Which Intake Upgrade - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Which Intake Upgrade

Let me apologize in advance for starting a thread which must have been covered again and again, but my eyes are bleeding from reading all those threads and I just want to make sure I've understood everything well enough to make the right call.

I have a 2001 F-350 with stock 7.3L and 67,000 miles. I'm the original owner.

I have boost, EGT, transmission temp, oil temp, oil pressure, and ammeter aftermarket gauges.

I use the truck mainly as an RV with a 9.5 foot Arctic Fox camper, and for occasional running around to gather materials for projects. The truck will never be a race truck, never make 500+hp, and never engage in pulls. It just needs to do what it has been doing, only better.

I'm pretty much decided to finally go with a chip upgrade, and based on Justin at DP Tuning's advice I'm going to go with 80hp Economy and 60hp Tow tunes for when the truck is empty and loaded. He recommended that I also upgrade the intake and exhaust.

I want improved flow, great filtering, and no additional noise (I have no desire to hear more of the turbo).

I also don't want to be oiling and/or maintaining filters other than pulling out the old and putting in the new.

So, I was initially interested in the Airaid (which DP carries) and AFE, but people talk about increased noise from the turbo. There are homebuilt versions of the same with the same drawback.

From all I can gather, Ford's AIS is what I want, because (correct me if I'm wrong), it offers improved flow, has a dry filter, and is still boxed in and thus should offer no more noise than the OEM setup.

What have I missed?

2001 F-350 Lariat Long Box Crew Cab 7.3L 4x4 Auto ESOF 3.73 Ltd Slip. Perma-Tech color matched spray-in bedliner, Clifton alarm, Jordan brake controller, pre-pump mod, Amsoil Dual Bypass oil filters, Westach Dual Gauges (boost/egt, tran temp/oil temp, oil press/ammeter) in 3-hole A-pillar mount, cool plastic alien dude, Firestone air bags with on board air, SuperHitch w/ TorkLift spring tie downs for 2003 Arctic Fox 990 camper, Warn multi-mount front mounted receiver hitch, TorkLift StableLoads, Ford AIS intake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 09:00 PM

Unless you want to break the 400 HP threshold, and from your post, I assume you do not. The Ford AIS is best suited to you criteria.

2002 F-250 CCLB 4x4 XLT, 7.3, ZF-6 with Midwest Short-throw shifter, ESOF, 3.73 R&P, HPx line, FRx, Racor prefilter before pump, Amsoil bypass filter, Coolant filter too
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 09:16 PM

I have an Airaid intake system, and have a 4" exhaust from the downpipe back, I'm waiting for Jody too get back from vacarion and a live tune out west so he can hook me up with some custom tuning. The great thing about Airaid is their warrenty, mine after 12yrs it was looking rough and my fuel mileage was starting to decline, so a e-mail and some pics of my intake and worn out filter Airaid replaced it free of charge

Remember the engine is a air pump, the easier in and out the better

2000 F-250 7.3L (DECEASED)
2001 F-250 7.3L CCSRW 4X4 (Replaced my 2000)
Airaid intake, ISSPRO guage's
PHP Hydra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 10:53 PM

Ford AIS, hands down.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2000 F250 Ext Cab Long Bed 7.3 Auto
Performance Red
Ford Severe Duty AIS w/Zoodad and fender sleeve, MBRP 4" Turbo Back, FRx, EGT/Trans/Boost gauges, AIH Delete Plug, Dieselsite Boots with Plenum Inserts, PHP Hydra, TransGo Shift Kit
Born in KY on 10/05/99

2005 F250 Lariat, CC, Short Box, FX4 - SOLD...loved that truck!
Arizona Beige/Tan
Magnaflow 4" Cat back
Leveled w/ Toyo Open Country A/T 285/75-18's
Bilstein 5100's
Born in KY on 12/07/04
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 04:06 AM

I like the fact that AIS looks factory but flows way better than stock. I installed one on my brother's rig and he noticed a difference.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

I've made my decision, and am trying to spend my money, but I'm having a hard time finding one......

