Tranny fluid question - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tranny fluid question

The guy who put in my shift kit told me that he used mercon V to fill it. That was months ago and I havent really seen any problems with it. I will change it back to the correct fluid when I change out to a different TC, still trying to figure that one out too. What would I see as a problem from this?

Thanks

Mark

2002 Quad Cab/ Short bed/ BTS Auto/ Ford AIS Intake/ BTS 6 Pos. chip/ DI boost relief valve/ 4in DP no muff all the way back/ Bob's IC boots/ Bob's A/C bypass valve/ Bob's coolant/tranny filter/ 3 Yellow Tops Optimas under the hood/ HID's/ Switched GP's/ And a Really big wish list!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 01:44 PM

My Photos: (24)
Re: Tranny fluid question

I've been told it is too slippery and makes the shift too soft by slipping. Our trannys are designed to shift under full power and by slipping the clutches, they will destroy themselves. Not good to use it and Ford says DO Not use Mercon V in our trucks. Ever!
Jim

2001, F250 4x4, CC, Auto; Mobil 1 in transfer case&Trans.; Frantz Bypass Filter; "Hutch" fuel mods; Sonnax/Tricum mod;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 30" MagnaFlow; Attitude in A-Pillar and tranny gauge in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AIS; EASE Diagnostics; Reese Slider Hitch; Fr Rotors, Cryo Treated&Slotted by ART.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Ok so the only thing that is getting chewed up is the TC? No hard parts in the tranny? If so then when I replace the TC and fluid then I should be ok right?

Thanks

Mark

2002 Quad Cab/ Short bed/ BTS Auto/ Ford AIS Intake/ BTS 6 Pos. chip/ DI boost relief valve/ 4in DP no muff all the way back/ Bob's IC boots/ Bob's A/C bypass valve/ Bob's coolant/tranny filter/ 3 Yellow Tops Optimas under the hood/ HID's/ Switched GP's/ And a Really big wish list!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 03:18 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (45)

[ QUOTE ]
Ok so the only thing that is getting chewed up is the TC? No hard parts in the tranny?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Where did you get that?

The tranny includes all sorts of clutches. Mercon V will wear out those tranny clutches 4 or 5 times faster than MERCON. So the tranny won't stop shifting immediately, but it will last only about 20 to 25 percent as long as it would if you had the right ATF in there.

My Sierra Blanca (Spanish for White Mountain) in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it several years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream. Replaced the 2012 with a 2019 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost with max tow.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 04:12 PM

My Photos: (4)

One 4R100 transmission I took a part a few years ago I found several of the clutch plates had fell apart, the friction material had fallen off the metal disc. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] There were no codes in the PCM and the fluid was a little dirty but not burnt. I have no clue what fluid was in this transmission bit it think it was mercon V.
FMT
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

2000 Excursion Limited 4x4 Dark Satin Green Arizona Beige 7.3 DIT, AXDO, 3.73 LS, DP Tuner F5, TERMINATOR II w R-IPR, Adjustable Boost Regulator, Turbomaster, EBPV Delete, Air Dog, ITP Regulated Fuel Return, Fuel Cooler, Tags 1&2, Harpooned Tank, Magnaflow XL Exhaust w Aeroturbine 4040L, Sonnax/Tricumulator, 8 Autometer Sport Comp 4 Gauge A Pillar 4 Gauge Overhead, Ford APCM, Crimestopper Remote Starter With Remote Fast Idle, Ford AIS w Zoodad, W Code Front Modified B Code Rear springs, Rancho RS9000X, Rancho 5406 Stabilizer, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, BFG Rugged Trail TA, V10 Trans Cooler w Dual Electric Pusher Fans, Coolant Filter, IAH Delete, (((XM))) Line Of Fire Light, Ford Cab Lights, 05 Headlights w GOS Conversion Harness, Jimmi Jammers, 03 Lighted Painted Tow Mirrors w C-BETR, PSD Badges, Pullrite Hitch, Prodigy Brake Controller, Born 01/29/00
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 04:21 PM

My Photos: (11)

[ QUOTE ]
Ok so the only thing that is getting chewed up is the TC? No hard parts in the tranny? If so then when I replace the TC and fluid then I should be ok right?

Thanks

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I read, it's more complicated than that and I never could for good reason get exactly what would happen as far as failure modes or how long it would actually take. The only information I was able to get was it would take longer than 10,000 miles, but I feel that FORD does know exactly what will happen and how long it will take statistically at least. I don't think it would be reasonable to believe the only damage would be to the converter. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

You can read the basis of this information in the following thread in the posts by Mark ..

<font color="red"> CLICK HERE</font>

Larry, keeper of the <font color="blue">"little secrets" </font> CLICK HERE [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

2001PSD(PCM:HPI2)SD E-350,Dk Emerald Grn,4.10LS, <font color="blue">Mustang dyno - 183.9/400.4 stock</font>
, BTS w/Schaeffer's ATF
, ITP 3.5"/4" exhaust w/Magnaflow & Aeroturbine,Dieselsite 203* T-stat/Zerex G-05,F.Pwr, Ext/Int. Upgd. pkg,R. Bds,AIC,Tow Pkg, Rear & Slider windows,<font color="red">AMSOIL air, oil-bypass & rear end 75w-140 fluid ,<font color="blue">3/8" fuel sys w/10 Dieselsite DAHL100 & fuel manifold/sight glass</font>,6 way dr. pwr. seat, Magnefine trans/P.S. filters</font>, husky mats,<font color="red">5 gauge A-pillar ISSPRO EVs w/Grn mkr illum. + air & fuel restriction gauges</font>,Dieselsite coolant filter and zinc electrode, manual GPR switch & GP LED, blinking security LED, weathertechs, a few other "Gadgets"
, & a 1981 26' Prowler TT(26Y)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 05:44 PM

My Photos: (1)

I would put this dude on notice, that he is liable for any damage, and then I would make him switch it to synthetic, without any labor.

NCH
2000 Ford F350 4X4 Auto,Crew Cab Lariat, Western Hauler Package, Long bed,
Isspro EV Guages on A-Pillar, Coolant change from Green to Gold to Red,
SCT XCalibrator2 with DP's 60 tow,80 econo,120 Race
Fumoto Valve, Marinco Mod, Homemade CCV MOD,Fuel Neck Mod, KMC Wheels at all 4's
Monroe Reflex Shoxs, SS/Kevlar Brake Lines,
FTVB from Greg Evans,Ford AIS Intake
Coolant filter,Walker BTM, Attwood Gooseneck ball flush mount,6.0 cooler, 2002 headlights & corners
Zoodad Mod,Cyro'd Powerslots and Hawks LTS Pads. 2005 front grill
Turbo Lifesaver, Infinity Refrence x4, powered by Infinity Reference amp, sounds awesome!!
Towing a 2005 HORNET 30BHSS 8500 LBS,
Stopping it with a Prodigy P3 Controller

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Trucks With Generic Tunes!!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Well if I could find him then I could...I think that for now all I can do get a new TC and swap in the correct fluid after I purge the system and hope I can get it to hold out until I have the cash for a trip to BTS.

Thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in