hydra single shot "quiet tune" - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
hydra single shot "quiet tune"

This was two years ago but Im now curious.

I asked for a 40hp tune (forgot who I got the tune from) for towing and it was sent to me via email and had no issue installing.

After installing and running a trip I noticed the truck was SUPER loud. Even louder than stock. I know I am an early 99 with single shot injectors or at least I think I am so I know my truck is just loud in general.

So I called the tuner up (can likely find out who if it makes a difference to anyone) and explained that it was super loud and Id like a more aggressive transmission shift scheme as it would drop into OD and then drop out and back in and so on and so forth..

So they sent me a 40hp tow "quiet tune". This tune made a significant difference in the engine noise, quieted it down substantially.

So, Im curious as heck as to what was done and if it could hurt my truck in anyway. Just seemed odd that it wasnt sent right off the bat.

thanks to all you nut job experts out there.. not sure what Id do without you... well, I wouldnt own this truck for sure, Id need to spend $60k instead of $7500. So thankful as I dont have $60k to blow on a damn truck.

early 99, cone intake, stock 3.5" exhaust, muffler deleted. Edge Evolution CS

Last edited by Barchetta; 06-21-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 05:00 PM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

I know they can change parameters that will substantially alter the noise output. Advancing the timing makes it louder. Increasing ICP pressure seems to increase the volume. I had the same experience when I went to single shots - it got so loud it was unbearable and my MPG hit the toilet. Working with Jody to iron out some kinks - still a work in progress, but changing the tuning has dramatically quietened the engine and am getting close to what I had before as far as economy.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
I know they can change parameters that will substantially alter the noise output. Advancing the timing makes it louder. Increasing ICP pressure seems to increase the volume. I had the same experience when I went to single shots - it got so loud it was unbearable and my MPG hit the toilet. Working with Jody to iron out some kinks - still a work in progress, but changing the tuning has dramatically quietened the engine and am getting close to what I had before as far as economy.
Why in the world would you install single shots?

EDIT: after reviewing some of my posts I dont believe I have single shots.. and it was PHP who did my "quiet tune".

Apparently, Jay from PHP told me what is done sp Id have to dig deep for that 2016 email. Memory is failing at an alarming rate.. ugh how did I get to 54???????????????????

Last edited by Barchetta; 06-22-2019 at 07:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 09:37 AM

You get single shots when you want a lot of horse power and torque. Duh. Noise never bothered me, in fact I like it. Jody dropped my ICP down to 487 at idle, and it smooths it out quite a bit.

2002 F350 Super Duty, Crew Cab,Long box,4x4, 7.3 PSD, Complete rebuild .010 over by myself except balancing, 2000hp billet connecting rods, ARP main and head studs, ceramic coated pistons, Smith Bros Chrome Molly push rods, Comp Cams springs, shims and seals. Competion complete valve set and head grinding and vacuum tested, Adrenaline HPOP, DP Tuner Infinity DX programmer and full load of tunes modified for my new Stage 3 250 shot injectors, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds and up pipes and collector, BD Diesel triple clutch furnace brazed billet torque converter and BD pro engine brake and compressor set up, MBRP 4" stainless turbo back, Driven Diesel regulated fuel return system, AFE pro stage 2 cool air intake, riffraff billet Whicked Wheel 2 compressor wheel in a GTP38R turbo, riffraff blue cooler boot kit and coil clamps, International Double Ceramic Coated Bellowed Up Pipes
1999 Mustang GT Convertible Anniversary, rare stock electric green
2009 40' Raptor Velocity Toy Hauler
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 09:56 AM
RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barchetta View Post
Why in the world would you install single shots?
Like Absolute said - better power and economy. Split shots are ONLY for emissions. The first shot is a small amount of fuel to get a fire going and the second shot is sprayed into that flame. Allegedly reduces NOx, but in reality, just uses a bit of fuel every single injection that doesn't contribute to power. The single shot injector is more controllable by the programmer as well - gives them more margin to play with pulse width and such.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
You get single shots when you want a lot of horse power and torque. Duh. Noise never bothered me, in fact I like it. Jody dropped my ICP down to 487 at idle, and it smooths it out quite a bit.
"Duh. "?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in