Turbo PSI vs. Boost - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo PSI vs. Boost

Ok , everyone talks about airflow and max psi for psd (40-45psi before gaskets blow) but psi is pound per sq. in. wouldn't you want to measure max flow in cfm cubic ft. per min.

for ie. if you force 1200 cfm through a 3" pipe you have a psi fo let say 35 pounds. if you pass that same volume of (1200cfm) air though a 4" pipe you should have a psi of some thing like 20 pounds.

my point is that you can't compare psi from one turbo to the next _ htt to gtp38r, to he2. to make a proper selection of turbo for my aplication i need to know cfm right?

Long Island Performance Diesel & Fuel
Coram, NY 11727
631-285-1174

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PRODUCT LINE: High Tech Turbo, ARP, South Bend Clutches, SunCoast Transmissions, MBRP Exhaust Systems, Silverline, Magnaflow, Bullydog, Banks, aFe Intake Systems, Airaid, ISSPRO Gauges, Autometer Gauges, BD-power Superchips, Edge Products, Dp-tuner, BDP Injectors, Quadzilla and more... Call 631-285-1174 discount pricing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 12:09 AM

My Photos: (5)
Re: Turbo PSI vs. Boost

Well no, you need the compressor map and what kind of PSI your looking for.

The air is measured in lbs/min at a certain pressure ratio. That is the outlet pressure/inlet pressure. Then you want the turbo to stay above 65% efficent and under the max RPM limits.

I found a nice little free program that caluates most of this for you, then with a compressor map of the turbo in question you can check it.

2003 Excursion 4x4 Limited, 6.0 PSD
2014 F-350CC Lariat, DRW.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 03:17 AM
Banned

My Photos: (0)
Re: Turbo PSI vs. Boost

Well you got the right idea for the most part. However most likely the intercooler pipes aren't the restriction that is makeing the pressure so increaseing the size of them isn't going to drop the psi. The biggest restriction is most likely the valves. There are also other factors to factor in. With compressor efficiency you have heat. The more efficient the cooler the air will be so there will be more mass in the same volume. So with a larger turbo that is more efficient at the higher boost levels you may have the same pressure of air but you will have more mass of air as the air will be cooler and denser. So if you have a ton of fuel that isn't being burned due to not enough air the added mass at the same pressure will make more power and lower EGTs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in