Maybe if I ask about AIC in another way... - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks StockKnocker.
The more I study the charts that have been posted about the 5 volt supply to the TPS
and the various resistance values (and accompanying LOWER voltages) , I just really don't
see what or why the system I have posted should cause a PCM burn out. For all the guys
that seem to have done this (in their own way) and seem to know a lot about this, I don't
get why none of them choose to comment on my schematics. I know they are not drawn
in "official" electrical diagram fashion but (if you ask me) they are a hell of a lot more detailed
than ANY OTHER DIY , AIC instructions I have read!
As I understand it the IVS is nothing more than a 12 volt on/off switch. That's the EASY one.
The TPS is described as a basic potentiometer. Charts supplied for 2008 year vehicles show that it's
a 5 volt PCM supplied voltage and resistance values between (OPEN CIRCUIT to 510 Ohms) create an
OUTPUT voltage to the PCM of between 0 & 4.4875 volts).
Does NO ONE here have information as to if this is the same (volt numbers) that other (older)(2003) vans work?
I'm still really at a loss here. I have seen guys go into GREAT DETAILS about various electrical components
and (pulse wave returns...) of various parts of the PCM and what signals it needs to get and at what pin number...
But MY AIC alternative DIY project seems to escape anyone's examination for input or errors in design?
Has anyone ever really read the other two or three DIY options and REALLY understood just what they were describing?
I have, And I don't understand them AT ALL!
MY design (and schematics) give you a very clear (picture) of how this can be done.
All I have asked for on this forum is for answers to some basic questions. Because I do NOT want to go
to the local wrecking yard to find a spare PCM when I attempt this project. That's not the way I do things.
I get ALL the information UP FRONT! I will be 99.9% certain my design is correct and will function without causing
any major harm. I'm not going to throw 12 volts through the 5 volt TPS circuit! But it would be nice to
have conversation back & forth about how the system works. There are a few basic questions I would like answered.
One would be a confirmation of the TPS on a 2003 van still using a 5 volt PCM supply?(Color codes would be nice).
Another would be....At IDLE, Is it an OPEN CIRCUIT (IE: No voltage to PCM return side pin)?
I ask that question because it (looks) as if the 2008 example chart has an alignment problem in the rows of
voltage/RPM/Ohms. But at the TOP is says (OPEN CIRCUIT) It leads me to believe that (much like the IVS) when the pedal is in the relaxed IDLE position it sends NEITHER a 12 volt (from IVS) or a .06875 volt (from TPS). Can't understand any other reason "OPEN CIRCUIT" would be printed on that chart at the top (IDLE) area.
So as you can see there are some pretty BASIC questions that need clarification.
There are a few others but since there seems to be no response to these I won't bother posting any more.
It's really to bad because I think this is a GOOD DESIGN and I think it would be easy for others to duplicate with not more than $20 worth of materials. And I KNOW the schematics are more self explanatory and detailed than ANY of the others I have seen out there. Maybe I just need to join some OTHER forums. I had thought this one to be the best and have the most knowledgeable people on it. I hate to think I was wrong? DDT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2003 E-350 7.3 Turbo. Last of an era. Almost completely STOCK 80,000 Easy Miles and Leaking Oil. AIH Delete. Resonator Box Delete, CCV Mod. Thank you Ford for making Quality Job Number One. NOT!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Here is the chart for a 2008 superduty if that helps anything
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	99961  

2003 E-350 7.3 Turbo. Last of an era. Almost completely STOCK 80,000 Easy Miles and Leaking Oil. AIH Delete. Resonator Box Delete, CCV Mod. Thank you Ford for making Quality Job Number One. NOT!

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 09:23 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Tom, I really want you to succeed with a better high idle, that's why I posted the other link. I can't really help you more than that because I don't have any experience altering the 5 volt system. I've only done diagnostics on it when needed. The vans are a weird combination of OBS pre-97 trucks, 99-03's, and tight space engineering! I'm sure you'll get it done.

The only reason I mentioned the spare computer is that's exactly what happened years ago to another intelligent guy who was putting one together. He was doing some kind of testing and his daughter came in hollering, "Supper time!" and it scared him. That caused him to jump and when he did, he cross-contacted some wires. After some more testing, he realized he fried the computer! Funny now, but probably not that day!

The lack of replies from other guys who have done this is probably because most of them have moved on to newer trucks and later forums. Good news is that there's still quite a few guys on here that are like PSD encyclopedias and willing to pass that knowledge along first hand, for free!

I'm grateful for that every time I think about an under dash wire fire that melted the harness in one of my first trucks! I spent 2 cold winter weeks alone with a greasy Chilton's book in the driveway! Boy, did I need the internet that time! I'm glad you're posting your progress for the next guy who wants to build his own high idle! Cheers!

-Jason
2003 E-350 7.3 PSD EB, RR Frx & Hpx,Hutch/Stanadyne FM100 Pre-Filter, WW2, EBP delete pedestal/Hi flow outlet, Spectra Premium F41B Fuel Tank, 203* tstat, & coolant filter, Bellowed/wrapped up pipes, Walker BTM, AIH delete,AM EGT/TRANS/FP gauges, ThermalZero turbo blanket, KYB MonoMax shocks, TTC-2814 HD coils, Ford Ambulance Steering Stabilizer, Michelin 285-17ís Load Range E, Rear 10 leaf packs, CCV slightly modified, full sound mat, Curt Class V Rear Hitch and 2" Front Hitch, Tekonsha Primus, Nav., 2 AGM's, 2000 lb. roof rack, inverter, insulated, custom bulkhead, tool bins, 170k, my 18th
!

