Opinions on the Helper/Lift pump - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 12:07 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDutyTrooper View Post
Not sure about what you mean by that - my commercial Hutch mod kit had me keep both the pickup foot and the mesh strainer. Really the only things that were eliminated was the mixing chamber (which was replaced by the large Baldwin filter) and the stock metal fuel line, which was replaced by the 3/8 fuel injection hose.
The real restrictions are the two filters inside the mixing chamber. You apparently didn't open it up and look inside. They're very fine mesh. The strainer on the foot will only keep put the big chunks.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 06:49 AM

My Photos: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by short_stuff View Post
Thinking outside of the box, if your second pump fails (you lose power to it, or it actually fails), will it restrict fuel flow, or does it have a built-in bypass valve based on the pressure from the OEM pump pulling (or pushing) the fuel along? Just curious.

short_stuff
No idea, I generally think INSIDE the box. Not likely to lose power to it since I solder and cover all my wires, but yes, the pump certainly could fail, especially since it's a pretty cheap pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue99stroker View Post
Another common problem is the pickup foot falls off. So you can't run past 1/4 tank.
Yeah, I experienced that problem . . . when I pulled the tank, the original pickup foot had broken off and was swimming in the tank. So I bought a new one from my local Ford dealer for $40. Friendly people there, first time I have been in a Ford dealer in a long time! Was actually surprised they had it in stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
The real restrictions are the two filters inside the mixing chamber. You apparently didn't open it up and look inside.
You're right, I didnt open it up . . . I threw it in the trash.

Thanks for all the comments!

2000 F250 Ext Cab Longbed 7.3 4x4 ZF6 "The Pride of America" - AEM air filter, BTM exhaust, CNC Fab HPOP lines, CNC Fab 4-line stainless fuel lines, Fluidampr harmonic balancer, LuK improved clutch kit, Melling LPOP, DieselSite coolant filter, 203* thermostat in billet housing, 3 gauges (boost, pyro, fuel pressure) in pillar mount pod, AIH delete, EBPV delete, CCV mod, Zoodad mod, Glow Plug Relay relocation mod, Hutch mod, Harpoon mod, MileMarker manual locking hubs.

Last edited by SuperDutyTrooper; 04-15-2016 at 06:54 AM.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 09:47 AM

My Photos: (0)
Personal experience on my 2001 before the hutch/helper pump but with FRx already installed my fuel pressure fluxuated between about 52-60ish psi. After the mod with the extra pump my fuel pressure held a steady 62 psi. The throttle was more responsive and the truck had more pep. No programmers/tunes/anything on the truck. Only mods were afe intake, frx, and #8 injector swapped to standard ad.
More recently did same mod on my brothers 02 with several mods and ts/gearhead tune. Didn't check fuel pressure before or after but truck has more pep, better response, and slightly better fuel mileage.
For no more than the pump costs I feel it is definitely worth it! But that's my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it...

Gator
>|--|~

2001 F-450 4x4 XL CrewCab Flatbed (Loved this truck, sold it to a friend and he says he will never sell it!)
2000 F-350 4x4 Lariat LE CrewCab Flatbed - 325k miles all stock, needs some maintenance but still going strong! (My daily driver)
1999.5 F-350 XLT CCSB - 335k all stock (now a parts truck)
2002 F250 CCSB 4x4 previous owner threw a lot of aftermarket money at it with little gain, added a TS6 w/Gearhead tunes. (Brother's daily driver)
2001 F350 CCLB - 180k all stock (Sister in laws daily driver)
2005 Ford Expedition (Wife's daily driver)
Wife is patiently waiting for the right Diesel 4x4 Ecursion to show up....

And many other non-Ford vehicles...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 01:05 PM

My Photos: (6)
I still think the helper pump is a good idea, but as Short Stuff pointed out, it would be a good idea to know what the helper pump does if it fails or loses power - in other words, check to see if fuel still flows through it.

The day I wrote my response to his question in post 17 above, I lost power in the truck for about 15 seconds - it went to idle and would not accelerate at all, then after about 15 seconds it came back to life. This was a problem I have never experienced before, and fortunately I was not in traffic like I usually am. It was also not like a CPS failure where the engine completely shuts down for maybe only a second or two; I dont know what caused it, but it certainly could have been a hiccup from my too-cheap pump.

So if you're going to do a helper pump, you should probably get a better quality one, like a Carter P4070, which is what I plan to do.

Gator, what brand/model did you and your brother use?

2000 F250 Ext Cab Longbed 7.3 4x4 ZF6 "The Pride of America" - AEM air filter, BTM exhaust, CNC Fab HPOP lines, CNC Fab 4-line stainless fuel lines, Fluidampr harmonic balancer, LuK improved clutch kit, Melling LPOP, DieselSite coolant filter, 203* thermostat in billet housing, 3 gauges (boost, pyro, fuel pressure) in pillar mount pod, AIH delete, EBPV delete, CCV mod, Zoodad mod, Glow Plug Relay relocation mod, Hutch mod, Harpoon mod, MileMarker manual locking hubs.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 08:23 AM

My Photos: (0)
I use the carter p4070 or equivalent. I also have extra hose left at the pump so if for some reason I need to bypass it in a pinch I can as well as leaving the factory line in place so that if absolutely necessary can go back to stock configuration easily. I have never had to do either. I have all the parts handy to do this to my 2000 as well just waiting on time to do it...
Seeing as how the carter is a rotory pump as long as the motor doesn't lock up then the factory pump should be able to pull fuel. I also believe that the rotory has a bypass valve in it. I have used this style pump in other applications and had them fail and the injection pump continue to pull fuel and keep the motor running without issue.

Gator
>|--|~

2001 F-450 4x4 XL CrewCab Flatbed (Loved this truck, sold it to a friend and he says he will never sell it!)
2000 F-350 4x4 Lariat LE CrewCab Flatbed - 325k miles all stock, needs some maintenance but still going strong! (My daily driver)
1999.5 F-350 XLT CCSB - 335k all stock (now a parts truck)
2002 F250 CCSB 4x4 previous owner threw a lot of aftermarket money at it with little gain, added a TS6 w/Gearhead tunes. (Brother's daily driver)
2001 F350 CCLB - 180k all stock (Sister in laws daily driver)
2005 Ford Expedition (Wife's daily driver)
Wife is patiently waiting for the right Diesel 4x4 Ecursion to show up....

And many other non-Ford vehicles...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in