Turbo and pedistol modifications done. What else should I do or need to do? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Gator5713
  • 1 Post By blue99stroker
  • 1 Post By blue99stroker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo and pedistol modifications done. What else should I do or need to do?

I swapped out my turbo, and did the non-EV BP pedestal as well as 4 inch exhaust cold air intake and superchip. I just changed out my fuel filter my up pipes look good and have no leaks. After changing out my stock intake with a cold air intake Kik gives somewhat of a blow off valve noise my turbo is pushing 20 PSI and sometimes if I really get on it The turbo makes a very high pitch winding noise. Is this normal with these modifications? What else should I consider doing for it to continue to run safely and what sensors should I bypass and how. It's a 2002 7.3 with 180,000 miles on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 02:47 PM

Superchips? Man, you're living the high life...
Did you do the k&n too?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 06:25 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
With most CAI systems, you will hear the air rush sounds when RPM's drop. It is just air going back through the intake. It is normal, and happens with the stock intake too, you just don't hear it.

A high pitch winding sound is not normal. If it is a chirping sound, it may be turbo surge, which is relatively normal with a tune on a stock turbo.

I would first look at getting better tunes and a set of gauges. We can help you out with both if you are interested.

No need to bypass any sensors. If you have troubles throwing a check engine light for overboost, an overboost annihilator may help you out... https://www.dp-tuner.com/ford-powers...nihilator.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Justin I have a boost gauge and egt gauge. But I do want to move the egt sensor. I bought an mbrp 4"exhaust system from a friend and he already tapped into the down pipe for the sensor
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

What should I do with this sensor that went into the old pedistol?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1472779974694.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	99177  

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 09:05 PM

You can buy a jumper for it.
Some use a resistor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 02:01 PM

All those mods and you still have your intake air heater that probably never comes on? That's an easy delete to open up some airflow.
As for the plug, plug it back into the sensor and leave it hanging.
yan7gin likes this.

Gator
>|--|~

2001 F-450 4x4 XL CrewCab Flatbed (Loved this truck, sold it to a friend and he says he will never sell it!)
2000 F-350 4x4 Lariat LE CrewCab Flatbed - 325k miles all stock, needs some maintenance but still going strong! (My daily driver)
1999.5 F-350 XLT CCSB - 335k all stock (now a parts truck)
2002 F250 CCSB 4x4 previous owner threw a lot of aftermarket money at it with little gain, added a TS6 w/Gearhead tunes. (Brother's daily driver)
2001 F350 CCLB - 180k all stock (Sister in laws daily driver)
2005 Ford Expedition (Wife's daily driver)
Wife is patiently waiting for the right Diesel 4x4 Ecursion to show up....

And many other non-Ford vehicles...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 02:05 PM

You do not want your pyrometer in the down pipe.

Leave it in the manifold.

Do a search for turbo surge on YouTube

Also, superchips is one of the better canned tune units.

AFE uses the same 5 layer cotton gauze k&n does. The oil may be a little different. Still have to service them properly. Which 9/10 people don't do.
79jasper likes this.

99.5 f250 7.3 4x4- 277k FF 160/30, Hydra w/SDK Tunes, S&B CAI, 4" Exhaust, Van turbo w/Riffraff Billet wheel, Autometer Gauges, Built Trans, Trucool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.

Dads-2000 f250 7.3 4x4- 118k K&N Intake w/Amsoil Filter, 4" Exhaust, Autometer Gauges, Superchip 1705 (Tow Safe), BD Billet Wheel, TruCool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

I looked up that overboost annihilator and that sounds like my next step. As far as the intake heater, I live in Colorado. Would that matter if I took it out? And I looked up turbo surge and my truck definitely is not making a sound like that. Just sometimes the whistle gets a little bit more high pitched but not like that.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 08:50 PM

How much time do you spend idling? The intake air heater does not affect starting at all. Several criteria have to be met before it will kick on. I don't know the exact parameters but I know the ambient air temp has to be rather low and the truck has to have been idling in park or neutral for Xminutes and I think the parking brake has to be set also.

Gator
>|--|~

2001 F-450 4x4 XL CrewCab Flatbed (Loved this truck, sold it to a friend and he says he will never sell it!)
2000 F-350 4x4 Lariat LE CrewCab Flatbed - 325k miles all stock, needs some maintenance but still going strong! (My daily driver)
1999.5 F-350 XLT CCSB - 335k all stock (now a parts truck)
2002 F250 CCSB 4x4 previous owner threw a lot of aftermarket money at it with little gain, added a TS6 w/Gearhead tunes. (Brother's daily driver)
2001 F350 CCLB - 180k all stock (Sister in laws daily driver)
2005 Ford Expedition (Wife's daily driver)
Wife is patiently waiting for the right Diesel 4x4 Ecursion to show up....

