Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com (https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/)
-   '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine (https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   Noise Level- AFE Stage II (https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f25/noise-level-afe-stage-ii-31409/)

bulletpruf 02-27-2005 07:02 PM

Noise Level- AFE Stage II

I am ready to upgrade the stock air intake system. I have researched the archives and asked lots of questions. I am leaning towards the AFE Stage II. My biggest concern is the additional interior noise associated with it sucking air [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] How much louder is the system than stock? Are the additonal HP claims accurate? Can you tell a noticable difference? Also, anybody had any issues with warranty work because of the system? Do you remove it when going in for service? I just want to make sure before dropping $400+

jdelong36 02-27-2005 07:09 PM

Re: Noise Level- AFE Stage II

i just ordered one last night and was wondering the same. i also notice they offer the stage II with a better filter and i was wondering if that could be bought later. i can let you know next weekend how loud it is.

jdelong36 02-27-2005 07:15 PM

i noticed you have the motoblue exaust. how do you like it? did you go stainless or alumanized. how was the install? sorry not trying to hijack your thread. thanks

bulletpruf 02-27-2005 07:17 PM

You can purchase the Pro Guard 7 filter separately or with the unit. Keep me posted on what you think about it after you get in installed.

Kanman 02-27-2005 08:10 PM

The horsepower claims are accurate. Immediate seat of the pants difference. YES IT IS LOUDER, YOU WILL HEAR IT. I don't really feel in cab noises are that much louder 5% not more than 10% maybe. My banks exhaust made much more of a difference for in cab noise than the AFE 2 did.

3322 02-27-2005 08:25 PM

I also have the AFE stage and I love it!I can only hear the turbo whistle when at cruising speeds,hardly noticable until you mash the go pedal.You will definitly notice a diffrence.I was a little skeptical about the performance gains but you can feel it and can really tell the engine breaths better.The quality was nice as well.I went the the pro gaurd 7.Hope this helps you out.I think you will like it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]

AJG 02-27-2005 09:11 PM

You will notice it alot more after adding a BB turbo. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

ZooDad 02-27-2005 09:33 PM

I noticed a bunch more whine when I installed mine, but I also have a WW and an ATS housing. It is noticable, but not annoying.

ZooDad

emrgnc 02-28-2005 09:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My biggest concern is the additional interior noise associated with it sucking air [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever sat in a wing seat on a 747? Remember the sound the turbine makes on take off and landing? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

wildbill1963 02-28-2005 10:11 AM

At cruzing speed, its not louder than anything else out there. It is however loud, just like all open air systems, when you push on it. You can hear the turbo, whistle and the sound of power:-).

KFDiesel 02-28-2005 11:34 AM

Ive talked to Bob Riley about the aFe a few times. Give him a call b4 you buy if you want to feel compfortable about your purchase. This will be my next mod.
Kirk

kwazyca 02-28-2005 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You will notice it alot more after adding a BB turbo. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif[/img]

bulletpruf 02-28-2005 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You will notice it alot more after adding a BB turbo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you give me some more info on the BB turbo? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

carnut57 02-28-2005 06:55 PM

The aFe stage-II is quite a bit louder than the stock box, but you can use Turbo Air Guides to quiet it back down and gain some low end throttle response at the same time.

hhills 03-01-2005 10:36 AM

I recently installed the stage II with PG-7 and you can hear a sucking sound ans well as a whining sound when hitting the go pedal .

I deffinetly like it, sounds great.