new turbo - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
new turbo

2001 7.3 I have cold air intake a 4inch exhaust after market chip and I put a new GTP38R turbo on and I have noticed that my exhaust temps are hotter than they were with the stock turbo . Hills that i use to run up faster with lower exhaust temps are now getting my temps hotter faster and i'm having to back out of throttle sooner . Any help would be great.

2001 crewcab 4x4 7.3 373 gears 4inch exhaust, boost, pyro, trans gauges ,chip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercbigblock View Post
2001 7.3 I have cold air intake a 4inch exhaust after market chip and I put a new GTP38R turbo on and I have noticed that my exhaust temps are hotter than they were with the stock turbo . Hills that i use to run up faster with lower exhaust temps are now getting my temps hotter faster and i'm having to back out of throttle sooner . Any help would be great.

I would check for boots leaks at the turbo to intake spider and boots. Also check your up pipes for leaks. Do you know what your fuel pressure is running. I have the same problem as you but I am running 180/30 injectors on mine. So from what I have found is that the 38r does flow more air but you have to keep the rpm up to get the bigger turbo to spool up they tend to run hotter in the lower rpmís tell you get in the higher rpm band. Iím in the process of switching to a turbo that is bigger than stock but smaller than a 38r.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000 F250 7.3 4inc exhaust, Ts 6 pos chip witch custom tunes, Built 4R100 w billet triple disc converter, 6.0 trans cooler and deep tans pan, CCV mod, 4 gauge pod A piller,Boost,Trans temp,EGT,fuel pressure AFE intake,RIFFRAFF Frx fuel Rail dead head fix black spring,High Flow banjo bolts,High Flow CVD Fitting, Harpoon mod,Diesel site adrenaline HPOP,AIH Plug,Plenum Reinforcing Inserts. FULL FORCE DIESEL STAGE 1.5 single shot injectors, Garrett powermax GTP38R and blank pedestal, RIFFRAFF Intercooler CAC Boots with complete clamp kit , scanegauge 2
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the info i will check I have stock injectors new up pipes all new boots . Maybe my superchips turner needs an upgrade .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 10:35 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
It's not the tuner but it probably does need an upgrade for other reasons. Seems that turbos that claim to move more air also require more rpms...

2000 F250 XLT 4x4 SC 7.3 w/rebuilt 4R100, 3 autometer gages, Super Zoodad, PHP Hydra chip, 4" DP/Exhaust w/dual 3.5" outlets, 275/70/18 Kumho AT51s on 8.5" rims, 08 AlumDiffCvr, Bilsteins, 31 row trans cooler, WW, BPV delete, AIH delete, hutch, harpoon and billet FPR (70psi), rear air bags, Jimmijammers.
Jayco 26BHS elite, no RV parks...just the woods, lakes and streams if possible.
See my album for a recent pic.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:44 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

Garage
Yes i do believe the 38R need to spin a little faster to keep the temps down, so upgrade your tuner to maybe a DP Tuner multi and go back a gear and keep some rev's on that 7.3. :smile2

G'day Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
03 F250 4x4 CC 7.3ltr 4R100HD rebuilt, 160,000 Klms
GTP38R , Turbo-master , IH Bellowed up pipes, RiffRaff CAC boot kit, AIH delete, .
4" Turbo back exhaust ,Banks power elbow, LPG (Gas over diesel) DP F6 tuner, 40hp tow, 60hp tow, 80hp tow, 60hp, 80hp, 120hp race, Decel, 1200 RPM.
RiffRaff 6637 intake ,pre filter, Snorkle
Custom made trans cooler with twin thermo fans ,water to oil cooler
Scangauge 11,AutoMeter Trans temp, pyro ,Water/Oil temp, Fuel Pressure, Boost.
Longrange 120 ltr fuel tank and transfer pump, 15,000 lb winch, Warn winch bar, Lightforce HID spot lights, HID headlights, Black Widow Drawer System, Snugtop Canopy with gull windows, Fr & Rr ARB Diff locks, Hornblaster Train horns, Post fuel pump filter, RiffRaff FRx and HPx , Bilsteins x4, Onboard compressor , Air tank and water traps, Billet door handles, Alpine headset, Alpine overhead DVD player, Rockford Fosgate sub, Alpine amp and CD changer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in