New to 7.3 wondering if its normal to be this slow - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy New to 7.3 wondering if its normal to be this slow

Hey guys,
i recently just bought a 2000 ford 7.3 just did all the maintanace to it and iam not impressed with the power. Iam a mechanic and do a very little bit of diesel work, and have driven lots of diesels. Driving in town or on the highway its like in order to keep up with traffic i have to give it at least 75% or more throttle and it dosent really feel like its boosting till prob 2300 rpm. My question was if this is normal? Would aftermarket performance parts solve this?
This dident bother me until i drove a completly stock 2003 dodge cummins and it had such nice snappy throttle response and loads of power.

2000 Ford F250 SD, 7.3, 6 speed, lariat, ext.cab long box, Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 12:09 PM

What RPM's 7.3 diesel

I own a 2000 F250 stick and at 2000 RPM's the truck is doing 65 MPH in top gear. Check out the manual for RPM vs MPH.

F-250 2000 4x2 SC SD Long Bed, 6-speed, American Racing 'Kong Wheels, Glasstite Camper Shell & Vintage Airstream gone...! Replaced with vintage Pop-up Sunlight Truck camper that fits in garage.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 12:53 PM

You could pick up a boost gauge and see what kind of boost numbers you really are making. You could start by making sure all ther intercooler boots and intake tube clamps are tight. Since you said you did all the normal maintenance to it, i'm assuming it got a new fuel filter along with that?

'99 F250 CC-SB 4x4, AFE Stage 2 intake with Pro-Guard 7, Dieselsite coolant filter, DiPricol Full gauges, AIC, On board air + Buell emergency series air horns, Striker turbo timer, Striker I module, Cyclops anti-theft module, TC lockup and 6.0 trans cooler. Powerslot Cryro'd rotors and Hawk LTS pads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 03:33 PM

My Photos: (3)
remember that a stick doesn't build boost the same way an auto does. Also, mine is very finicky w/ oil and after recently replacing some leaking HPOP orings, it drives/runs a whole lot better. Even stock, when i 1st got mine, it ran fine, even better w/ a predator tuner. Check for oil leaks, replace all your filters as basic maintanince and run synthetic in the winter. Mine behaves better up here w/ synthetic and i would recommend the same.
Like said earlier, check your intercooler boots and the other basics. Smokywren has a sticky around here somewhere w/ basics that would be helpful

"New" 05 CCLB 4wd 6leaker No payments
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sold
Sweet lookin' BLACK 02 F-350 XLT CC PSD
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 05:01 PM

My Photos: (60)
i absolutely love my 7.3 but there slow get usto it!! haha like everyone said get a boost gauge and see what numbers your hitting while drivin. truck should make 20 to 24 nailing it between 1.5 and 4 while cruiseing.

2000 White F250 PowerStroke 4X4 Off Road

6 Inch super Lift
38 Inch Nitto Muds
BushWacker Pocket Flares
Dick Cepek DC1's
AEM Bruteforce Intake
AutoMeter C2 Boost, Trans Temp, EGT
MBRP 4 Inch Turbo Back Up to 5 To 7 Inch GrandRock Miters
Edge Juice With Attitude Moniter(Just For Gauges)
Custom Programing From Jody DP-Tuner F5
Stock,No Start, High Idle, 80 Econ, 120 Race, 140 Agressiv
OverBoost Annihilator, HPX Cross Over Line IC Pipe Foil Delete MOD
Running Garret GTP38R Ball Bearin non WasteGated 1.15 Exhaust Housing
Transmisson Done by The Local Guy New Housing, Transfercase and Drive Line Factory 3.73's "All Heavy Duty Billet Steel Internals"
Pro Torq Stage Three Billet Torq Converter

Rhino Liner, 10,000K HID's, Black Diamond Eye Head Lights, Recon Running Board LED's, Remote Start, Dual 7 Inch Touch Screen In Dash DVD, 12 Inch JL Audio Sub, Rockford Fosgate 600 Amp

Still Get Smoked By 6.0's
But Whos Truck Do The Women Always Want to Ride in?

