Need big trans cooler - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need big trans cooler

Truck is an early 99, so it has only an OTA tranny cooler.

I need something better, but have a BAD BAD BAD taste in my mouth for OTW coolers, had one go bad and ruin a tranny in my old 99 F250 5.4L gas.

How about a big OTA but with a thermostat and fan, say in addition to the stock cooler, possibly between the frame rails?

The tranny gets hot quickly towing 15k up a windy narrow road in first gear, little/no airflow.

Thoughts? Part #s? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

- 99 F350 CC, LB, Dually - 01/98 Production Date - Tommy Gate hydraulic liftgate (awesome & highly recommended.)
- 19.5" Goodyear G622s on F550 wheels front and rear.
- F550 brakes. 1050CFM thermostatic 2nd tranny cooler. Prodigy brake controller.
- 4" exhaust to the turbo. 4-pillar EGT, TRANS, WATER, BOOST.
- Ford Ambulance APCM/AIC. Severe Duty AIS.
- Code 3 2100 LED Lightbar, Perimiter Strobes, LED-X lights, Electric (firetruck type) warning horn & PA.
- 4 batteries, Xantrex 250A automatic battery combiner/splitter.
- Dual Xantrex Prosine 2.0KW inverters for 110/220v, Laser printer/copier, plasma cutter, welder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 12:54 AM

My Photos: (1)
Re: Need big trans cooler

I would suggest getting a 6.0L PSD trans cooler, they are huge! Even a SD V10 trans cooler is pretty big.

Dave

Smokyred- RED 11/97 F250HD XLT SCLB Auto 4.10LS 4x4 OFFROAD

Mods: Swamps tunes, Swamps 275/226's, a Gen3, a BTS, Comps, Crowers and H11's up top, S465/TN II mount kit, Custom Comp. fuel system, and an IC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 07:10 AM

I installed the 6.0 cooler and can't reach 175 degrees. It close to 3 times as ig as the stock unit, plus it bolts in the same location. PM me with any questions. Ebay is the best source for them.

NCH
2000 Ford F350 4X4 Auto,Crew Cab Lariat, Western Hauler Package, Long bed,
Isspro EV Guages on A-Pillar, Coolant change from Green to Gold to Red,
SCT XCalibrator2 with DP's 60 tow,80 econo,120 Race
Fumoto Valve, Marinco Mod, Homemade CCV MOD,Fuel Neck Mod, KMC Wheels at all 4's
Monroe Reflex Shoxs, SS/Kevlar Brake Lines,
FTVB from Greg Evans,Ford AIS Intake
Coolant filter,Walker BTM, Attwood Gooseneck ball flush mount,6.0 cooler, 2002 headlights & corners
Zoodad Mod,Cyro'd Powerslots and Hawks LTS Pads. 2005 front grill
Turbo Lifesaver, Infinity Refrence x4, powered by Infinity Reference amp, sounds awesome!!
Towing a 2005 HORNET 30BHSS 8500 LBS,
Stopping it with a Prodigy P3 Controller

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Trucks With Generic Tunes!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 07:46 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (45)

[ QUOTE ]
How about a big OTA but with a thermostat and fan, say in addition to the stock cooler, possibly between the frame rails?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those work great.

First choice would be to change out the radiator to add that OTW cooler. Other options are to replace the stock oil-to-air (OTA) cooler with a much-bigger one, or add another one in-line with the stock cooler. If you still have trouble staying below 220 tranny temp, then you need to add a big fan to an auxiliary tranny cooler mounted up under the truck.

The PermaCool Maxi-Cool SixPass is a really good one. B&M also makes a good one. Parts will cost about $200 from www.SummitRacing.com - in "keyword or part number", enter Summit part number PRM-12318 or BMM-70297. The B&M includes the thermostat but a smaller fan. For the Perma-Cool you'd have to add a thermostat.

