Transmission filtration - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Does the ZF6 have a filter ?
I am also gonna change the transfer case fluid, replace it with Mercon V also correct ?
(I know that's a "palm to forehead" question but had to ask ?)
I wanna make sure this truck gets me another 200k so I'm gonna treat her right ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 08:59 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
Redline is a brand of fluids.

Mark
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 10:23 AM

I'll toss my lot into this fray, I got an 88 with a C6 auto, I put in a parker LFS and been very happy with the improvement of the fluid condition after heavy towing. Normaly by now my fluid would be showing signs of age, but atm it is still clear red. So the filter has certainly helped in keeping things clean.

In a manual how ever I would not see much of a point as you aren't dealing with clutch packs inside of the oil reserve/sump! Just a good high powered magnet inside the sump would do it well I'd imagine.

New truck: 1988 F-350 1 ton dualy 2*4, 7.3L IDI Naturally Aspirated, Dual tanks with Camper package.
Mods: Enhanced gauge cluster; Transmission temp, rear diff temp, coolant system pressure, Vacuum pressure, Fuel pressure, Crappy tire Air horn Kit, Raycor pre filter/water sep. All LED Dash lighting, Parker LFS tranny filter, super duty tranny cooler, gerret turbo, waste gated (pending).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeonpony View Post
I'll toss my lot into this fray, I got an 88 with a C6 auto, I put in a parker LFS and been very happy with the improvement of the fluid condition after heavy towing. Normaly by now my fluid would be showing signs of age, but atm it is still clear red. So the filter has certainly helped in keeping things clean.

In a manual how ever I would not see much of a point as you aren't dealing with clutch packs inside of the oil reserve/sump! Just a good high powered magnet inside the sump would do it well I'd imagine.
Thanks
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 11:48 AM

One thing to keep in mind with filtered fluids is that no matter how clean you keep the fluid, some oil additives will be consumed over time. Obviously, the clean fluid will help, but it should not preclude regular fluid changes. I'd be more inclined to change out the trans fluid on a regular basis (which could not be easier) and add a filter to the return side of the power steering system which is harder to drain and re-fill.

I had Valvoline Semi-Synthetic High Mileage ATF in my truck before some case and clutch work, which seemed to smooth my shifts out and quiet the beast just slightly. After the work, I have the shop supplied ATF (cheapest stuff most likely) in there now and its back to tough shifts into second gear and general noise. I'll go to a Redline or Mobil 1 ATF soon, but after a few needed repairs.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashz View Post
One thing to keep in mind with filtered fluids is that no matter how clean you keep the fluid, some oil additives will be consumed over time. Obviously, the clean fluid will help, but it should not preclude regular fluid changes. I'd be more inclined to change out the trans fluid on a regular basis (which could not be easier) and add a filter to the return side of the power steering system which is harder to drain and re-fill.

I had Valvoline Semi-Synthetic High Mileage ATF in my truck before some case and clutch work, which seemed to smooth my shifts out and quiet the beast just slightly. After the work, I have the shop supplied ATF (cheapest stuff most likely) in there now and its back to tough shifts into second gear and general noise. I'll go to a Redline or Mobil 1 ATF soon, but after a few needed repairs.
Yeah that makes sense. The power steering fluid is like chocolate milk
I plan on flushing that along with my brake fluid also.
Now about the fluid...you recommend Redline or Mobile 1 over Mororcraft Mercon V from the dealer ?
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 05:37 PM

Redline makes a specific manual trans lube (MTL) that is the same viscosity as ATF, but designed specifically for manual transmissions that spec ATF. I'd like to try that in the ZF.

And Mobil 1 is just a really good ATF.

I've found that the good synthetic fluids tend to cling better and have better shifting when cold. Less noisy too. Some people don't notice a difference.

2003 F450 C&C Dump Truck, 7.3L PS Diesel, 2wd, ZF6 - 166K miles

Mods: Superchips 1705 Mini Tuner- Tow Safe Tune, HPX oil crossover.