WyoTech 09
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 07:38 PM

A stock 7.3 is barely 250 horsepower (new)...that ain't much to move an 8000 lb brick...but it should do better than what you described. Yes, a good tuner would do wonders and probably put a smile on your face.

Early 99 F350 4X4 CC 7.3 Auto. A.R.E. Topper, bed carpet/bench inserts, Rhino grill guard, AIS w/sleeve, Fuel filler mod, GOS headlight harness, 02-04 Headlights, Rancho HD stabilizer, 06 Telescoping/heated mirrors with C-Btr Mirrors, Hella FF1000, Htr Bypass valve, front receiver hitch, Quadzilla XZT gauges, ITP Pre-pump/In-tank mods, Pioneer P5000UB w/XM radio, 4 Infinity Kappa 682.7cf, Fumoto valve, FIAMM Highway blaster horns, SS HPX, IDM mod, DP F5 (Stock,Drive-thru,60T,80E,120,80E-Mountain,1200), Walker BTM, RR, Dieselsite BRV, BTS Tranny (2nd one :-), 31 row tranny cooler, Bilstein shocks, Amsoil bypass oil filter, Stancor HD Glow Plug Relay, billet thermostat housing, front & rear parking cameras, Aux reverse lights, Heated Seats.

Security: CrimeGuard Alarm with remote notification, DIY jimmi-jammers, door cylinder locks and linkage removed, padlocked rear bench seat hinge, PCM, DIY "pitstop" switch.

Last edited by losfinch; 12-22-2009 at 07:42 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 01:19 AM

Mine's an auto so that has to be taken into consideration: 75% throttle to just stay at speed is way too much unless you are going up quite a steep grade. I would say at 65 I barely have my foot down an inch to keep that speed on flats and normal low hills. That was without any tuner etc... only a open air filter. As part of the service did you check the down pipes were not leaking at the top or bottom. All the inter-cooler and turbo boots were in good condition and not split etc.. Pull all of them off and clean them up good and inspect them. The down pipes are notorious for leaking. Is there any soot build up on the firewall behind the turbo or above it? That wouldl be an indicator? A leak anywhere will hurt Perf, Boost PSI, EGT's, and MPG

The manuals had PCM tuned up to 275 from factory autos were 250

With the factory tuning these 7.3 are rather dogged but add a chip from one of the custom tuners will really wake these beasts up to where its a compeltely differnet engine. Awesome drivablity and a huge kick in the pants for power. But first I woudl recommend you need to make sure you do not have any issue causing this low perf. You will need a Pyro (EGT) Tranny, AND Turbo guages anyways. Add in DIY open 6637 Air filter conversion, and a 4" turbo back exhaust 290-800 depending on aluminized or grade of SS from MRBP.

For a chip some of the very best: Bean's Diesel Perf, Matt @ Gearhead, Tony @ Total Diesel Perf, Bill @ Power Hungry Perf, etc...as there are a number more. You have a very good pool to choose from. Of the ones I have listed above I think all will do adjustment.tweaks free if you add perf upgrades and you get at least 6 tunes from the start as part of package. What ever you do do not get a chip or tuner with some generic tunes. such as a Banks, Edge, Bully Dog, TS etc.. The vast majority of custom tuners use the TS 6 position chip and DP Tuner uses there own propitiatory chips F5& F6 and software. You can gain a 100 HP from a chip with only the very basic up grades and it also helps greatly with the shift points and firmness as well. Even better add a BTS or JW valve body.

Good example of pick tunes to pick if you are not sure what you want exactly would be: Stock, Economy, Tow, Street, Race, and a No Start as a sort of theft security measure or you can add another Tow tune for light to moderate loads and the other one setup for heavy loads. The HP rating for each tune are general estimated as depending on mods each engine will gain different amounts but with just exhaust and air 100 HP gain is quite attaianble. But what you will really notice is the great increase in driveabilty.

Do some reading on DIY upgrades etc and there are a number of things you can do. AIH delete, CCV Mod, and DIY Tymar as examples. You then have longevity upgrades like coolant bypass filter, 203 thermostat, external tranny filter, etc...

Last edited by TARM; 12-23-2009 at 01:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in