Trans cooler upgrade - Ford 31 row versus Mishimoto 37 row - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trans cooler upgrade - Ford 31 row versus Mishimoto 37 row

After putting off a transmission upgrade, my tranny finally overheated yesterday evening pulling my travel trailer. I have a 2003 ford 7.3l excursion. So now, I am finally going to upgrade the transmission cooler and need some help trying to figure out whether I go with the Ford 6.0l 31 row 5c3z-7A095B or the Mishimoto 37 row cooler.

I was unable to locate the core dimensions on the Ford 31 row 5c3z-7A095B cooler anywhere. Does anyone know what the core dimensions are on this cooler?

The core size for the Mishimoto mmtc-f2d-99sl is 25.25LX16.13hX1.25W

I saw someone post up on another site that although the Mishimoto has more rows it's core size is actually smaller. I would like to know what the core size difference is between the two coolers outside of the number of rows.

What I have been able to find on the Mishimoto MMTC-F2D-99SL trans cooler is it appears to be cheaper than the ford 31 row cooler and can be found just under $300 and has a lifetime warranty with a kit to install with 1/2" lines.

The cheapest I can find the ford 31 row cooler is around $470 and it appears if you buy a kit versus cobbling the parts together is around $60. Heard the only thing I would need outside of the installation kit with 1/2 hose and clamps is some flat washers for the lower bolts however some folks have said you need longer lower bolts. anyone know if I just need fender washers or longer bolts? Cant find any info on warranty from ford or dimensions.

I would appreciate any info you all may have to help me decide on what the better transmission cooler is before I decide to purchase one realizing the cheaper cost is not always the best options.

I have heard good things about both but was hoping to find someone who sells both and could give me some comparison specs and feedback from folks who have used them.

thanks for you review and response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 11:45 AM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

I'll try to measure my cooler later today. It's not the easiest thing to get to once installed, but I might be able to sneak a tape onto it.

Read this write-up in the meantime:

6.0 Transmission Cooler Write up.pdf

Also, now would be a good time to rebuild the bypass. If it is leaking, upgrading the cooler won't do you a bit of good.

http://www.sonnax.com/parts/2078-coo...pass-valve-kit

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 01:08 PM

I went with a Dorman brand 31 row cooler for my second transmission. I had put the Ford OEM 31 row cooler on the first one. I can't tell a difference between the two except for the price. The Dorman was less than $150 and its been working just fine for almost a year now. I'd recommend saving some money and getting the Dorman. Lots of places carry it...just do a Google search for the best price.
kench likes this.

Early 99 F350 4X4 CC 7.3 Auto. A.R.E. Topper, bed carpet/bench inserts, Rhino grill guard, AIS w/sleeve, Fuel filler mod, GOS headlight harness, 02-04 Headlights, Rancho HD stabilizer, 06 Telescoping/heated mirrors with C-Btr Mirrors, Hella FF1000, Htr Bypass valve, front receiver hitch, Quadzilla XZT gauges, ITP Pre-pump/In-tank mods, Pioneer P5000UB w/XM radio, 4 Infinity Kappa 682.7cf, Fumoto valve, FIAMM Highway blaster horns, SS HPX, IDM mod, DP F5 (Stock,Drive-thru,60T,80E,120,80E-Mountain,1200), Walker BTM, RR, Dieselsite BRV, BTS Tranny (2nd one :-), 31 row tranny cooler, Bilstein shocks, Amsoil bypass oil filter, Stancor HD Glow Plug Relay, billet thermostat housing, front & rear parking cameras, Aux reverse lights, Heated Seats.

Security: CrimeGuard Alarm with remote notification, DIY jimmi-jammers, door cylinder locks and linkage removed, padlocked rear bench seat hinge, PCM, DIY "pitstop" switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 02:38 PM

I went with true-cool max 49391 low pressure drop cooler mounted in front of ac condenser. $138.00 shipped.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 08:13 PM

Has anyone ever heard of a Ford 31-row resulting in overheating?

I don't recall ever reading of any issues here on TDS.

Did you check Tousley Ford (AutoNation of White Bear Lake) pricing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Stancor GPR. Walker BTM. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 08:59 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
The dorman is working fine for me also...

