high egt's - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
high egt's

hey guys, i have an edge juice w/ attitude, recently, my egt's are reading 2000 plus degrees, i shut my truck off,let it cool down, and it stays on 2000 for what seems like a long time. a neighbor of mine used a laser thermometer and had no readings anywhere near 2 grand.driving home last night, it hit 2000plus and started skipping,little power. 03 7.3 superduty,any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 11:41 AM

Sounds like a bad thermocoupler. Maybe ditch the edge and get some real gauges on a pillar mount? Or try a new thermocoupler from EDGE if you can get a hold of one. I've had nothing but good luck with Autometer and Isspro gauges myself, but I know it's probably pretty sweet to have everything all in one unit. What does it read at idle on the guage and then with the laser thermometer? Should be 250-400 depending on where your probe is located.

Evan
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

high egt's

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocker444 View Post
Sounds like a bad thermocoupler. Maybe ditch the edge and get some real gauges on a pillar mount? Or try a new thermocoupler from EDGE if you can get a hold of one. I've had nothing but good luck with Autometer and Isspro gauges myself, but I know it's probably pretty sweet to have everything all in one unit. What does it read at idle on the guage and then with the laser thermometer? Should be 250-400 depending on where your probe is located.
thanks gor your reply, at idle after cooling down, it reads 200-350,but, after shutting it down, it stays on 2000 plus for a long time. with laser thermometer at exhaust and around turbo,250-300, also no turbo acto=ion at 2 grand,and some skipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 02:55 PM

Sounds like your gauge itself is having a problem. Have you checked the ground on it ?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 09:07 PM

If you were really hitting 2000 EGTs I'd think that your turbo would be toast. Probably gauge going out.

Early 99 F350 4X4 CC 7.3 Auto. A.R.E. Topper, bed carpet/bench inserts, Rhino grill guard, AIS w/sleeve, Fuel filler mod, GOS headlight harness, 02-04 Headlights, Rancho HD stabilizer, 06 Telescoping/heated mirrors with C-Btr Mirrors, Hella FF1000, Htr Bypass valve, front receiver hitch, Quadzilla XZT gauges, ITP Pre-pump/In-tank mods, Pioneer P5000UB w/XM radio, 4 Infinity Kappa 682.7cf, Fumoto valve, FIAMM Highway blaster horns, SS HPX, IDM mod, DP F5 (Stock,Drive-thru,60T,80E,120,80E-Mountain,1200), Walker BTM, RR, Dieselsite BRV, BTS Tranny (2nd one :-), 31 row tranny cooler, Bilstein shocks, Amsoil bypass oil filter, Stancor HD Glow Plug Relay, billet thermostat housing, front & rear parking cameras, Aux reverse lights, Heated Seats.

Security: CrimeGuard Alarm with remote notification, DIY jimmi-jammers, door cylinder locks and linkage removed, padlocked rear bench seat hinge, PCM, DIY "pitstop" switch.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 10:56 AM

My Photos: (5)
check your alternator...i know it sounds funny but my alternator just went out and caused the exact same thing to happen.it was pegged out,it fluttered.it was all over the place.

2002 f250 lariat 7.3 220k(motor has 190k)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

original 4r100 tranny....220k and counting
knock on wood....
red elc good for 150k
4r100 1-2 2-3 3-4sonnax accumulator valves,.427 sonnax line pressure mod valve
4.125"yes thats 4 1/8" diy tymar intake(size matters...lol)
AIH delete,ccv delete,zoodad mod,
4" exhaust no muff
built my own leafs for 4.0 of lift!!!!!!
18" xd bronze revolvers with 325 nittos to wrap them
isspro pyro and boost guages on pillar mount....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in