questions - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
questions

Hi, I am real new to diesel truck, been working on industrial power generation diesels for almost 20 years but I haven't been following the auto industry. first I have learned a tone of stuff already and thanks everyone for the posts for me to read, but this has also created more questions.

the first is last week I bought a early 99 F250, 49000 miles(made in 98 I believe) what were the changes for the 99.5 year and why did they change them. so far I am getting awesome gas mileage and a ton of power when I need it. truck runs smooth ect.. what were the problems that prompted the changes.

I know one of the changes is the dropped the cat.. was this to help lower EGTs or for some other reason and if you have a cat is there anything it will mess up if you update to the 99.5 set up?

and another.. what is exactly wrong with our trannys that everyone keeps saying to get a shift kit in them and so on....?

anyways I have my gage pod and gages arriving this week hopefully and then I can look into a better flowing muffler and a chip. Can anyone recommend a good flowing quiet muffler that is reasonably priced? I tow a lot and don't want to much noise in the cab of the truck.

thanks
Steve

Early 1999 F250 XL, auto, 2WD, 7.3L, performance muffler, 3 gage pillar, Beans Stage 1 injectors, DP PCM (Mod stock), DP F5 ( Mod Stock, Drive through, 60HP tow, 80HP economy, 120HP Race) boost tube, boost inhalator, DIY Tymar intake, billet multi-clutch torque converter, HD trans rebuild with Tugger II HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 07:56 AM

My Photos: (17)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: questions

[ QUOTE ]
what is exactly wrong with our trannys that everyone keeps saying to get a shift kit in them and so on....?

Can anyone recommend a good flowing quiet muffler that is reasonably priced? I tow a lot and don't want to much noise in the cab of the truck.

[/ QUOTE ]Welcome to TDS. Your best spot on the internet for PSD trucks. I think most on this board as truck enthusiasts prefer a crisper shifting truck not some boulevard barge shift that you cannot feel. I modified my tranny valve body when I changed the fluid and did the tricumulator mod. This replaces one valve (with a Sonnax) and puts in some stiffer springs. Shifts very quickly and crisply. Further it does not downshift prematurely when pulling a load up a grade. For about $50 it is highly recommended. Look at the bottom of the page here.

As far as the muffler goes, one of the first mods I did was to replace the OEM muffler with a Walker Big Truck Muffler (BTM) 21470 which is 3.5" straight through. Not any louder in the cab but a little louder outside the truck. I got mine for less than $50 and it was $100 at the muffler shop for them to put it in. $100 is high but there was nobody else around who would touch some other vendors muffler other than the one they were pushing so I was over a barrel so to speak. Look here.

2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto 4.10 DRW, DP-Tuner F5 live tuned stock, quiet, 40dd, 40, 60, 80 tow, 80e and 120r, B&W GN, BrakeSmart, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, 2 Dahl 100 filter, regulated return, BTS dual HPOP, AC singles with EDM 34 lpm nozzles, AIS, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC, Hypermax 3.5" dp--> MBRP 4" 304SS exhaust, BTS tranny, 203 T-stat, Chevron ELC, Oilguard bypass with Schaeffer 9000, WranglerNW 200 amp alternator, Nippon-Denso starter, SPA gauges, SteveRacer mods, Hella 80/100W 9007s, Hella Micro DE foglights, 1000FF driving lights, 220W backup lights, Stancor contactor, X-Springs, Bilstein shox, custom bumpers but otherwise stock. Nov 30 '99 build engine with 16 K miles, Fluidampr, Comp Cam 910 springs, Melling LPOP and ARP headstuds but otherwise stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in