My Sierra Blanca (Spanish for White Mountain) in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it several years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream. Replaced the 2012 with a 2019 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost with max tow.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 05:29 PM
OB1

I have been there and done that. Save the money on the 6.0 tranny cooler. WAY too expensive for the results. I have tried two aftermarket coolers. The TruCool 40,000 tranny cooler only costs about $125 bucks and took 30 minutes to install - the 6.0 cooler is over $300 at the dealer. Got mine from Bob at DieselSite.
I carry a 4000 truck camper and pull a Jeep Wrangler rock crawler from SC to Montana every year. THIS year I did not have to worry about the tranny temps one time - straight up the grades doing 65 passing the Dogdes and not one worry about EGT or tranny temps (using D & P chip in 80 hp mode). My tranny temps did not get above 165 the entire trip. HUGE improvement on my other trips. Only the turbo surge limited me. Gonna get a BB turbo and fix that too!

2000 F-350 PSD CC LB Dually, Auto, Lariat, 4.10, A.R.E.bed lid, Alpine 9815 head/10"sub/XM radio, Kenwood 650 & 250w amps, Kove components front & rear, complete sound proofing, WD Turbo Brake, AirRaid intake, Banks 3.5"dwn pipe/exhst, DP 5 position chip,Transgo kit, Cyclone, Autometer gauges, AutoMate (DEI)Remote Strt, Magnatec Diff.Cvr, Isspro TTM, Air Lfts, Velvet rides, X springs front,, HP mod, Rancho 9Ks w/cab splitr, Tank/prepump/Racor/Aeromotor dual circuit w/0.062 restrictor mods, 15k Torque Lift and a few others. Carry a Lance 1130 + tow a Wrangler.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

I just ordered this guy: http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/mercha...Product_Count=0

Will report as to how it does.

- 99 F350 CC, LB, Dually - 01/98 Production Date - Tommy Gate hydraulic liftgate (awesome & highly recommended.)
- 19.5" Goodyear G622s on F550 wheels front and rear.
- F550 brakes. 1050CFM thermostatic 2nd tranny cooler. Prodigy brake controller.
- 4" exhaust to the turbo. 4-pillar EGT, TRANS, WATER, BOOST.
- Ford Ambulance APCM/AIC. Severe Duty AIS.
- Code 3 2100 LED Lightbar, Perimiter Strobes, LED-X lights, Electric (firetruck type) warning horn & PA.
- 4 batteries, Xantrex 250A automatic battery combiner/splitter.
- Dual Xantrex Prosine 2.0KW inverters for 110/220v, Laser printer/copier, plasma cutter, welder.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 12:06 PM

Don't listen to OB1, and get the 6.0 cooler. Nobody buys them from the dealer and pays $430+ for one, just look on Ebay, I paid $60 shipped before the big craze, the going rate is still around $150. Now the one from a V10 will also work and be a direct bolt on unit, the V10 is almost exactly the same size as the Tru Cool Max that Dieselsite sells, but with the TCM you will have to rig up a mounting location. You also don't need a OTW cooler. My temps reported are just with the 6.0 cooler and nothing else. I have towed at very low speeds going up the switchbacks in the BlueRidge mountains. There is a 6.0 cooler for sale in the for sale section for $150 right now. PM me with any ?

NCH
2000 Ford F350 4X4 Auto,Crew Cab Lariat, Western Hauler Package, Long bed,
Isspro EV Guages on A-Pillar, Coolant change from Green to Gold to Red,
SCT XCalibrator2 with DP's 60 tow,80 econo,120 Race
Fumoto Valve, Marinco Mod, Homemade CCV MOD,Fuel Neck Mod, KMC Wheels at all 4's
Monroe Reflex Shoxs, SS/Kevlar Brake Lines,
FTVB from Greg Evans,Ford AIS Intake
Coolant filter,Walker BTM, Attwood Gooseneck ball flush mount,6.0 cooler, 2002 headlights & corners
Zoodad Mod,Cyro'd Powerslots and Hawks LTS Pads. 2005 front grill
Turbo Lifesaver, Infinity Refrence x4, powered by Infinity Reference amp, sounds awesome!!
Towing a 2005 HORNET 30BHSS 8500 LBS,
Stopping it with a Prodigy P3 Controller

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Trucks With Generic Tunes!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in