Proof #325803 that K&N filters on a Powerstroke is bad - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 10:22 PM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Big K&N conical on mine without any problems.

I am curious about the 'newfound turbo whistle' comment. If your truck was not making that noise with the k&n, than that bad boy was so clogged up it may have sucked some particles through and ANY filter will do that. Engine sucks on a clogged filter long enough, **** will get through it

2003 F250 7.3 FX4 Auto. SuperCrew
Mods: Edge Evolution, Afe Stage 1 CAI

09 Porsche C2S
08 ///AMG C63 R.I.P.
93 Cobra just another 500rwhp street car (sold)
01 Cobra vert
08 Mustang GT
84 Mustang SVO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 05:28 PM

My Photos: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdacaraudio View Post
and what is the "Right way" to install a drop in filter
(Warning ! - Do not try this unless you are qualified to replace your own air filter.)

1) Insert new /oiled filter into bottom/stationary air box being careful to line up rectangular air filter. It only fits one way with the screen facing up.

2) The rubber seal on the filter must contact both the bottom part of the box and the lid when it's closed

3) Push the 2 tabs of the lid near the driver's fender in tight and clamp the lid down.

*Note : If does not fit right or dust is seen past the rubber seal, then it's not working. Repeat step 1 or seek qualified assistance.

Maybe this could be a FAQ?

Perhaps it is an issue with high boost and bigger turbos. Hmmm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LED running lights below doors for turn signals, marker lights, and courtesy lights from JadSolution

FOKISD (Ford, Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Super Duty Club), Charter Member.

2001 F-350, PSD, 4X4, True Blue, 152 WB, SRW, Auto Trans, Manual Hubs, PMT3, Off Road Package, AIC, Heated Excursion Tow Mirrors w/cut off switch, Extang Tonneau Cover, Westin Step Bars, Lund Bug Shield, Nifty floor mats, Custom rear bumper/w fog reverse lights & 3rd brake light, LED running lights below doors, Poron USA reverse backup sensors.

"It's mine,ALLLLL mine, (Till Andrea wants to drive it)"
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 06:22 PM

mine looked like that, I did the CCV mod and added the AFE XR and its nice and clean. The filter has about 75k to 90k miles on it now. I noticed today that the filter was sucked in. I called AFE and they are sending a new filter and some other parts that are worn due to age. The system was put on in 03.

2011 F450 K/R ALL Stock and staying that way

2001 F250 Lariat. BTS, DP Tuner, Banks inter-cooler, Banks Turbo upgrades, Banks Exhaust, Banks Exhaust brake,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 10:34 PM

Very LARGE miss conception about K&N's. A lot of people say that they let particles though and they will errode the compressor wheel. And others say well the oil collects in the ducting. Well my friends, the simple fact is, if the filter is cleaned and re-oiled CORRECTLY you will have no problems.
I had a K&N on my old 7.3 for 10 years and 160,000 miles, I live in El Paso where we have dust storms on a fairly regular occasion. I cleaned it and oiled it every oil change, I had zero problems with it.
Cleaning correctly and oiling correctly is very easy, (not trying to sound like a jerk) but read the instructions on the box. Over oiling as well as under oiling can cause issues. Along with improper cleaning. Biggest thing is making sure that the cotton in the filter is completely dry before oiling, and whatever you do, do not use compressed air to dry it, you will make weak spots in the cotton that will then tear and let dust through.

2000 F250 Ext. Cab Long Bed
7.3L PSD 2wd 6 spd.
Ranch Hand Front and Rear Bumpers
Tymar Intake, Diamond Eye 4" turbo back exhaust
GTP-38R BB Turbo
TDP 6 possision custom tune chip
South Bend Clutch "OFE"
Boost and Pyro gauges
2" DayStar Leveling kit
285/75R16 Hankook DynaPro ATm
Nicknamed B.O.B. (Beast of Burden)

He's my daily driver, my tow rig, my Honda crusher, and my sneaky sleeper at the track.

Nobody expects a farm truck to beat cars on the track.

Last edited by ChrisCountryRed; 11-16-2010 at 10:36 PM.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 02:34 AM

I believe could be other issues other than K & N. I've ran a K & N over 300,000 miles with no issues. I do have a spare to rotate out when cleaning is needed, so I don't have to wait and can clean when time permits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in