The Diesel Stop banner

Scan Gauge

3K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  Big Horn 
#1 ·
I’ve been looking at the Scan Gauge for additional information, readout and gauges while running, and actually came across some info on TDS by RT (2014) in which he did a great job explaining monitoring HPOP and ICP and a lot of other stuff. RT mentioned a mount he made for the change pocket in the dash, I’d love to see that if RT still has it available. I’ve read the Scan Gauge installation and users manual and looks like a helpful tool on trips.

I’m assuming tuners wouldn’t make any difference to the Scan Gauge. I’ve noticed there are newer models out also, but would the original Scan Gauge be just as good? Thanks!

#2 ·
I’m still alive. The ScanGauge II is still the one you want. All I did was shape a 2x6 to fit in that change pocket. Drilled a hole down the center that lined up with the plug on the back of the gauge and a hole in the back of the pocket. Ran the cable through, attached the ScanGauge to the block with the provided velcro. It doesn’t interfere with a tuner at all. I’ll take pictures after the sun comes up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Thanks RT

#4 ·
I also saw a mention of the X-gauges that can be added. Will I still need a stand alone HPOP gauge? I don’t see that as an option with the Scangauge 2.

#5 ·
The xgauges will allow you to watch ICP and IPR. No separate gauge needed except for pyro. You have to ignore coolant temperature and use oil temperature. Coolant temperature isn’t monitored on the 7.3.

#6 ·
I got it ordered (home delivery) through advanced auto parts and a 25% Off promotion for a total of - $127.49

#7 ·
Great tool for the price!

#8 · (Edited)
Taking no credit / not my idea, but RT’s ....... here’s some pics showing the angles I came up with as the back of the “change pocket” is not square with the front opening. Cutting the 2X6 wedge shaped puts a 12* angle on the front which will tilt the Scangauge up once velcroed, and the 4* angle on the back makes the front edge square with the dash.

Attachments

#9 ·
Edited to correct degree measurement (in my haste) from yesterday evening- correct now, my apology.

#10 ·
Looks great! Now you get to program all those X-Gauges in without dropping a zero. I really like mine - I keep it on instant MPG and trip MPG on one side and then rotate through a few other parameters on the other. You can "hypermile" these rigs and get 20 MPG per trip if you are careful.

#11 ·
?

#12 ·
Not sure this is worth mentioning......but might save someone some heartburn. Got home tonight and my agenda was to get the hole drilled in the back of the pocket. My OCD kicked in ? and I started worrying about drilling with the drill motor.
I pulled the access / trash bag holder plate (or whatever it’s suppose to be) and looked back in there with a flashlight. There is a wiring harness right behind the pocket (upper left of picture) , it would probably clear, but I could see the 1/2” drill bit snagging one of the wires, twisting it up, and shredding the wire insulation.

So I inserted the block as a guide and used a pair of vice grips on the bit to work it through the plastic. Probably a no brainer, and you gents know these trucks better than I do - but what a pain if one of those small wires got damaged behind the dash.

Attachments

#13 ·
I read about RTs method when I installed mine, but I use that pocket for other stuff. This is what I came up with, using some scrap tin laying around. It uses the screw for the visor clip for mounting.

Attachments

#14 ·
I’ve got the Scangauge2 up and running.......yea, that’s a lot of numbers to put in for the X gauges.
As precautionary- scanned for codes, nothing.
Went through stock & each TS-6 tune (50,75,100,140) and noticed an increase in the ICP with each hotter tune. Is this correct—to check the health of my HPOP I should check it in “stock” setting and then WOT in PARK to see what max ICP is?
Lots of Data- just to make sense of it all now ?

#15 ·
Here’s a snap shot- truck is not fully warmed up yet- set on “stock”

Attachments

#16 ·
To check HPOP health, google swamps HPOP test. Basically at 45 MPH, you floor the truck and watch for where the IC pressure stabilizes. Don’t try it in a school zone.

#17 ·
Thanks RT, I read the procedure from Swamps. I hope to get the truck out and onto the interstate soon and see what the ol’ girls got left in her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.