Is it time for an Adrenaline HPOP?? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is it time for an Adrenaline HPOP??

I posted a thread about my CES light coming on at WOT (even after ITP OBA). I still have not figured out what code I'm throwing, but upon further inspection under the hood, I do see a potential problem. There is a braided line coming from the HPOP to drivers side valve cover that looks to be spraying massive amounts of oil. Could this be my CES light at WOT problem? Should I look into replacing this line or is this a symptom of a failing HPOP? I'm looking for an excuse to tell my wife I need the Adrenaline. but in all reality if replacing the line will fix it that would be fine too. Thanks in advance for any input.

2000, CC, SB, BLK w/ Gold -Blacked out,
4" TB SP, Modded S&B CAI, WW, Bilsteins all around, Dual Horiz. steering stab. kit, Powdered (pipes, wheels, exhaust, suspension, exc...), TS 6 Pos. Swamps Tunes (1.Eco., 2.Hvy Tow, 3.Lt Tow, 4-6.= Performance--140HP), Quad gauges (pyro, boost, trans, HPOP), ITP OBA, ITP KCM S.S. HPX line, BD IC boots, Marinco mod, AIH delete, Rotella HD ELC, Cosmetics (Halos, Recon lights all around everything blacked out and powdered), 285 BFG KM2 muds, OE Wheels powdered BLK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 03:09 PM

My Photos: (19)
If the line is spraying oil, then replace it.

The simple answer is you need to hook up a code reader and figure out exactly what code you are getting. My guess is that you are using more HPO than the pump can supply and it is setting the light. Since you have a gauge on your HPOP what pressure are you holding at WOT?

With all the money you've thrown at your truck (not knocking, wish I could do the same) but why haven't you gotten AE yet? It would be a great investment.

'02 F-350 "Babe The Big Blue Truck" 4x4, Ext. Cab, 8' bed, SRW

DP-Tuner 80T, 160cc single shots, GTP38R turbo, Ceramic coated IH up-pipes, coolant filter, 6637, DIY exhaust brake, openair CCV, propane, SBC DD all ceramic clutch, ISSPRO EV boost/pyro/HPOP pres./rear end temp, 4" lift, traction bars, 255/70R22.5 tires, York air compressor, 16 flashy lights, 12 strobes, 12 switches on console, 9 switches on the dash, 7 two-way radios, 5 air horns, laptop, siren, 105 gal. in-bed fuel tank, Kennesaw Mountain front bumper

'86 H-D Sportster - 16" apes, custom paint, custom pipes to fishtails, single fire ignition, leather saddle bags on custom brackets, bagger fender, solo seat, home made luggage rack, all LED rear lights

'66 Bronco "Big Little Monster"
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 03:38 PM

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you have split shots and hot tunes you need a better HPOP period..want the real deal get a Stealth SPR1..

Cary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=BTBBT

With all the money you've thrown at your truck (not knocking, wish I could do the same) but why haven't you gotten AE yet? It would be a great investment.[/QUOTE]

Don't know what AE is to be honest (as in injectors?), but make no mistake my truck does not have that much money in it. I own a powder coating business so that's all free. Everything else I have gotten mostly out of necessity (such as wife backing into trash cans the night before TS sled pull 2010 = new tail lights) or wife unloading hay brakes a headlight = new headlights.

4" TB SP, Modded S&B CAI, WW, Bilsteins all around, Dual Horiz. steering stab. kit, Powdered (pipes, wheels, exhaust, suspension, exc...), TS 6 Pos. Swamps Tunes (1.Eco., 2.Hvy Tow, 3.Lt Tow, 4-6.= Performance--140HP), Quad gauges (pyro, boost, trans, HPOP), ITP OBA, ITP KCM S.S. HPX line, BD IC boots, Marinco mod, AIH delete, Rotella HD ELC, Cosmetics (Halos, Recon lights all around everything blacked out and powdered), 285 BFG KM2 muds, OE Wheels powdered BLK

Last edited by Lambchops7.3; 02-16-2011 at 04:16 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

I know I need to get my codes read, but still cant find anybody with a scan tool. I will have to get back to you on the HPOP press. reading at WOT...does anybody know what the max should be with a stock 17*?? I'm running stock injectors stock turbo plus I can't afford a stealth pump. Does the whole braided line need to be replaced or is it an O ring thing?

Last edited by Lambchops7.3; 02-16-2011 at 04:15 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

can't drive the truck right now, but I do know I typically drive with the chip on 5 and my truck idles w/ HPOP press. holding about 10,000 then normal driving it stays about 15 then with moderate acceleration 20-25 so I'm guessing that would make WOT about 35-40? just a guess, but then on 6 it would be higher still. So I'll update the next time I drive it and log my readings on 6 at WOT so I know for sure. Do my readings on 5 and my guess for 5 at WOT seem high?

