Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com (https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/)
-   '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine (https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   Oil for the 7.3L (https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f25/oil-7-3l-650891/)

Maine7.3 07-26-2018 05:15 PM

Oil for the 7.3L

Ok you guys have had a diesel longer than me.What oil and filter do you recommend.And what oil and filter to stay away from.

jleedog 07-26-2018 05:30 PM

Try to only use the OEM motocraft fiter FL1995. As far as oil I use Rotella T6 full synthetic, but that is just me.

badbart 07-26-2018 06:28 PM

Ford Approved Oils For Diesels:

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...SSM2C171F1.pdf

All oils should be WSS-M2C171-F1 compliant. I personally use the Motorcraft brand following the logic that it was good enough to be selected by Ford for use in their diesels.

ArcticDriver 07-26-2018 09:19 PM

As said above the Motorcraft FL-1995. It can be found at WalMart for $9.90

Rotella T6.
Chevron Delo 400.
Mobil Delvac.

I buy the top two brands at WalMart and the Delvac at Murdochs Ranch Supply in 5-gallon buckets.

Just to name a few.

I prefer full synthetic because they allow for longer Oil Change Intervals (OCI).

Many here seem to hold to 5,000 OCI for full synthetics.

Dieselgunner 07-26-2018 10:21 PM

I always use rotella 15w-40 with either 1 quart winter or 2 quart summer of lucas oil stabilizer and I would recommend the motocraft filter if you want the best.

DonWarkentin 07-26-2018 10:47 PM

Yes, it's unanimous. We all use rotella T6 with the Motorcraft filter. So far, at least.

bugman 07-26-2018 11:14 PM

Valvoline Premium Blue 15w40 since my truck was new. It had its first oil change at the dealer but other than that it has been done in my driveway.

On filters I got a great buy on two cases of Wix and ran them until they were gone, now it is back to the 1995.

ArcticDriver 07-27-2018 02:04 AM

Many 7.3 owners do not recommend using oil additives such as Lucas products.

There have been possible injector related issues in the 7.3 Powerstrokes if I recall correctly.

My own opinion is that it is not necessary to use an oil additive when using a high quality HDEO.

Some guys do say the 6.0 which experiences stiction has shown benefit by adding Archoil but stiction is not common for a 7.3

Calico5 09-09-2018 06:10 PM

Started out using Rotella T, but then switched to Valvoline "Premium Blue" synthetic, 5W-40 (many years ago), and usually only the genuine Motorcraft FL-1995 filters (Wallyworld seems to be the cheapest seller...).
Occasionally I'll use a Wix or NAPA brand filter, but they are always more expensive than the 1995.

79jasper 09-12-2018 12:07 AM

Monolec....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ArcticDriver 09-12-2018 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by losfinch (Post 4639139)
Shaeffers Full Synthetic 9000 (5W40), Mobile One Filter on the motor and frame mounted Amzoil bypass filter. At 10,000 I change out the Mobile One filter and top off the oil. Then at 20,000 I do a complete oil change and replace both filters.

Do you have any UOAs to post?

Is your motivation cost savings?

IIRC, your driving conditions are “severe” as defined by the Owners Manual?

Thanks

ArcticDriver 09-12-2018 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 79jasper (Post 4639149)
Monolec....

I hope you get this through your employer at some kind of discount.

Its expensive.

79jasper 09-12-2018 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArcticDriver (Post 4639173)

Its expensive.

Through Employer?..... Lol
It's really no different than any of the other big names.
About $150 for a 5 gallon bucket shipped to my door in 2-3 days.

losfinch 09-12-2018 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArcticDriver (Post 4639159)

Thanks

No UOAs to report. I did some a while back and things were fine but anymore I'm just going by what I feel is a good, conservative time and mileage frame for what most people running full synthetic and bypass systems do. Motivation? I was motivated primarily by wanting to cut down on the amount of supplies I had to haul down here (Mexico) to change the oil and filters. One full oil change every 20,000 is a lot less oil and filters than every 5000 as I was doing before. It does come out a little cheaper, too, which is a nice side benefit but not the primary motivation. Also, I like having a high quality oil in the motor and the Mobile One filters have a better filtration rating than the OEM Ford ones IIRC. I also like the cold weather starting ease that comes with the full synthetic oil as well. And, yes, according to the manual my conditions are "severe."

ArcticDriver 09-13-2018 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 79jasper (Post 4639179)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArcticDriver (Post 4639173)

Its expensive.

Through Employer?..... Lol
It's really no different than any of the other big names.
About $150 for a 5 gallon bucket shipped to my door in 2-3 days.

You have found a good price...Lol

ArcticDriver 09-13-2018 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by losfinch (Post 4639195)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArcticDriver (Post 4639159)

Thanks

No UOAs to report. I did some a while back and things were fine but anymore I'm just going by what I feel is a good, conservative time and mileage frame for what most people running full synthetic and bypass systems do. Motivation? I was motivated primarily by wanting to cut down on the amount of supplies I had to haul down here (Mexico) to change the oil and filters. One full oil change every 20,000 is a lot less oil and filters than every 5000 as I was doing before. It does come out a little cheaper, too, which is a nice side benefit but not the primary motivation. Also, I like having a high quality oil in the motor and the Mobile One filters have a better filtration rating than the OEM Ford ones IIRC. I also like the cold weather starting ease that comes with the full synthetic oil as well. And, yes, according to the manual my conditions are "severe."

