Kovalsky, Smokey, klhansen & Woodnthings8 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Kovalsky, Smokey, klhansen & Woodnthings8

Your comments and write-ups on the 4R-100 transmission are interesting, informative & enlightening. Printed a lot of it out for future reference ... but now the future is here.

Just completed a 6000 mile trip to East Coast & back towing our 25' travel trailer. It was fun & good except for the 3 tire blowouts on the trailer the last 2 days of the trip. 5 new tires corrected that problem.

The last 50 miles had me on the edge of my seat because of EGTs (1200 degrees for 2-3 minutes) and TRANSMISSION temps. (220 degrees for maybe 10 minutes) Pulling the mountain out of Vegas to Pahrump was the longest, hard pull of the whole trip & it was 112 degrees outside!

The FIX: Run my programmer in the Tow-Safe mode instead of Performance and upgrade to the 26 row 6.0 trans cooler. Ordered mine yesterday from AutoNation Ford (formerly Tousley) ... They're great! I mistakenly ordered the 31 row but Mike quickly changed to the 5C3Z-7A095-CA unit before the part was shipped.

I'm going by "woodnthings8's" excellent write-up. My problem is: Where to get the 1/2" transmission fluid rated hose at some reasonable price. O'Reillys here in Pahrump will order it for me @ $15 per foot. I know it's precious, but it's not gold.

Any suggestions?? I'd appreciate it.
Emmitt

It's long, I know. I'm from Oklahoma and I talk slow.

'02 F-250 7.3 PSD. Toreador Red, Lariat long bed, 4-R100 trans, 4" turbo back exhaust, Pyro in both exhaust manifolds, X-Monitor, SuperChips 1705 Tuner, Mag-Hytec transmission pan & Diff cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 05:37 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Why not put the 31 row in? I just put one in my truck a few weeks ago when I put in my HD4r100 and it really seems to keep the temps down. I got all my stuff (tranny, cooler, and some other parts) from Mike as well.

As far as the hose goes I got mine at Oreilly's my receipt shows 6ft at 3.49/ft Item number 27059

On second thought that may be different size line since I went with the 31 row. At any rate here is the stuff I used http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...&keyword=27059

2013 F250 Platinum 4x4 CC 6.7- Carli Commuter 2.0 suspension, 18x9 BMF Novakane, 35 12.5 R18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT, Titan 50 gallon fuel tank

Black 2002 F350 XLT 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3L (build date 11-01) - Nitto Trail Grappler MT 35 12.5 R18 mounted on KMC XD Monster 18x9 Wheels, 4 inch ProComp Lift w/ dual front shocks, Bilstein steering stabilizer,Red-Head Steering gear, Ranch Hand-Full replacement front/rear bumpers, Leer Camper Shell, Autometer Triple guage pillar pod with Autometer Sport Comp Pyro and boost gages, Autometer Ultra lite digital Trans temp gage, DP Tuner (60hp econo, 60hp tow, 100 hp performance) w/ in dash mounted ex switcher,Ford AIS, International bellowed up pipes, FrX, Driven Diesel Fuel Tank / Pre-Pump Kit (Hutch Mod), HD4r100, 6.0 cooler, Stancor GPR, Dieselsite Max cold, Viper 3000 alarm, RBP RX-3 Nerf bars

Cosmetic upgrades: 2010 Tailgate, 2011 power folding/telescoping towing mirrors,

In the works: 2009 FX4 door panels with OEM switches, OEM backup camera and LCD rear view mirror, OEM Overhead console

Last edited by jposes; 06-18-2013 at 05:45 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 06:29 PM

I also used the 31 row cooler and the same hose from Oreilly's.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1999.5 F-250, 7.3L powerstroke diesel, extended cab Super Duty,short box, 8'-6" Fisher XTREMEV snowplow,Hypertech power programmer III,Banks Trans Command,Detroit locker in rear end,6 disc cd changer,brush quard,2 1/2" Tuff country leveling kit in front,285/75/16" ,Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar tires on MB wheels,Rancho RS9000X shocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Mark Kovalsky, an expert whose opinion I respect highly, has tested the 31 & 26 row coolers and the results show approximately equal cooling. Even tho the 26 row is smaller, it is more efficient, according to Mark and others on this forum.

31 row price before shipping: $378.76
26 row price before shipping: $280.00

Gates 27059 hose is 3/8" i.d. and O'Reilly here in town priced it @ about the price mentioned above. The 1/2" i.d. hose that I want, they can get it for me in a day or two, but the price is an exorbitant price...over $15 a foot. I'm not buying that.

I have no criticism of the 31 row cooler ... it's a good one and was my original choice ... I just decided to do the 26 row.

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.
Emmitt

'02 F-250 7.3 PSD. Toreador Red, Lariat long bed, 4-R100 trans, 4" turbo back exhaust, Pyro in both exhaust manifolds, X-Monitor, SuperChips 1705 Tuner, Mag-Hytec transmission pan & Diff cover.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 10:13 PM

Send a message via MSN to rammertide07
Are you needing just the line or could you use the kit?

6.0L Transmission Cooler Hose Adapter Kit to Install in 7.3L Truck 6.0L Transmission Cooler Hose Adapter Kit to Install in 7.3L Truck [6LHOSEKIT] - $59.99 : Storm Automotive Technologies, Your one stop auto shop

2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/ Aeroforce Interceptor/ BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/ 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /DIY 6637/ TS chip reburned with PHP tunes/160/stock FFD/PowerSlot rotors and green EBC pads/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

The kit you linked to is definitely an option. I want to wait until my cooler comes before cutting lines, etc., then I'll know how much and how many of "what" I need. $18 shipping raises the kit price to almost $70. I'm weighing the convenience versus the cost. I have clamps and am considering making the hose splicers (3/8' x 1/2") from S/S round stock on my lathe. My SD is not my daily driver and I'm retired so I'm not pressed for time to get Big Red back on the road.

Thanks for the link.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowhard View Post
The 1/2" i.d. hose that I want, they can get it for me in a day or two, but the price is an exorbitant price...over $15 a foot.
That hose is not $15 per foot at O'Reilly's. They are probably pricing a pre cut 3 ft long piece of it.

2000 F250 Lariat CC SB 4x4 PSD Auto
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

You're right. I just discovered that, but the parts guy asked his manager why the big price and HE thought it was a per foot price too. When I'm ready for it I'll probably go back and talk to them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in