And many other non-Ford vehicles...
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 10:16 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3Lifestyle View Post
I looked up that overboost annihilator and that sounds like my next step. As far as the intake heater, I live in Colorado. Would that matter if I took it out? And I looked up turbo surge and my truck definitely is not making a sound like that. Just sometimes the whistle gets a little bit more high pitched but not like that.
good idea... yes, if needed...no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator5713 View Post
How much time do you spend idling? The intake air heater does not affect starting at all. Several criteria have to be met before it will kick on. I don't know the exact parameters but I know the ambient air temp has to be rather low and the truck has to have been idling in park or neutral for Xminutes and I think the parking brake has to be set also.
Gator5713 is right. I would delete it

OP, May be fill you signature so we can see exactly what mod you have already. but here what I suggest,

Intake, exhaust, gauges and chip are the first stuff most people do. so now you have all these but I would look into custom tune instead of your superchip. Justin can assist you with that for DP or Corey from CNCfab for PHP. for gauge make sure you have the boots, pyro and trans.

check on youtube for surge like blue said, you may want to upgrade the compressor wheel to fix the issue.

engine ; HPX and FRX or CNC 4 line kit with upgraded return spring would be good start

Trans ; 6.0 cooler and valve body

mod ; hutch and harpoon mod

that is my opinion

F350 2002 7.3

auto, 37/13.5/20 open country, Bushwaker cut-out flare, Bilstein 5100, Maxtow gauges (EGT, Trans temp, Boost), 4 inch diamond eye turbo back axel drop with BTM muffler, S&B intake, RR AIH plug, billet FPR with gold spring, CNCfab Sgt 1 HPOP, CNCfab HPOP line with cross over, CNCfab 4 line fuel kit, ARP heads stud, RDP plenum reinforcing insert, complete CAC intercooler boot kit, full engine seal and gasket kit, 360* turbo rebuilt, WWII, EGPV delete, dark blue CPS, Hydra chip with SDK tunes, Polished compressor manifold, HD coolant, 203* thermostat, Transgo HD kit, Energy suspension bushing kit, front and rear diff fully rebuilt with 4:88 gear ratio, Z36 powerstop heavy hauling brake kit, headlight relay mod, Fumoto drain valve AND STICKER

F350 2008 6.4 (sold)

TT 26' Springdale 2014
7x17 enclose trailer (shop) 2012
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 11:33 PM

I wonder if you have a boost leak causing that loud high pitched noise.

Torn intercooler/manifold bootable up pipes leaking

Unless you have a e99 with the gen1 wicked wheel making more noise lol
yan7gin likes this.

99.5 f250 7.3 4x4- 277k FF 160/30, Hydra w/SDK Tunes, S&B CAI, 4" Exhaust, Van turbo w/Riffraff Billet wheel, Autometer Gauges, Built Trans, Trucool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.

Dads-2000 f250 7.3 4x4- 118k K&N Intake w/Amsoil Filter, 4" Exhaust, Autometer Gauges, Superchip 1705 (Tow Safe), BD Billet Wheel, TruCool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 10:43 AM

Garage
Blue has a good point, make sure you look for boost leak.

F350 2002 7.3

auto, 37/13.5/20 open country, Bushwaker cut-out flare, Bilstein 5100, Maxtow gauges (EGT, Trans temp, Boost), 4 inch diamond eye turbo back axel drop with BTM muffler, S&B intake, RR AIH plug, billet FPR with gold spring, CNCfab Sgt 1 HPOP, CNCfab HPOP line with cross over, CNCfab 4 line fuel kit, ARP heads stud, RDP plenum reinforcing insert, complete CAC intercooler boot kit, full engine seal and gasket kit, 360* turbo rebuilt, WWII, EGPV delete, dark blue CPS, Hydra chip with SDK tunes, Polished compressor manifold, HD coolant, 203* thermostat, Transgo HD kit, Energy suspension bushing kit, front and rear diff fully rebuilt with 4:88 gear ratio, Z36 powerstop heavy hauling brake kit, headlight relay mod, Fumoto drain valve AND STICKER

F350 2008 6.4 (sold)

TT 26' Springdale 2014
7x17 enclose trailer (shop) 2012
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3Lifestyle View Post

I live in CO too, mines gone. No worries & no issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2001 F-250CC Lariat,Dark Highland Green,PSD,4x4,srw,short box,limited slip,3.73s
EBPV Delete, SPTurboost 5/5 wheel, MBRP 4", RiffRaff Boots,Severe Duty AIS, ISSPRO EV2 Gauges
Takes me to where I'm hunting, from there it's up to me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in