Thanks for the insightful response.

79jasper 09-13-2018 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArcticDriver (Post 4639287)
You have found a good price...Lol

"I know a guy." Lol
He'll sell to anyone that wants to call/text him. Same prices as if it were someone else.

bcguide 09-30-2018 12:50 AM

I use wallmart 15/40 and change it once or twice a year. Bought the truck with 125000 km and now has 470000

INFRNL 11-22-2018 10:58 PM

late to the party but I use chevron delo from walmart, Mobil delvac is also very good and is now cheaper around $10/gal. I used rotella when i first bought my truck in 06 I like chevron/delvac much better. made my engine louder/noisier. won't touch the stuff after.

Big R, tractor supply, etc have sales on mobile delvac where you can get it extremely cheap if you can afford to buy by the pallet. I use baldwin filters but would prefer fleetguard or donaldson...just my opinion

ArcticDriver 11-23-2018 01:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by INFRNL (Post 4645952)
late to the party but I use chevron delo from walmart, Mobil delvac is also very good and is now cheaper around $10/gal. I used rotella when i first bought my truck in 06 I like chevron/delvac much better. made my engine louder/noisier. won't touch the stuff after.

Big R, tractor supply, etc have sales on mobile delvac where you can get it extremely cheap if you can afford to buy by the pallet. I use baldwin filters but would prefer fleetguard or donaldson...just my opinion

Exactly the same for me.
Started with Rotella T6.
Engine sounded better on DELO 400 LE 5w40:
https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/...&docFormat=PDF

WalMart quit stocking the LE right about the time I switched to DELVAC 5w40 in 5-gallon buckets for $125 minus a $60 rebate which is still active until end of 2018.

The only inconvenience is the 5-gallon pail. Best to use a hand pump or pour into a 4-quart steel oilcan with spout:

NYB 11-23-2018 02:37 PM

At a 20K OCI with a good quality synthetic, I wouldn't be worried about engine wear... I'd be worried about the depletion of the anti aeration additive package and the reduced performance of the oil... not as a lubricant, but as a hydraulic fluid providing the motive power for the injectors... where entrained air from the constantly churning oil would likely reduce the effectiveness of the oil's hydraulic function. Not a concern in a common rail fuel system, but something that International often said is a concern with a HEUI system.

blue99stroker 11-23-2018 09:45 PM

And unfortunately quite a few CK4 oil’s are under 1k of zddp to help cat/DPF life.

Some are still ok.

txgp17 11-23-2018 10:20 PM

I was running Rotella T6 5W-40, but that was before CK-4 oils came out. I still had a pretty good stash of CJ-4 oils to work with, but I've only got enough for one more oil change.

I'll steer clear of CK-4 oils. Next time I buy oil, it'll be Schaeffer Supreme 9000™ Full Synthetic Oil 5W-40, it's still CJ-4, for now. If I'm on the road and need oil, I'll stick with the WSS-M2C171-F1 oils with the Motorcraft logo on the bottle.

For filters, here's what I've found...
The absolute most efficient primary lube oil filter you can get for a 7.3 is the Donaldson DBL7405. (intended for a Caterpillar 3406) It's rated at 7 microns nominal, and 15 microns absolute. But this filter gets dented by my front suspension when it flexes, so I don't run it anymore.

The second most efficient filter I can find is the Donaldson P550371, it's rated at 17 microns absolute.

The third best I can find is the OEM Motorcraft FL-1995, according to Ford's website it's 18 microns absolute.

There's a lot of hype about the Wix 51734XE & Napa 1734XE oil filters, but the published beta ratios are 4 @ 10 microns (absolutely incredible) and 75 @ 30 microns (less than mediocre). I'm inclined to think they've mistyped something because that's a wide range of good-to-bad performance in a single filter.

ArcticDriver 11-24-2018 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYB (Post 4646034)
At a 20K OCI with a good quality synthetic, I wouldn't be worried about engine wear... I'd be worried about the depletion of the anti aeration additive package and the reduced performance of the oil... not as a lubricant, but as a hydraulic fluid providing the motive power for the injectors... where entrained air from the constantly churning oil would likely reduce the effectiveness of the oil's hydraulic function. Not a concern in a common rail fuel system, but something that International often said is a concern with a HEUI system.

Excellent consideration.

ArcticDriver 11-24-2018 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue99stroker (Post 4646060)
And unfortunately quite a few CK4 oil’s are under 1k of zddp to help cat/DPF life.

Some are still ok.

OK, I know you guys have heard it from me a dozen times already but thats why I bought 40-gallons of the Delvac 5w-40. I had to hit every Murdochs Ranch Supply along the Front Range and Laramie to get every bucket left of the CJ-4 inventories.

I know...probably much ado about nothing 😉