Question about aftermarket intake parts - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question about aftermarket intake parts

Thinking about getting a AFE intake spider and bilet intake plentoms. Would this help for pulling a fifth wheel ect. I have a ball buster turbo,S&B intake,walker BTM and edge programer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 07:54 PM

Send a message via MSN to rammertide07
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherxb View Post
Thinking about getting a AFE intake spider and bilet intake plentoms. Would this help for pulling a fifth wheel ect. I have a ball buster turbo,S&B intake,walker BTM and edge programer.
No. Probably a better intake. I saw 100F drop in EGTs from my AFE stage 1 to the 6637. Better tuning will help too. I've read a couple of reviews of people that tried other tuner(s) and they had less EGTs with Power Hungry Performance. Also water/meth injection will knock a big dent in the EGTs and add power.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/ Aeroforce Interceptor/ BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/ 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /DIY 6637/ TS chip reburned with PHP tunes/160/stock FFD/PowerSlot rotors and green EBC pads/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 08:01 PM

My Photos: (1)
Well, I will add this. And this is with what I just did to my F550,,,,,,,,,,

I just added exactly those 2 products, plus Banks exhaust turbine, Banks brake, and Banks wheel.....

I already the tuning that was to included these items ( DP Tuner 80 tow )

Let me tell you, these parts made a difference !

Mongus rigs;
1992 F-Superduty Dump truck 7.3 - Luk SMF 5spd 5:13 rears-Ricksons 19.5 wheels & tires-Banks get kits.
This is my work hoarse !

2000 F550 - Crew cab -Custom Hood
Harley Flamed Fenders & Doors.
4x4-7.3 - South Bend 6spd 4:88 rears. Loaded ! Volant intake
Hog Performance 4" SS exhaust
Banks wheel, turbine, exhaust brake-Ceramic coated
AFE Blade Runner Spyder
Strickley Diesel Return Fuel & Banjo Bolts
IH up pipes - ceramic coated
Powder coated everything.
Brake Performance-slotted & dimpled rotors with performance pads
DP Tuner 80 Tow
Coolant filter system
Evens Coolant
203 thermostat
Bullet Liner coated Dana 60 front end

2008 F-350 Harley Davidson Crew cab - long bed - 6.4 - Banks-Six gun-Air intake-IQ-Dual Exhaust

2004 Pace American 28' x 9' x 8' enclosed work trailer. 18k GVW. Tri axle - loaded

Custom Built Roll -Off dump trailer. 17yard box. Double dual axles. 20k GVW.

Fully decked 2003 Anni Fat Boy.
Rare "Reaper Tins"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongus View Post
Well, I will add this. And this is with what I just did to my F550,,,,,,,,,,

I just added exactly those 2 products, plus Banks exhaust turbine, Banks brake, and Banks wheel.....

I already the tuning that was to included these items ( DP Tuner 80 tow )

Let me tell you, these parts made a difference !
Do you have gauges?

2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/ Aeroforce Interceptor/ BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/ 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /DIY 6637/ TS chip reburned with PHP tunes/160/stock FFD/PowerSlot rotors and green EBC pads/
/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

I only have a boost and transmission gauge. The truck runs fine, but I just don't see hardly any boost unless I tow my fifth wheel. I normaly just run the edge on 60 towing. The most boost I'v seen was about 15 when towing my fifth wheel up hill. When driving unloaded at highway speeds I might see 3psi. I also lost about 2 1/2 mpg on the highway, down to 17 1/2 from about 20. I thought it might be the ulsd fuel now. I still get about 11mpg towing a 31ft fifth wheel with my swivel wheel trailer with my electra glide on the back. It's a 01 super cab auto with 3.73 gears. 83K on the clock.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherxb View Post
I only have a boost and transmission gauge. The truck runs fine, but I just don't see hardly any boost unless I tow my fifth wheel. I normaly just run the edge on 60 towing. The most boost I'v seen was about 15 when towing my fifth wheel up hill. When driving unloaded at highway speeds I might see 3psi. I also lost about 2 1/2 mpg on the highway, down to 17 1/2 from about 20. I thought it might be the ulsd fuel now. I still get about 11mpg towing a 31ft fifth wheel with my swivel wheel trailer with my electra glide on the back. It's a 01 super cab auto with 3.73 gears. 83K on the clock.
EGT is the most important gauge to have. I would check for a boost leak. If you have a stock turbo you should see about 30psi. You lose 1mpg (avg) for winter blend diesel. I like running Diesel Kleen (white bottle) from time to time especially in the winter. It replaces the cetane lost from the mfg'ing of it plus just it being winter blend.

/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 05:34 PM

Yes, I have a full set of gages....

At 60 mph I am at 750 degrees F.... My truck weighs 13,000 lbs and has a large, tall utility body on it ( wind drag ! )

Boost at that speed on flat ground is 10 psi ( or so )

My EGT's dropped about 100 degrees after these mods.

Plus, you must admit, they look really cool when you pop the hood !!!!!

Can't help it, your rig must look HOT !

Mongus rigs;
1992 F-Superduty Dump truck 7.3 - Luk SMF 5spd 5:13 rears-Ricksons 19.5 wheels & tires-Banks get kits.
This is my work hoarse !

AFE Blade Runner Spyder
DP Tuner 80 Tow
Coolant filter system
Evens Coolant
203 thermostat

2008 F-350 Harley Davidson Crew cab - long bed - 6.4 - Banks-Six gun-Air intake-IQ-Dual Exhaust

2004 Pace American 28' x 9' x 8' enclosed work trailer. 18k GVW. Tri axle - loaded

Rare "Reaper Tins"

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

I think I'm going to check the wastgate rod adjustment 1st, I don't remember setting it with a 6 turn preload when I put the put the turbo on a few years back. Then I'll check for boost leaks.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 07:10 PM

That's a good idea.

Let me add some other things I did.

I put the truck in my shop for 5 months ( construction is a bit slow right now )

I did these procedures also.

Pulled and washed out the intercooler. ( not much oil )
Added Dieselsite boots all the way around.
Added the BD CCV mod..
Ceramic IH up pipes.
Rebuilt the turbo. ( too easy ! )

I also found 1 of my turbine bolts had fallen out . I replaced them with Stage 8 locking bolts and tabs.

Mongus rigs;
This is my work hoarse !

AFE Blade Runner Spyder
DP Tuner 80 Tow
Coolant filter system
Evens Coolant
203 thermostat

Rare "Reaper Tins"

Last edited by Mongus; 12-09-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in