newbie questions - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
newbie questions

Ok, my buddy bought a 03 350 with 120k. Stock except for gauges and a ATS co-pilot T/C lockup module. Gonna straight-pipe it, as I already have a stick of 3.5" tube for the ex., does Dale I at TYMAR make an intake for the super duties?(I'm in the basement with my 97, so I don't know)The pyro. is mounted post turbo, so what do you add to the egt reading to make it an accurate one?What is the next mod. to do on a small budget?Can you shim the FPR on the SD's?65-70 MPH is about 1800-1900 RPM, sound like 3.73's?His (my buddy's) E-mail is not working, can he sign up under my E-mail and get his confirmation without screwing up my screen name etc...? Sorry so many ???,and Thanks in advance!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 08:27 PM

My Photos: (0)
Re: newbie questions

it must be a 7.3 if you are on this forum.and yes you can do every thing you have mentioned.and tymar makes a nice filter.and put the EGT probe in the driver side exhaust manifold look around on the site for the pictures of the instal you just drill and tap the manifold in place .it is much easyer than it sounds.look at my list of crap at the bottom of my post i did all this will help from this site and its sposers for very cheap.lot of goo info on here.you just dig around read old post ,just dig around in every corner.it sort of consumed me but now my truck runs top notch.

2000 f250 4x4 lariate woodland green metalic and gold on the bottom.sharp looking super cab.100,000 miles .air heater mod,CCV mod,zoodad,80 econo DP tuner PCM ,cranked doun stock waste gate,cubie hole type gauge pod,[email protected] replacement filter.sonax/tricumulator, map sensor pop off valve,boost tube,BTM ,code eliminators ,wiked wheel,EBPV deleat ,hp oil cross over feul presure shimed and gauge, Heater core hose bypass valve .Wet Okole seat covers with Powerstroke logo ,.home made donaldson intake in the works parts on order.mounting bracket and 45* silicone elbo.piss on this homemade thing it will never be as good as the AFE stage II.thats what i'll get next.i am curently running my stock air box
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 11:43 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (45)
Re: newbie questions

[ QUOTE ]
does Dale I at TYMAR make an intake for the super duties?

[/ QUOTE ]

He did for years. But I haven't seen him around lately.

[ QUOTE ]
The pyro. is mounted post turbo, so what do you add to the egt reading to make it an accurate one?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on numerous factors. In a nutshell, the post-turbo pyrometer is almost useless. The pre-turbo redline is 1,250 per International engineers, or 1,300 per some gamblers. The post-turbo EGT can vary between zero to more than 400 degrees less than pre-turbo. So to be safe with a post-turbo pyro, you'd use 800 or 850 as the red line. But then, most of the time, you'd be leaving lots of horses in the stable.

So as Wonderhoot recommended, your best bet is to move the thermocouple to the exhaust manifold then use 1,250 as the red line.

[ QUOTE ]
65-70 MPH is about 1800-1900 RPM, sound like 3.73's?

[/ QUOTE ]

With stock-size tires and a calibrated speedo, 70 MPH is 2,000 RPM with a 3.73 rear end, or 2,200 RPM with a 4.10 rear end. All '99-up SRWs came with 3.73. '99-up DRWs can have either 3.73 open axle or 4.10 limited slip.

With stock-size tires and a calibrated speedo, 1,800 to 1,900 RPM at 70 MPH sounds like maybe a 3.55 axle, but Ford hasn't offered that ratio in '99-up PSDs.

[ QUOTE ]
His (my buddy's) E-mail is not working, can he sign up under my E-mail and get his confirmation without screwing up my screen name etc...?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not. His registration won't take if his e-mail is the same as another member's. But the fix is easy. Get a free e-mail addy from www.hotmail.com or www.yahoo.com or www.msn.com or similar. I've been using HotMail as my primary e-mail addy for several years now with no problems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Sierra Blanca (Spanish for White Mountain) in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it several years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream. Replaced the 2012 with a 2019 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost with max tow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in