Quick question for the guys running the dp tuner chip. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quick question for the guys running the dp tuner chip.

I've got an early 99 f250..have had my dp chip for about 6 months and I love it!
Anyway recently was on a decent drive (2hrs each way) and I noticed I was building about 15-20psi then my truck was dumping all of my boost. Everything works fine and I'm still able to start and drive the truck normally without any issues, only happens when I try to get on it. Got some steel wire and did my best to wire the waste gate actuator shut(did my best, in a tight spot so the wire wasn't super tight but tight enough to prevent it from fully opening up). With it wired I can build up to 20 and it'll hold boost before loosing only a little bit(drops between 10-15 instead of completely dumping to 0psi).

My mind wants to tell me I need to replace my actuator. Want the Banks big head and here is where my question is, if I had gotten my chip previously and now I will be getting a larger actuator will I have to send my chip back to DP to have it flashed to include the larger actuators existence in my setup? Know a few of the DP guys are on here as well as many other knowledgable guys so I'm hoping I can get a little insight. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 01:36 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
There is no need for new tunes when adding the Big Head wastegate.

As to helping diagnose your issue. Have you tried disconnecting and plugging the red line that is going to the wastegate?
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 01:38 PM

My Photos: (13)
Sounds like your truck is defueling...once the MAP sensor see's 20+ psi, the computer defuels the engine to protect from overspeeding the turbo. You need a boost fooler to keep the computer from seeing that much boost pressure.

Here are a couple examples...

http://www.dieselsite.com/boostreliefvalve.aspx

Driven Diesel Overboost Annihilator

2002 F-250
Lariat, CC, SB, 4x4 Off Road, 7.3L, Auto Trans, 3.73 LS, AIS, Zoodad, Autometer Ultra Lite Boost, Pyro, Trans & Fuel Pressure Gauges, Walker BTM, IC Tube Foil Delete, DR 2" Leveling Kit, BFG A/T 285's, Door Seal Mod, Tranny Magnefine,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Harpooned Tank, 4" rear blocks, ITP Overboost, DP-Tuner F6 No Start, Stock, 60E, 80E & 80T, JW Valvebody, PowerSlot Cryo Rotors w/Hawk LTS pads, Bilstein Shocks, Dieselsite Boots, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Dieselsite 203* T-Stat, Prestone ELC, FRx R/R, IH Bellowed Up-Pipes, '08 Diff Cover, MBRP 4" Turbo Back Exhaust

To Do/Wish List: Turbo-Master, Wicked Wheel 2, Adrenaline HPOP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

Will try unplugging the red wire on my way into work this morning and let you guys know..what should I look for when driving after doing this??

A little more info about what's happening..until recently I would be able to hit 20 when stepping on it and it would never do this in fact I could hold it at 20 as long as I kept my foot down and it wouldn't do anything...now as ive said ill get anywhere from 15-20psi and it'll dump all my boost. The turbos whine will get really high pitched almost as if its spinning way to fast but I make no boost or power unless I let off the pedal for a second. Not sure where to start as like I said wiring the actuator(as best I could) did help somewhat. Will report back after my drive into work today with the red wire unplugged from the actuator.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

PS..haven't had a warning or service lights come on at all which is why I believe it may be just a bad actuator...shouldn't I be getting a service engine light tripping on if my truck is defueling
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

Well at work and forgot to do the red line..will do later on today when I run out for break..can someone explain a little more about what this actually does by disconnecting and plugging the red line? I'm assuming it is a return or feed line of some kind but I'm just the type of guy likes to know everything about everything. Thanks in advance

Last edited by parry99f250; 05-28-2013 at 06:00 AM.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 06:11 AM

The red line is pressurized air the actuates the wastegate .

Early '99 F350 SRW.3:73 Gears DP Tuner Chip,AFE MAGNUM FORCE AIR INTAKE,FORD REPLACEMENT TORQUE CONVERTER, REMOTE START, NEW Delphi CPS, Ford Blue CPS as SPARE ,BLACKCLOUD DIESEL HX OIL LINE.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 07:55 AM

Sounds like you have turbo surge. If that is what's happening, disconnecting the red line or wiring the wastegate shut will likely make it worse. Is your truck a stick shift?

2000 F250 Lariat CC SB 4x4 PSD Auto
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Automatic..wiring the wastegate did help it. As I said without it wired I'd only buil between 15-20psi then it dumps it to 0...with it wired I can build up to 20psi every time and it only dumps a little bit (to about 10psi and holds there) I've always been able to reach 20psi and hold it and not lose anything..never have I been able to even get it to make anymore then 20 even on all my tunes.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:15 PM

Disconnecting the red line will disable intake air pressure from actuating the wastegate. When doing this, the only way that the wastegate will open is if backpressure itself forces it open. With it wired shut, it should not be opening at all though.

Do you hear a fluttering or chirping noise when you lose boost?

I am assuming you have already checked for drive pressure(exhaust) and boost leaks?
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

I did my best to get the wire tight but i have no doubt its got enoufh slack to open somewhat but not competely open.

Not sure if you would call it a flutter, sounds like the is spooling incredibly high but not making any power..I'll have to see if I can get a video of it and somehow post it. It builds boost like normal but once it gets in the higher psi range it dumps it all and the turbo sounds as if its spinning like crazy. Also forgot to mention it'll puff out a pretty thick cloud just as it dumps my boost.
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parry99f250 View Post
I did my best to get the wire tight but i have no doubt its got enoufh slack to open somewhat but not competely open.

Not sure if you would call it a flutter, sounds like the is spooling incredibly high but not making any power..I'll have to see if I can get a video of it and somehow post it. It builds boost like normal but once it gets in the higher psi range it dumps it all and the turbo sounds as if its spinning like crazy. Also forgot to mention it'll puff out a pretty thick cloud just as it dumps my boost.
Have you checked to make sure you do not have a tear in any of the boots?
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

That was going to be my next thing to inspect because my lines are all good the wastegate wired helped at least it seemed to have help but its not fixed..my boots and hoses were on the vehicle when I got it 3 years ago, dont know how long before that they were put on but can't hurt to just replace them being that they are cheap enough...will post back in the next day or 2..really appreciate the help so far guys.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 04:51 PM

Pressurize the intake side and check for leaks. It could be a tear in the boot or one of the clamps may be loose.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Tightened all of my boots on my piping. Pressurized it and found the shorter intake tube that clamps the the turbo had a pretty good size crack/rip in it. Can't find any local auto parts places that have it, just the other larger tube that goes to the air box. Going to just order an intake if I'm gunna be doing the job anyway, any recommendations on a good effective but not a killer on my wallet intakes? Also anyone running the turbo master wastegate controller on their DP tuned truck? Thinking of getting that in stead of the big head to replace my stock actuator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in