets from Ford are designed to be bolted on for replacement purposes.
post #27 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

With the axle and radius arms together, we set it on the floor on wheels with the springs and lowered the truck down to it. Thank the LORD for a 10k vehicle lift.

The front axle got some work to bring her up to snuff. New u-joints (Precision), hub seals (Ford) and axle shaft seals (Ford). New upper and lower ball joints (Moog), and new EBC YellowStuff pads and a complete brake fluid flush with Dot4.

The original rear leaf springs were rebuilt with added leafs and re-arched, adding 2.5" of lift without the use of lift blocks.

2000 F250 2WD 7.3L, 265,000 Miles, 6spd Manual, Hypertech programmer, 4" Flowmaster Exhaust,
, ITP Fuel Tank /
, Pioneer Avic-X710BT,
post #28 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

The truck has been my daily driver for over a week with only minor issues.

The speedo had to be recalibrated so I used by tuner for that task.

I took the truck into Firestone for an alignment. Toe was REALLY out and the steering wheel was clocked to 2:00 so the steering arm needed adjustment.

Check out the speedometer and tach. NEVER saw that RPM range at highway speed...

, ITP Fuel Tank /
, Pioneer Avic-X710BT,
post #29 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegoilrecycler View Post
Check out the speedometer and tach. NEVER saw that RPM range at highway speed...
Did you change R&P ratio? That's the speed/RPM combo I have with 3.73's, 285x75R16's, and a ZF-6 (0.72:1 OD), 70 MPH @ 2,000 RPM.

2002 F-250 CCLB 4x4 XLT, 7.3, ZF-6 with Midwest Short-throw shifter, ESOF, 3.73 R&P, HPx line, FRx, Racor prefilter before pump, Amsoil bypass filter, Coolant filter too
post #30 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgp17 View Post
Did you change R&P ratio? That's the speed/RPM combo I have with 3.73's, 285x75R16's, and a ZF-6 (0.72:1 OD), 70 MPH @ 2,000 RPM.
What is R&P ratio? I just programmed the wheel diameter using my Hypertech.

, ITP Fuel Tank /
, Pioneer Avic-X710BT,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in