Mods to be finished: - Glow Shift Gauges (Boost, EGT, Fuel Pressure), International Up-Pipes, Turbo seals, pedestal and EBPV delete. Hutch mod
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashz View Post
Redline makes a specific manual trans lube (MTL) that is the same viscosity as ATF, but designed specifically for manual transmissions that spec ATF. I'd like to try that in the ZF.

And Mobil 1 is just a really good ATF.

I've found that the good synthetic fluids tend to cling better and have better shifting when cold. Less noisy too. Some people don't notice a difference.
Good info thx
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 11:05 PM

I'm presently running Royal Purple Synchromax, which is a special fluid engineered for manuals that call for ATF. I like it a lot more than straight Mobil 1 ATF in my ZF6

I got my filter kit this past week but haven't had time to install it.

I'm going to use Caterpillar SOS for the fluid analysis and cleanliness testing. I've already sent in a virgin sample. Then I'll take a present (unfiltered) sample. And after running the filter for a while, I'll take a third sample.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
Is there enough pressure in the cooling lines to force the fluid through the filter? I don't know the answer to this, but you will need to know. I do know for the auto trans, but not the manual trans.
Good question. I assume (we know what can happen when you do that) that the pump is a positive displacement type. I got the optional Dieselsite pressure gauge, so it'll give some feedback.

2002 F-250 CCLB 4x4 XLT, 7.3, ZF-6 with Midwest Short-throw shifter, ESOF, 3.73 R&P, HPx line, FRx, Racor prefilter before pump, Amsoil bypass filter, Coolant filter too
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 11:23 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
I'll throw in my 2c here.

The ZF-6 has a fine mesh metallic sock on the inlet of the pump, which is a internal gear type very similar to the LPOP on the 7.3L engine. So it has plenty of pressure capability to push fluid thru a filter. There is also a magnet on the bottom of the case to pick up metal flakes.

I run a magnefine filter on mine, installed before the OTW cooler in the radiator. It will pick up a significant amount of metal dust over time. One caveat. You need to be sure that the hoses are leak free, because if they leak, it will pump all the fluid out and take out the tranny (don't ask how I know ). I didn't double check the work someone had done for me.

On fluid, I would stay with the recommended ATF. Mobil 1 Syn ATF is what I use.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 08:05 AM

Update:
So far, I've installed the Dieselsite kit and I've put 650 miles on the truck since. I've sent virgin oil samples and a pre-filter oil sample to Caterpillar for a particle count on both. The used oil has about 20,000 miles on it, the truck has 320,000 miles on it. Ive only owned it since it had 258,000, so I have no idea what it was exposed to before I purchased it.

Unused Oil: 21/18/14
Pre-filter: 23/23/17

So for contaminates
in the 4 micron range, my unfiltered oil is 4 times as dirty
in the 6 micron range, my unfiltered oil is 32 times as dirty.
in the 14 micron range, my unfiltered oil is 8 times as dirty.

Caterpillar gives a much more detailed breakdown of the particle count in 8 difference size ranges, but Ill plug that all in later.
Once Ive gone 1,000 miles, Ill take another sample to see what kind of difference the filter made and then to a much finer filter from Donaldson and see how that affects the numbers. Presently Im using the Baldwin BT839 filter that comes with the kit.

2002 F-250 CCLB 4x4 XLT, 7.3, ZF-6 with Midwest Short-throw shifter, ESOF, 3.73 R&P, HPx line, FRx, Racor prefilter before pump, Amsoil bypass filter, Coolant filter too
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 02:54 PM

Update,
So my method of taking samples was poor and resulted in terrible contamination of the samples.

Sorry.

My latest oil sample, using a proper vacuum pump, gave an ISO code of 22/20/12. That's after about 4,000 miles of running a Donaldson P564967 filter, that's rated at 5 m absolute (Beta ratio = 1,000).

So,
in the 4 micron range, my filtered oil is twice as dirty as new fluid.
in the 6 micron range, my filtered oil is 4 times as dirty as new fluid.
in the 14 micron range, my filtered fluid is 1/4th as dirty as NEW OIL.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in