SOLD: 1997 F-350 7.3 PSD, 4X2, XLT, CC, LB, STD, 240K and counting
SOLD: 1996 F-350 7.3 PSD, 4X2, LB, AUTO, 175K and counting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks again StockKnocker:

I sure do "hear ya" about the old days in the winter cold and a Chiltons book!
Hell, I didn't even have a tarp & a Kerosene (bullet heater) back then to help
warm things up a bit. You will probably appreciate what I am about to write....
Some people (99.9% of all woman) and I don't know how many guys, Will never
know all those rotten feelings you can get when you are out there at midnight
with some major portion of your vehicle ripped apart (usually seeing stuff you
never knew was even in there), laying all about you on the frozen ground,
Damn wind picking up in speed, Drop light casting as much shadow as light,
And you knowing you are only just beginning this job and cannot stop till it's
done because it's your only transportation, except for the motorcycle you will
be riding to the auto parts store first thing in the morning to get everything you
found that needs to be replaced. Just hoping it warms up a little bit that day and
that you can figure out how to get it all back together! .... Sound Familiar? LOL, NOT!
Anyway, After all this posting of photos & text of this (not really complicated) relay design AIC,
I have read some other posts (mostly on the 6.0L IIRC of being able to find just this one
wire in some bundle under the dash that's capped off (forget the color right now), And
tapping it into some other 12 volt source (watched a guy do it in a youtube) where he
used the parking lights as the source voltage. Just tapped this one wire and it idled right up
when he turned on the Parking lights! Oh, had to press the E-brake too. Wonder if that's
an option in these Vans? As in maybe they do have some of the Ambulance wire harness's
built into them as they come down the line. Maybe they don't know till later what Van
will be pulled off to go to be an ambulance package but that part (wires) is standard in
the wiring harness.
Another question that will probably never be answered.
Yeah, I read & responded to that "dropped the live wire" story and fried the PCM on his neighbors truck.
It came off as sounding Negative to me but I guess he was just trying to (send out the warning).
Since YOU linked me to it, You might have read my post (over there). I was kind of (flip) about it all.
HE dropped the relay.
HE messed up...
The design his neighbor gave him "worked great".
Why doesn't he give out some of the detailed answers to the questions I have asked?
He seems like he must be a pretty bright guy to have done all that electrical work, (Well,
up until the bonehead move dropping a live circuit). But he must know all about how this
part of the system (throttle TPS & IVS & PCM...) works. Why not answer some of the specific
questions asked? No, All I get is *WARNING* And telling me not to do something I think
most people working with an electrical wiring/relay system already know... To be real careful
not to short live wires to ground or you might FRY Something like the PCM. No S%@# Shirlock.
Guess I am still just frustrated not to have received any useful information on this thing so far.
So I just keep adding to this thread to bump it back up and see if someone (New) has anything
of relative importance to add besides, Just buy it from ..... DDT

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 09:18 AM

Tom, you could post a duplicate question in the pre-97 PSD forum as well. Or if there's ever an ambulance at your local scrap yard, grab the AIC module and mess with it. Your air intake heater only turns on below a certain temp with parking brake engaged, so maybe linking to that would work, but not sure, I removed mine for more air flow. It's controlled by the 2nd relay next to GPR. Stay warm, Buddy!

-Jason
2003 E-350 7.3 PSD EB, RR Frx & Hpx,Hutch/Stanadyne FM100 Pre-Filter, WW2, EBP delete pedestal/Hi flow outlet, Spectra Premium F41B Fuel Tank, 203* tstat, & coolant filter, Bellowed/wrapped up pipes, Walker BTM, AIH delete,AM EGT/TRANS/FP gauges, ThermalZero turbo blanket, KYB MonoMax shocks, TTC-2814 HD coils, Ford Ambulance Steering Stabilizer, Michelin 285-17ís Load Range E, Rear 10 leaf packs, CCV slightly modified, full sound mat, Curt Class V Rear Hitch and 2" Front Hitch, Tekonsha Primus, Nav., 2 AGM's, 2000 lb. roof rack, inverter, insulated, custom bulkhead, tool bins, 170k, my 18th
!

SOLD: 1997 F-350 7.3 PSD, 4X2, XLT, CC, LB, STD, 240K and counting
SOLD: 1996 F-350 7.3 PSD, 4X2, LB, AUTO, 175K and counting
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 09:51 AM

The same place that lists the guide sells a idle controller for only 70 dollars.

Dfuser Ford 7 3L Powerstroke Auxiliary Idle Controller Elevated Idle Control | eBay

99.5 f250 7.3 4x4- 277k FF 160/30, Hydra w/SDK Tunes, S&B CAI, 4" Exhaust, Van turbo w/Riffraff Billet wheel, Autometer Gauges, Built Trans, Trucool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.

Dads-2000 f250 7.3 4x4- 118k K&N Intake w/Amsoil Filter, 4" Exhaust, Autometer Gauges, Superchip 1705 (Tow Safe), BD Billet Wheel, TruCool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in