2001 F-350 Lariat Long Box Crew Cab 7.3L 4x4 Auto ESOF 3.73 Ltd Slip. Perma-Tech color matched spray-in bedliner, Clifton alarm, Jordan brake controller, pre-pump mod, Amsoil Dual Bypass oil filters, Westach Dual Gauges (boost/egt, tran temp/oil temp, oil press/ammeter) in 3-hole A-pillar mount, cool plastic alien dude, Firestone air bags with on board air, SuperHitch w/ TorkLift spring tie downs for 2003 Arctic Fox 990 camper, Warn multi-mount front mounted receiver hitch, TorkLift StableLoads, Ford AIS intake.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienbogey View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I've made my decision, and am trying to spend my money, but I'm having a hard time finding one......
I think I can help you...go to AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake Parts (previously Tousley Ford Parts) They have the AIS intakes for a reasonable price and are also one of the Supporting Vendors for this site. Another good reason to go there.

Griz

02 F250, 4X4, 4R100, 3.73, B&M Transmission Pan, Edge CTS Digital Gage, Tymar 4" Exhaust, Tymar Intake & HPX & TS 6 Position Chip. IH Bellowed Up-Pipes, RiffRaff AIH delete plug, Riffraff FRx Kit. 6.0 Transmission Cooler. Dieselsite Coolant filter & Transmission filter & 203 Thermostat & WW2 & TurboMaster & inter-cooler boots. BD CCV filter. Driven Diesel Fuel Tank Mod & Pre-Pump Filter. John Wood's valve body.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

Try AutoNation Ford (formerly Tousley Ford). I've ordered a few things from them before. They were always helpful, and the prices were far lower than my local Ford dealer.

I think the part number you're looking for it FA-1759, but I could be wrong on that one. Hopefully someone will chime in and say if I'm right or wrong with the part number.

2000 F350 lariat, crew cab, long bed, 4x4, 3.73 limited slip

LASB turbo from Irate Diesel
Bellowed up-pipes
4" turbo back exhaust
Gauges (EGT, Trans Temp, Boost)
AFE Stage 2 XP Pro Guard 7
DP Tuner F6 (no start, stock, 80e, 60e, 60t)
AIH delete and CCV mod
F650 Dash with Carling switches
2002 Headlights with FX-R HID bi-xenon projector retrofit and 50W 5000K bulbs
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I've tried Auto Nation/Tousley, and Purediesel.com and Diesel Power Products - all out of stock.

I have located what appears to be one on eBay by using the FA-1759 part number.

Here is the listing - can someone who knows what they're looking at please confirm that it is the correct Ford AIS Severe Duty intake kit for an '01 F-350 7.3L?

If it is the correct kit I'll buy it from the guy, he as good feedback.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Well, based on everything I could find it looked right so I bought it.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Well, based on everything I could find it looked right so I bought it.
It looks right...but I don't have one so I can't be sure.

Griz

02 F250, 4X4, 4R100, 3.73, B&M Transmission Pan, Edge CTS Digital Gage, Tymar 4" Exhaust, Tymar Intake & HPX & TS 6 Position Chip. IH Bellowed Up-Pipes, RiffRaff AIH delete plug, Riffraff FRx Kit. 6.0 Transmission Cooler. Dieselsite Coolant filter & Transmission filter & 203 Thermostat & WW2 & TurboMaster & inter-cooler boots. BD CCV filter. Driven Diesel Fuel Tank Mod & Pre-Pump Filter. John Wood's valve body.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 04:41 PM

Rockauto has the best price on the ais intake but Tousley is where I get most of my oem parts, great people and prices

03 F350 7.3L Auto CC LB Dually 410's (LS Rear)

PHP/Beans, 1023, SDK, GH tuned/250/100 FF inj's, Irate T4 w/369SXE, Swamps HVHF IDM, BTS Tranny, Strictly Diesel complete fuel system with RR & FB delete.
Autometer Nexus Guages, 4"MBRP, DieselSite Coolant filtration system/billet housing/HP X-Over line. Donaldson Blue(6637)/AFE BHAF, RR Boots/ Billet Plenums, ('06) 26 row Tranny & PS Cooler, LarryB's Genuine Denso Starter
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 12:41 PM

Rockauto is where I purchased mine. You might be able to find a discount code on the forums somewhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in