How important is the Boost Gauge? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How important is the Boost Gauge?

In my '97 I only put in a Pyro and Tran temp. gauge. My '99 will be used to and from work empty and pulling a fifth wheel in the summer on weekends. How important is a Boost gauge and what is the use for it. Knowing this my answer my question. A review of why the gauge is used would be helpfull. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 4x4, Automatic, CC/SB. Edge Evolution, ISSPRO Gauges and A- pillar mount.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 09:44 AM

My Photos: (13)
Re: How important is the Boost Gauge?

I use mine to make sure the turbo is working up to par because I have run it in the stock setting and with the tuner and taken note of the readings. If the readings ever drop off, I can possibly head off a problem with the turbo or perhaps see a leak in the system like boots needing tightened. Also, the turbo runs 16-18lbs. stock and with a chip, you can get to the 25lbs rating on the stock turbo in a hurry and you may want to back off at that point before getting a ses light.

REBORN 20 Over on 3/2/11- Pics in Gallary- 2000 F250, Auto, 38r, Full Force 238cc/100%, TE 17* hpop, DP F5,HI,60T,80E,120R,140A, Studs and 910's with DI PR's, ARI TC, JW VB, Walbro 392, TC Lock, Bellowed, In-Tank, Pre-Pump, boost fooler, and RR. Air Dog, SS cover, 6.0 TOC,4" straigt piped and guages, 6637, 203T, coolant filter, 4" Lift on 33's.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 10:42 AM

My Photos: (0)

Here's a senario of why you need a Boost Gauge:

Yer pull'n yer FW in the summer, up a hill/grade. Yer in the gear that you can maintain + or - 2600 RPM, you've got 15 to 20 lbs of boost built up and holding, yer EGTs are in the 8 to 950*, yer tranny is in the safe temp range.....

That means, yer make'n all the Horse-Power yer PSD will make (Top of the power curve), at the Boost pressure (Max >safe< boost) yer engine was was designed to make that power at, yer EGTs are within a safe range (no meltdown) and so is yer tranny (no parts on the road).... LIFE IS GOOD.

Take the Boost out of that equation ? you've lost one of the indicators of optimum engine performance. given the right/wrong conditions... you could over boost and set yer SES light, yer PCM will go into a De-fuel mode.... Loss of power (Jack Nicholson look)... Everything is relevent.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

JOE

2K, F-350, XLT, XCAB, 2WD, DRW, 6 Spd, 3.73LS, 4 Pod pillar mnt, EGT, Boost, Trans/Engine temp, Fuel press. guages, Quadzilla 50/75/120,ES AIS w/fender mod, Shimmed FPR, Dahl pre-pump filter, HX Mod, Racor (Mod'd) CCV, Premo oil Refiner, W/Wheel with both TAGs, Banks W/gate actuator, DT466 CPS, 6.0 Intercooler, Banks I/C tubes & DPP boots, 25psi BPRV, Full 4" exhst, AeroTurbine w/exhaust guide, MagnaFlow, Intake Heater Delete, Heater core bypass, 203* Thermo, Coolant Fltr., "Hutch" Tank & Fuel system Mods,fill pipe fix, Mag-Hytec Dif cvr, Fumoto, Bilstiens, SafeTplus Steering Dampner, Centramatic's, Ride Rites, SilverStars, Clear APC Head/Tail/Corner & all Marker lights, 2 850cca Optima's, Ultra Boards, Burlwood Dash, XM radio, Billit Grill (Black). TTMs/C-beters. Pull a 32 ft Montana FW. 102K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (1)

Sounds good to me. I think I'll put a Boost gauge on this one. I got the Evo in the mail today. I have to try it even though the gauges aren't in yet. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] But I'll be carefull. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

, 4x4, Automatic, CC/SB. Edge Evolution, ISSPRO Gauges and A- pillar mount.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 02:10 PM

My Photos: (0)

Don't do it! You'll regret it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

The boost gauge is indeed a handy reference. If you're modded, you can use it to keep yourself out of the danger zone. If you're not, you can use it to check for leaks.

Either case, I use mine to make sure I don't push it too hard until it is warmed up. I also use them to try to maximize economy. When pulling away from a stop, I try to keep my 7.3 below 5 psi, and my 6.0 below 8 psi.

"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." - Sir Winston Churchill

May your road stay clear & dry, may your fuel never gel, and may you never be outsmarted by your idiot lights.

2002 F-250 XLT SC LB 4x4 7.3PSD 6-Sp 3.73 L-S, Snugtop Snuglid Tonneau, 235/85 MC HTRs, <span style="color: red">DPTuner F5</span> AFE Stg II, Turbo LifeSaver, MAP BRV, Autometer Cobalts, Magnaflow 4", WW, TAG, AIH del, CCV, AirDog, In-tank, Harpoon, HPX, ITP fuel sys, LL8 del, 203*, Oilguard & SP Diesel bypass filtration, ART rotors, PFC pads, Heater Core Ctl Valve, Bilsteins, Velvet Ride Shackles, South Bend Clutch, <span style="color: green">21.27 mpg</span>

2004 <span style="color: red">E</span>-350
XLT Wagon 6.0PSD 3.55 L-S TDM EZ-Entry 11 pass., AIC, custom MBRP 4" w/dual Aeroturbines, Airdog, harpoon, Overhead Cobalts

. . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in