SP Diesel Exhaust Brake - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bearup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SP Diesel Exhaust Brake

Has anyone used the new elec. exhaust brake and TC lockup system? It looks like a slick system and I like the ability to use the cruise buttons on the wheel to activate the system. I plan to install on Friday and will report back with any issues.

2000 X - Helwig sway bar - Air bags - onboard air - Gauges - superchips and a killer AV system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 04:58 PM

My Photos: (52)
Re: SP Diesel Exhaust Brake

Love mine...been on for over a year now with no issues.

The only thing I do not like is the OD light blinking all the frikin time!!! Anytime the controler locks the TC before the computer wants it the OD light flashs

01 F-250 SC PSD,260k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100 from P.I.S, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Water injection,Swamps Tuning and IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Can you notice a nice reduction in speed on a hill when it's engaged?

2000 X - Helwig sway bar - Air bags - onboard air - Gauges - superchips and a killer AV system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 05:37 PM

My Photos: (52)

When empty, yes. When loaded to about 20,000# total it will maintain speed, maybe somewhat slow on lesser grades.

01 F-250 SC PSD,260k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100 from P.I.S, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Water injection,Swamps Tuning and IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 07:32 AM

The cruise control still works the same? Or do the cruise control buttons become your exaust brake? Where is the link to this system again?

Thanks
Bill

2002 PSD 350 CC 4x4; AIS Intake w/ Fender Sleeve; Walker BTM; ISSPRO Tranny, Boost, Pyro; CCV Mod; Zoodad; Blue CPS(in the glovebox); Powerslot Rotors w/ Hawk Pads; Baldwin Fuel Filter; LineX Bedliner; Southwest Fabricators Rear Bumper; 285 Michelline LTX M/S's; and a cracked windshield.

92 8' Six-Pac Slide in Camper;
94 Charmac 3 Horse Slant Bumper Pull;
25' 1976 Jayco TT;

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

The cruise control remains the same you need to hold the off button for 2 seconds to activate the brake system. You can find out more info at spdiesel.com sorry dont know how to make that a link. Can anyone help me find the TCC wire and the speed sensor wire.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 08:37 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (45)

[ QUOTE ]
You can find out more info at spdiesel.com sorry dont know how to make that a link.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's simple. Just post the URL (or that part of the URL beginning with www) and the editor will convert it into a link. Like this:

www.spdiesel.com

Or this:

http://www.spdiesel.com/

Sam ting. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif[/img]

After you make the post that includes the URL, if you later go back and edit that post, you'll see where the editor added the code to turn the URL into a clickable link.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Smokey www.spdiesel.com just had to try it myself.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 09:57 AM

We don't change the cruise control at all...nor do we alter the way you use it.

Lets boil it down to what we do:

We simply read the same signal that the factory is getting and base our controls off your inputs. When you turn cruise on, we turn the brake arming off. that way there is no conflict with cruise control and exhaust brake.

Proud to be a sponsor of thedieselstop.com
Test Fleet
2001 F350 Crew Cab 7.3L
2004 F250 Crew Cab 6.0L
2004.5 Dodge Ram Cummins
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD
2007 ML320CDI
Soon To Be 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L

"Can your Resistor do this?"
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Hello spdiesel can you help me find the speed sensor and TCC wires? The instructions state to look for certain pack numbers. Is the farthest forward pack #1?

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 10:11 PM

exhaust brakes slow you donw on a hill.

I thought of a way to describe it. You are coming down a hill towing a big trialer.

Can you tell the difference between overdrive and third gear??? Of course you can!!!!

The exhaust brake gives you half gears, or splitter. So, lets say you are towing 20k in third gear, and your speed is starting to creep up.

You turn on the exhaust brake, and you are nwo slowing instead of speeding up.

99.5 Superduty Crew 4x4 6 speed Smokewagon
Pizza cutter tires, Tymar, BTM, DP

If it don't run, chrome it.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 08:36 AM

on your x it's down in the fenderwell more. it's not the #1 pack.

Proud to be a sponsor of thedieselstop.com
Test Fleet
2001 F350 Crew Cab 7.3L
2004 F250 Crew Cab 6.0L
2004.5 Dodge Ram Cummins
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD
2007 ML320CDI
Soon To Be 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L

"Can your Resistor do this?"
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 07:09 PM

Absolutely love mine! Especially the TC lockup/unlock adjustment once you find the sweet spots. The system will cause a CEL on my CA truck but the codes are always the same. Torque converter lock-up circuit failure and high exhaust pressure sensor. I just ignor them. The performance of the brake far outweighs the CEL being on when I use it. I have a friend with a BD brake and another with a different brand EBPV brake and they get the same codes in their CA truck so I think it's a CA truck thing only.

And yes it makes a big difference on downhill grades. On a recent trip I can't remember if I ever used my brake on grades unless I was stopping. My brake was using the OD off and on button when needed. Many grades i had to actually step on the throttle to KEEP my speed up. Gotta' love it!

Larry [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

02 F250XLT SD CC LB 4X4, Silver, SD Air Lifts, 4R100, Westin Sportsman grill/brushguard, Leer Shell, AIS Severe Duty w/added fender intake, Edge EVO running 80 HP, ISSPRO's w/cubby mount, Rancho 9000X's, Banks 3 1/2" downpipe, BTM, 3 1/2" exhaust front to rear with 5" stainless tip. Sonnex and Tricum's. Fumoto Valve. Royal Purple ATF. Tru-Cool 4590. Tekonisha Prodigy. SP Diesel SSEBTC Exhaust Brake. Like new 88 Vacationeer 11.4' or 2008 Cardinal 31SB, 1992 Bayliner Trophy and the itch to go, baited hooks and the need to fish, loaded guns and the need to hunt.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 09:57 AM

I've been running the SP Diesel Performance solid state exhaust brake (SSEB) for the past several years with great success while hauling vehicles with my 2002 7.3L Excursion, but then a few days ago it stopped working, along the cruise control. I've attempted to email Sean at SP Diesel for help, but my message has failed twice. I also went to their apparent former website, but it's gone. I assume they went out of business? Does anyone know what happened to them, and who is supporting their exhaust brake? Any help and insight is appreciated.
StromHawk60 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in