Should I quit or keep going? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Banned

My Photos: (2)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should I quit or keep going?

I said it all day at the dyno and thought about it all the way home all 9 hours of it.

I figure or think rods cause
1.Timing
2.Back pressure maybe[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
3.High EGT'S maybe [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
4.High RPM's Maybe [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

It seems that the post with busted rods are the guys runnin hot chips.I CAN AND PROBABLY WRONG ON THE THIS.

If I keep the timing out of the chip as much as possible and run say some bigger injectors [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] but I know deffinetly a new tranny what say you.

Thought I would throw this out there for you all to comment on and all sugestions are welcome.

I just got home from the Monroe,Wa Dyno-mite Diesel Dyno
With this 1st placewith prize money never expected that
and this 372hp 668tq

Thanks for all your input on this matter [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 08:09 AM

My Photos: (1)
Re: Should I quit or keep going?

"342HP 651TQ 2/22/05
372HP 668TQ 2/27/05 "

What was the difference in those two dyno runs?

2002 F-250 Lariat 4x4 crew-cab short-bed automatic, lots of stuff from DI Performance (Diesel Innovations)713/984-9441, Terminator hpop, ATS trans, and some good help from Chris Pitre at Pitre Automotive of Lafayette, LA 337/945-8049 (and a few other great sponsors) pm me for any details; Best time on 37's = 13.09 @ 102mph, #2 only;12.18 @ 111.71mph on Da Juice

Current Project: '86 Toyota regular cab, full tube chassis, fully built 7.3 Diesel Innovations Powerstroke engine and Terminator hpos
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 08:48 AM

My Photos: (0)

it looks like your bumping the magical 400hp with pmr.if the progaming is good enough to leave at that setting all the time Id say leave it alone.A good dependable 400 hp sounds just right to me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 f-250,srw,4x4,auto,sb crew,lariat,ttm,jordan 2020,regulated fuel return,pre tank mods,h.p. crossover,#8 inj. replaced, edgejuice/ atitude/d.i.4pos.chip,ballbearung turbo,GDS high flow turbo outlet,highly modified w/d ramair,4" exahst,poontanked,torq.lockup,2wd low,,$10 AIC,ccv reroute,transgo,tru-cool,wicked wheel,air bags,10lb co2 onbord air and a bunch more.no intake heater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 09:16 AM
Banned

I vote no. stop. I think you bumped me from third at DDP! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Nah, just kidding, keep going.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 09:59 AM

I'd leave it where it is. I already know there is more to be had out of those injectors, but you're better off playing it safe than sorry. 400 actual rwhp is the limit for stock PM rods.

Save up for a rod swap, and then the real fun begins [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

Ken

'01 F-350 Oxford White, 4x4, Auto, CC, LB, DRW - Lots of stuff

'85 F-250 Reg cab 4x4 6.9 - The new puller.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Banned

My Photos: (2)

[ QUOTE ]
"342HP 651TQ 2/22/05
372HP 668TQ 2/27/05 "

What was the difference in those two dyno runs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Programming from DPS-Performance on the chip.Take the timing out and bump the power and lock up the tranny.Shifts like its suppose to.I haven't switched it out of the Go baby Go mode yet runs like a champ.

Thanks for the replies.1st Poll post I have made and didn't know how to do it.Atleast the question got out there.

Rod swap it is.I was or probably will just go with a built motor.Not right this second but in the near future.If it was a 1 or 2 day swap I wouldn't mind but I can't have my truck down for more than a weekend.

Mike
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 06:42 PM

My Photos: (18)

Just depends on how much $$$$ you can part with .
I think you are at your risk limit, maybe a milder set of injectors with a well timed chip. Most likely will need trans upgrade any way, there is a bunch of cash.

Go for much more HP and you are in the window zone unless you beef it up. Then the wallet really screams and one thing leads to another .

Got the resources then build a monster engine, put it in a performance truck, that way you will have a dependable tow vehicle!!

garyT

2002 250SD,4x4,XLT crew,6Spd.,4"ATS exhaust,ATS housing,SP Intake,,Edge Evo, Southbend CLutch CON OFE,BD short shifter, ITP Boost Regulator, Warn Preminm Manual Hubs.

DYNO: 325 hp 728 ft lbs
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 08:46 PM

I got a block and some forged rods when your ready! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I think you should price what building a new one will cost ie pistons, rods, head or heads, block(maybe), crank(maybe) cam(maybe) and turbo, ya know the worst case senario.

Then decide wether or not you wanna continue on [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif[/img]

Ive personally seen "2" of our 02 and 01 service trucks kick rods out the side of the block [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img] and all they had were superchips programmers. Kinda scared me on the PM roded engines

2011 F250 Lariat CCSB 4x4....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« cams | codes? »