MPG Reader Accuracy - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MPG Reader Accuracy

I recently installed a ts 6 position chip on my truck. The truck also has the MPG reader and miles to empty info. Before the chip it was pretty accurate. Any input on how accurate it would be after the chip? I'm reading 20MPG highway and 18 in the city. THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 11:58 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Garage
Just hand calculate it. Fill up until you see the fuel at the cap, reset your mileage and when empty, refill the same way, take your mileage/ gal fill up and you'll get the exact MPG.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

F350 2002 7.3

auto, 37/13.5/20 open country, Bushwaker cut-out flare, Bilstein 5100, Maxtow gauges (EGT, Trans temp, Boost), 4 inch diamond eye turbo back axel drop with BTM muffler, S&B intake, RR AIH plug, billet FPR with gold spring, CNCfab Sgt 1 HPOP, CNCfab HPOP line with cross over, CNCfab 4 line fuel kit, ARP heads stud, RDP plenum reinforcing insert, complete CAC intercooler boot kit, full engine seal and gasket kit, 360* turbo rebuilt, WWII, EGPV delete, dark blue CPS, Hydra chip with SDK tunes, Polished compressor manifold, HD coolant, 203* thermostat, Transgo HD kit, Energy suspension bushing kit, front and rear diff fully rebuilt with 4:88 gear ratio, Z36 powerstop heavy hauling brake kit, headlight relay mod, Fumoto drain valve AND STICKER

F350 2008 6.4 (sold)

TT 26' Springdale 2014
7x17 enclose trailer (shop) 2012
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 06:43 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Normally, they become pretty inaccurate once your put a chip on. The tunes usually modify parameters that the overhead uses to calculate mileage.

As stated, hand calculation is always best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I will probably do the hand calculation I just get anxious when filling because of so much foaming. Guess I'll have to do it a few folks. @Justin I have an off topic question but when sending in a TS chip for a reburn to you guys, if I leave a position option on "None" when ordering, will that leave the generic ts tune on there or will it be a blank position on the chip??

Thanks for the help
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 01:24 PM

If I remember correctly it's whatever the last tune is.

Say you want 3 tunes. The last 3 will be whatever that third tune was.

Corey at cncfab charges 100 bucks for 6 php custom stock tunes. Food for thought.

99.5 f250 7.3 4x4- 277k FF 160/30, Hydra w/SDK Tunes, S&B CAI, 4" Exhaust, Van turbo w/Riffraff Billet wheel, Autometer Gauges, Built Trans, Trucool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.

Dads-2000 f250 7.3 4x4- 118k K&N Intake w/Amsoil Filter, 4" Exhaust, Autometer Gauges, Superchip 1705 (Tow Safe), BD Billet Wheel, TruCool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 06:29 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango27 View Post
Yeah I will probably do the hand calculation I just get anxious when filling because of so much foaming. Guess I'll have to do it a few folks. @Justin I have an off topic question but when sending in a TS chip for a reburn to you guys, if I leave a position option on "None" when ordering, will that leave the generic ts tune on there or will it be a blank position on the chip??

Thanks for the help
You can do the Harpoon mod to the tank to make it easier filling up.

If you leave the tune option as None, nothing will be in that position. The TS chip is erased before the reburn, so any of the existing tunes on the chip would be gone. You do not have to have all 6 positions filled with tunes though. If you only want 3, we can do that. You will just want to adjust your knob accordingly.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]-Tuner View Post
You can do the Harpoon mod to the tank to make it easier filling up.
I agree with Justin...the Harpoon mod made filling much easier. Now once the nozzle clicks off, the most I can get in is another gallon if that.

Griz

02 F250, 4X4, 4R100, 3.73, B&M Transmission Pan, Edge CTS Digital Gage, Tymar 4" Exhaust, Tymar Intake & HPX & TS 6 Position Chip. IH Bellowed Up-Pipes, RiffRaff AIH delete plug, Riffraff FRx Kit. 6.0 Transmission Cooler. Dieselsite Coolant filter & Transmission filter & 203 Thermostat & WW2 & TurboMaster & inter-cooler boots. BD CCV filter. Driven Diesel Fuel Tank Mod & Pre-Pump Filter. John Wood's valve body.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 01:09 AM
Supporting Member

My Photos: (11)
X3 on the Harpoon Mod. Just like Griz said I let the pump kick off automatically and then all I can get in after that is maybe one gallon. Filled up at a Big Rig pump and could only lock the handle at about half way because the flow out of the pump was so fast. The nozzle was so big it almost got stuck in my tank's fill neck. The Harpoon Mod still worked great.
Bill

2002 F350 CC, LB, 4X4, 7.3, 6 Speed. Billet Compresor Wheel. Ford AIS Filter. Frx, Hpx, CVD Fittings. Bank's Bighead Actuator, PHP Hydra and a Bunch of Other Mods. Towing 2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5th. Wheel. US Navy Retired E8. Hoping for Liberty and Justice for All.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in