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 05:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to mwe-maxxowner
AE= auto enginuity scan tool. Something like 350-400 dollars. It's a program that allows you to plug into your obd port and pull codes with your laptop. I want to get one myself eventually. I figure with my truck starting to go up in miles, it may pay for itself in testing injectors and hpop for weakness myself vs paying someone to do it. At least partially.

87 f250 4wd LB ex cab 460 bored .60 edelbrock intake, towing cam glasspacks-6 mpg 8 on good day- my pride & joy once towed my '85 j-co j-crane 28' 5er

99 F250 7.3(engine stamped june of '99) 250K white ex cab lb, 2wd
jl audio slash 4ch amp, jl 8" sub, focal components front, infinity coax rear, 10 disc changer

-tymar intake, no muff
-bullydog egt, autometer boost
-f5 chip w/80t, 80e, 60t, 100, 140 extreme(140 is amazing!)
Garrett 38r
Chrome fender trim, 265 nitto terra graps, nerf bars, billet grille, '06 headlights, chrome door handles, louvered 5er tailgate
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
AE= auto enginuity scan tool. Something like 350-400 dollars. It's a program that allows you to plug into your obd port and pull codes with your laptop. I want to get one myself eventually. I figure with my truck starting to go up in miles, it may pay for itself in testing injectors and hpop for weakness myself vs paying someone to do it. At least partially.
Ok ya I've seen them on Dieselsite, but that's a lot of money. Plus my laptop crashed a while back so wouldn't do me any good till I buy another laptop

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 09:50 PM

Kinda the same boat I'm in. I keep wanting to buy one, but I need to keep spending the 400 bucks on something else. Someday, though...

87 f250 4wd LB ex cab 460 bored .60 edelbrock intake, towing cam glasspacks-6 mpg 8 on good day- my pride & joy once towed my '85 j-co j-crane 28' 5er

jl audio slash 4ch amp, jl 8" sub, focal components front, infinity coax rear, 10 disc changer

-tymar intake, no muff
Garrett 38r
Chrome fender trim, 265 nitto terra graps, nerf bars, billet grille, '06 headlights, chrome door handles, louvered 5er tailgate
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 05:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to Nova
any autozone or advanced autoparts store should be able to pull the obd2 codes. light doesnt have to be on, they should be stored in memory.

i dont think diesels are that different from gas burners are they?

'02 CCSB. Intake, Tune, 4" straight pipe. 4" lift and 35" Trail Grapplers on M/T Classic Locks.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 05:43 PM

The code readers at autozone and run-of-the-mill auto parts stores aren't advanced enough to pull most codes from the computer of a psd. It takes a better code reader than autozone has for our trucks.

-tymar intake, no muff
Garrett 38r
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

I have decided to buy the AE package since it comes so highly recommended. I think it is worth it to get this figured out and for any future problems. I would rather move on to bigger better things. I'll post up when I figure out the code and in the mean time also buy a new HPOP line. I was trying to get someone to go in on the AE with me since I know about 9 local PSD owners (none of which have scan tools either) but no such luck. Guess they'll all be coming to me lol.
Thanks all
- Matt

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

BTW- quick question about AE. Does anyone know if it is possible to instal AE on a Netbook? IE it has no disk drive... My Asus Netbook is all I have since my vaio laptop crashed as I said earlier.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 06:20 PM

I'd go in halves in a heartbeat if I was nearby!

-tymar intake, no muff
Garrett 38r
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 11:41 AM

My Photos: (19)
You may have to get an external cd drive. Or call them and see if you can download it directly from their site. Or, save the cd on a thumb drive on a different computer and then run it from the thumb drive on your netbook.

'02 F-350 "Babe The Big Blue Truck" 4x4, Ext. Cab, 8' bed, SRW

DP-Tuner 80T, 160cc single shots, GTP38R turbo, Ceramic coated IH up-pipes, coolant filter, 6637, DIY exhaust brake, openair CCV, propane, SBC DD all ceramic clutch, ISSPRO EV boost/pyro/HPOP pres./rear end temp, 4" lift, traction bars, 255/70R22.5 tires, York air compressor, 16 flashy lights, 12 strobes, 12 switches on console, 9 switches on the dash, 7 two-way radios, 5 air horns, laptop, siren, 105 gal. in-bed fuel tank, Kennesaw Mountain front bumper

'86 H-D Sportster - 16" apes, custom paint, custom pipes to fishtails, single fire ignition, leather saddle bags on custom brackets, bagger fender, solo seat, home made luggage rack, all LED rear lights

'66 Bronco "Big Little Monster"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in