2000 F250 XLT 4x4 SC 7.3 w/Auto Tranny w/ TC L/U Sw & shift kit, 3 autometer gages, Super Zoodad, PHP Hydra chip, 4" DP/Exhaust w/dual 3.5" outlets, 275/70/18 Kumho AT51s on 8.5" rims, 08 AlumDiffCvr, Bilsteins, 31 row trans cooler, WW, BPV delete, AIH delete, hutch, harpoon and billet FPR (70psi), trans cooler bypass delete by accident, rear air bags, Jimmijammers.
Jayco 26BHS elite, no RV parks...just the woods if possible.
See my album for a recent pic.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 10:28 AM

I just put the 31 row Dorman paid 130.00 on Rockauto.com and other than sourcing a couple of the fittings it went smooth. Upgraded the lines to 1/2" going into the radiator. I don't know if this really helps considering the hard lines going to the tranny are 3/8". I just have the factory dummy gauge so no actual readings to compare but the size difference between the stock is amazing.

2002 Excursion limited 4x4 v-code springs,Bilstein shocks,Red Head steering box,Sct X-3 with DP-Tunes,Glow shift Gauges, Hellwig rear sway bar,Firestone air bags on the rear,Silverline Stainless 4" exhaust (SOLD)

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Qc 4x4
[email protected] filter,Silverline 4" exhaust,Autometer gauges,Smarty,Raptor 150

2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 Firestone airbags ,190 amp alternator ,mbrp 4" exhaust( My old Silverline sounded better) Dp Tuner F5 chip,Glowshift gauges ,Kenwood double din /nav radio,Ford AIS intake
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

I ordered the mishimoto tranny cooler yesterday and hope it is as good as the ford 31 row.

thanking about upgrading the tranny now. I am on my second one. first went up at 36K driving back from NC to Maryland when I bought it. Ford replaced it with a so called new one and upgraded my warranty from 3 year/36K to 6 year/100k. Currently have 180k on excursion and close to 150k on current stock tranny. with the overheating the other day, I think it is time to upgrade pulling a 10k trailer on occasions.

Been doing a lot of research on the net and have read great things about a number of folks, bts, John woods, BD, etc.

trying to make the tough decision and getting the best value for the buck. spoke to a local tranny guy in Hollywood Maryland who customs builds trannys and want to compare the specs to one like a BTS or one of the other highly referred 4r100 tranny builders.

does anyone know where I could get the specs on a BTS 4r100 Tranny and who in Maryland could install a BTS tranny?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003xcrsn4x4 View Post
does anyone know where I could get the specs on a BTS 4r100 Tranny and who in Maryland could install a BTS tranny?
Maryland DieselNick would know.

Where in Maryland?

2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Stancor GPR. Walker BTM. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

I am in southern Maryland (Dunkirk) about 30 minutes south of Annapolis.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 08:08 AM

Bts Is not doing to give up his how to secrets.

He machines certain parts to fit in extra clutches. Suncoast still sells machined coast clutch drum to fit 100% more clutches.

Center support is machined and a snap ring is used to prevent it from moving.

Sunshell is hardened.

Fully splined E4OD forward drum used instead of half spline 4r100 drum.

Accumulator Valve body upgrades.

Pump is modified for increased output. Usually convert to on/off pwm.

Then a quality billet cover triple disk converter to top it all off.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 08:35 AM
RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003xcrsn4x4 View Post
I am in southern Maryland (Dunkirk) about 30 minutes south of Annapolis.

PM me or ArticDriver some contact info and one of us will forward it to Nick. He runs a diesel repair service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
PM me or ArticDriver some contact info and one of us will forward it to Nick. He runs a diesel repair service.

sent pm to ya with my contact info.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 12:28 PM
RT

Nick has the message.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 08:22 AM

My Photos: (2)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by losfinch View Post
I went with a Dorman brand 31 row cooler for my second transmission. I had put the Ford OEM 31 row cooler on the first one. I can't tell a difference between the two except for the price. The Dorman was less than $150 and its been working just fine for almost a year now. I'd recommend saving some money and getting the Dorman. Lots of places carry it...just do a Google search for the best price.
I just put a Dorman 31 in mine too.

2001 F-350, 7.3L, Crew Cab, 4x4, Dually.
202,000 miles, and going strong.
4" Turbo Back MBPR Exhaust
S&B Cold Air Intake
DP-Tuner F5 Chip
6.0 Trans Cooler

It likes to pull a 44' 3" 2016 XLR Thunderbolt 420AMP Toy Hauler
ISSPRO 3 gauge (pyro, boost, trans) pillar install.
Located on Long Island, NY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in