Rev when shifted into Neutral... - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rev when shifted into Neutral...

Kinda weird deal hope someone could put some reason to it. Goin about 10 MPH I shifted the truck into neutral when the engine was at idle. As it hit neutral is reved itself to about 1200-1300 RPMS for around 2 sec. then came back down to the normal idle...??? Is this normal?? Any ideas? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

2001 F-350 Power Stroke PMT1, 4R100. 4in turbo back exhaust system. Bullydog 4-bank chip stock-50-75-110. Tymar air intake. Auto Meter gauges pyro, boost, trans temp. Fiberglass cap. Lund screen grill insert. Trans failed at 41000 miles, Ford reman installed, and it had to be the dumbest thing I ever did to that truck! She ran 322HP and 692TQ at the rear wheels.

1993 F-150 XLT 5.0L 302CID 4x4 E4OD trans Jet Powerchip, Cat Back dual exhaust with side turnouts, K&N Performance Intake, 31X10.50R15 BF Goodrich AT, Cobra Classic Nigh****ch radio with dual 4 foot Firestik antennas. B&M Shift Kit.... Blew tranny and motor within 2 weeks of eachother.. Had to put er to sleep..

1999 F-250 power stroke reg cab long box with a 8 foot Leo plow with 281,000 miles and it still runs like its new!

2001 3500 Dodge Cummins Diesel.
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 09:13 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: Rev when shifted into Neutral...

I've seen it before. It's a chip programming issue. Pull the chip and see if it still does it.
Bob

Bob Riley, Owner DieselSite.com

Proud Sponsor of TheDieselStop.com
GOT DIESEL? call us at 888-414-3457
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 09:22 PM

This same condition happens to me i've noticed... I don't think you should worry about it much... How often do you need to shift into neutral going over 10 anyway? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

03 F-250 7.3 CC/SB, auto, , Lariat, 3.73's strait piped, edge evolution (extreme) Powershot 2000 propane injection, whited out front end, leveling kit, TQ lock mod, Tymar intake, + Wicked wheel(man, I love that sound),and too many exterior accessories to list
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other goodies: 03 harley-davidson heritage springer silver/black with screamin' eagle engine mods.(it'll pull wheelies)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 09:41 PM

you think thats scary huh......i was cruising through arkansas at about 70mph in the rain last summer towing a 10k lb trailer with my race car in it and I swear I got hit by lightning!!!! I went to adjust the radio and I got the crap zapped out of me (out of a plastic knob mind you) flinched the truck ended up in reverse while passing a big rig i reached down put it back in drive but the truck had stalled i restarted it finished passing teh truck pulled over an hr later for fuel and to wipe my shorts

got a trans code later that night but never checked it and never had a prob that was 15000 miles ago!!!

I am still scared to tune the radio in the rain
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 09:47 PM

Yup, semi normal, my truck does it too. I like to shift the truck into Neutral after a long or HARD brake so that I dont have to hold the brake pedal (which holds the heat into the rotors and can warp them).

If the truck is still moving when I shift it into N, it will rev up to about 1300 for a second or two.

I think its because the truck gets confused. The computer adds a little more fuel when your in gear to counter act the effect of the torque convertor, but when you flip it to N it still has that excess pressure to bleed off. I think the speed sensor plays into the math somewhere too.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 10:55 PM

My Photos: (4)

My Excursion does it with the chip in or out and have seen many other stock trucks do this also. It's got to be the programming from Ford.
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Excursion Limited 4x4 Dark Satin Green Arizona Beige 7.3 DIT, AXDO, 3.73 LS, DP Tuner F5, TERMINATOR II w R-IPR, Adjustable Boost Regulator, Turbomaster, EBPV Delete, Air Dog, ITP Regulated Fuel Return, Fuel Cooler, Tags 1&2, Harpooned Tank, Magnaflow XL Exhaust w Aeroturbine 4040L, Sonnax/Tricumulator, 8 Autometer Sport Comp 4 Gauge A Pillar 4 Gauge Overhead, Ford APCM, Crimestopper Remote Starter With Remote Fast Idle, Ford AIS w Zoodad, W Code Front Modified B Code Rear springs, Rancho RS9000X, Rancho 5406 Stabilizer, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, BFG Rugged Trail TA, V10 Trans Cooler w Dual Electric Pusher Fans, Coolant Filter, IAH Delete, (((XM))) Line Of Fire Light, Ford Cab Lights, 05 Headlights w GOS Conversion Harness, Jimmi Jammers, 03 Lighted Painted Tow Mirrors w C-BETR, PSD Badges, Pullrite Hitch, Prodigy Brake Controller, Born 01/29/00
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 12:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to Bobcat698

Kind of like pushing the clutch in while you are driving with the CRUISE on in overdrive??
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

[ QUOTE ]
Kind of like pushing the clutch in while you are driving with the CRUISE on in overdrive??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea something like that. It does do it with the chip in or out. Guess nothing to worry about.. Thank for the input!

2001 F-350 Power Stroke PMT1, 4R100. 4in turbo back exhaust system. Bullydog 4-bank chip stock-50-75-110. Tymar air intake. Auto Meter gauges pyro, boost, trans temp. Fiberglass cap. Lund screen grill insert. Trans failed at 41000 miles, Ford reman installed, and it had to be the dumbest thing I ever did to that truck! She ran 322HP and 692TQ at the rear wheels.

1993 F-150 XLT 5.0L 302CID 4x4 E4OD trans Jet Powerchip, Cat Back dual exhaust with side turnouts, K&N Performance Intake, 31X10.50R15 BF Goodrich AT, Cobra Classic Nigh****ch radio with dual 4 foot Firestik antennas. B&M Shift Kit.... Blew tranny and motor within 2 weeks of eachother.. Had to put er to sleep..

1999 F-250 power stroke reg cab long box with a 8 foot Leo plow with 281,000 miles and it still runs like its new!

2001 3500 Dodge Cummins Diesel.
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in