Hutch Mod - will the standard 15’ of rubber fuel line be long enough - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2002 F350 CC 8’ Box : I’m getting ready to order my Hutch Mod from Strictly Diesel. I would appreciate feedback from anyone having done the mod on a cc 8’ bed superduty. I plan on leaving fuel pump in it’s original location on frame rail. Will the 15’ of standard hose be long enough? Or do I need to spend the extra money for the 25’ hose?
I plan on buying two shut off ball valves for the filter base inlet/outlet also. Also, what is the best thread sealant to use to be compatible with the diesel fuel?
Thanks in advance for reply, Glenn

Last edited by Big Horn; 01-09-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 05:50 PM

I built my own Hutch mod and just added a inline filter using stock lines and pump. I think you will have plenty of line with 15' of line.

2002 f250 7.3 4x4 256,000miles. Bone stock other than hutch mode and edge evo programer I use for gadges most of the time. I also have air bags on back for towing.

Last edited by Texkenusmc; 01-10-2019 at 11:34 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:50 PM

My Photos: (180)
Agreed. 15' of hose is way more than you'll need. The pickup is just aft of the fuel fill, and the fuel pump is right under your @$$ as you sit in the seat. Maybe 10'. My entire Supercab long bed is just a bit over 21ft long bumper to bumper. Your truck is probably just a bit over 23 feet.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

I didn’t want to start a new post- but wanted to add this for newer members who aren’t familiar with the Hutch Mod just as I wasn’t. I believe this “reply” information I’ve edited from strictly diesel is very interesting. I did edit out the original OP’s name so as not to offend anyone:

The hutch mod was NOT developed as a "filter" setup. From day 1, when Mark Hutchinson released his findings from some testing he did (way back in the early days on Ford-Diesel.com which is now TheDieselStop.com), it was about engine noise, poor fuel economy and air in diesel fuel. There were a BUNCH of us working diligently on different aspects of the fuel system in 7.3L trucks back then. The main players were Mark Hutchison, myself, David Lott at Diesel Innovations, Bob Riley at DieselSite and a handful of individual truck owners. Mark got curious one day and installed a clear hose from the tank to the pump, and from the pump to the engine. What he saw was a crapload of air where it shouldn't be. He dropped the tank, got rid of the mixing chamber and got rid of the quick disconnect fittings and found that a HUGE amount of the air he was seeing in the hoses disappeared as well. It made a noticeable difference in the noise the engine made and as the rest of us tested his theories in our own vehicles and proved the concept, "hutch mod" kits were born. For years, while he was still active in the diesel community, Mark actively referred people to us because he liked how we laid out our kit. It wasn't about being the least expensive for us, it was about "doing it right". We used a spin-on filter instead of an inline because we saw air release with the inline filters. We made our brackets from S.S., used pushlok fittings and AN fittings for joint serviceability where possible, used top quality hose, etc.

In a nutshell, getting rid of the quick disconnects (the OE connectors you referred to) is one of the biggest reasons people actually do the "hutch mod". It's also the reason we perform the pain in the butt step of pushing the hose over the QD locking ridge on the tube, to make sure that the hose is 100% sealed against the tube and not letting any air in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in