Unimpressed w/ Garrett GTr38P turbo 8-( - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unimpressed w/ Garrett GTr38P turbo 8-(

Installed the Garrett GTp38R turbo (1.0 exh housing) and TurboMaster wastegate(set to 30-31psi), been on there 10,000 miles now, had/has a Diablo 100hp chip in before turbo updrade and still does. Not sure if it's me, but the GTp38R turbo seems softer, more sluggish unless your hard into the throttle vs. the Stock Turbo.

Backing up Monthes before I ever installed the turbo, new up pipes/gaskets, wastegate. The Diablo chip was they 78hp version they called it. it seemed pretty good all around, had this in the truck for years with several updates to it. So abotu 3 months before I installed the GTr38P turbo, I sent chip to Diablo and had it stepped up to their 100-108hp program. when re-installed chip (still stock turbo) it seemed worse off down low and in the middle, really didn't seem any better and really worse than the 78hp program unless WOT, then wasslightly better. Could it be the 100hp program has less injector timing and/or fuel than the 78hp down low rpm or during lower boost levels? and then installing this larger turbo is jsut sluggish down low mespecially towing my 40 ATC G.N. trailer unless you get the RPM up. I can hit hills going 74-77 and excellerate, but if you are going like 68-70 wont make about 15-17lb boost on starting up hill ,til it kicks down to drive, then 30psi, but now geared to low and still no good. Wonder if proper programed chip would help fix this, or maybe need a .85 or .90 exh. housing.

Really not too impressed with this GTr38P turbo. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2011 F350 CC Lariat FX4 DRW-Dark Blue Pearl met./Ebony leather interior~ B&W turnover G.N.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 01:18 AM

I would get some custom tunes. Bean's, Swamps. [email protected], Tony Wildman, PHP, DP. The 38R is at its best with injector upgrades but with good tunes you should see it on the top end especially.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARM View Post
I would get some custom tunes. Bean's, Swamps. [email protected], Tony Wildman, PHP, DP. The 38R is at its best with injector upgrades but with good tunes you should see it on the top end especially.

Ok, I think DP=DP tuner. Heard the term Bean's & Swamps= both injectors right? [email protected]? Tnony Wildman? PHP? up top is pretty good now. looking for better down low to the mid, like it has no timing in it, more or less. think this chip has less fuel down low, or timing, cause it seemed worse than than the 75hp program, both pre-GT38r turbo. thanks for the reply

2011 F350 CC Lariat FX4 DRW-Dark Blue Pearl met./Ebony leather interior~ B&W turnover G.N.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam2 View Post
or maybe need a .85 or .90 exh. housing.

Really not too impressed with this GTr38P turbo. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
If you decide ou want to trade your 1.0 housing for a .84, I have good used a .84 I would trade for your 1.0.

2000 F250 Lariat CC SB 4x4 PSD Auto
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Installed the Garrett GTp38R turbo (1.0 exh housing) and TurboMaster wastegate(set to 30-31psi), been on there 10,000 miles now, had/has a Diablo 100hp chip in before turbo updrade and still does. Not sure if it's me, but the GTp38R turbo seems softer, more sluggish unless your hard into the throttle vs. the Stock Turbo.

Backing up Monthes before I ever installed the turbo, new up pipes/gaskets, wastegate. The Diablo chip was they 78hp version they called it. it seemed pretty good all around, had this in the truck for years with several updates to it. So abotu 3 months before I installed the GTr38P turbo, I sent chip to Diablo and had it stepped up to their 100-108hp program. when re-installed chip (still stock turbo) it seemed worse off down low and in the middle, really didn't seem any better and really worse than the 78hp program unless WOT, then wasslightly better. Could it be the 100hp program has less injector timing and/or fuel than the 78hp down low rpm or during lower boost levels? and then installing this larger turbo is jsut sluggish down low mespecially towing my 40 ATC G.N. trailer unless you get the RPM up. I can hit hills going 74-77 and excellerate, but if you are going like 68-70 wont make about 15-17lb boost on starting up hill ,til it kicks down to drive, then 30psi, but now geared to low and still no good. Wonder if proper programed chip would help fix this, or maybe need a .85 or .90 exh. housing.

Get custom tunes and you'll like the turbo much better. I've been running the same turbo for quite a few years and love it. Now that I have the DP tuner installed I like it even more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2000 PSD Excursion Limited owned since new, Mickey Thompson Classic II Wheels, V Code Springs Front, Modified B Code Springs Rear, Rear Hellwig Sway Bar, 3 Autometer Gauges On The Pillar, DP Tuner 40hp tow, 80hp tow, 80hp Econo, 140hp Extreme, High Idle Tune, Custom 4" exhaust and muffler, Custom Tranny with TCS 3 Disc Converter, K&N FIPK Intake, Garrett GTP38R Ball Bearing Turbo.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoEX View Post
Get custom tunes and you'll like the turbo much better. I've been running the same turbo for quite a few years and love it. Now that I have the DP tuner installed I like it even more.
Do you have some kind of intake/cold air kit? I have the airbox lid removed, a 2" long x 4" dia. steel sleeve in the end ofthe factory air intake hose and 12" K&N filter attached to it. My turbo seems really loud, not just whistle, but at upper boost range/70-80mh on interstate it's moaning/air swooshing sound. I guess thats what impresses me the least, was a somewhat powergain (slight loss down low to mid) and much noisier. is this common withthe GT38 turbo?

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Ok, I think DP=DP tuner. Heard the term Bean's & Swamps= both injectors right? [email protected]? Tony Wildman? PHP?
Those are all very highly recommended, popular, and well respected custom tuners for the 7.3. On here you typically only see two tuners recommended DP tuner and TW Tony Wildman. This is not the case everywhere. Those are without a doubt two very popular tuners but there a number of others that are very very good.

Yes, Beans and Swamps both do offer injectors and they also do very good tuning as does most all that actually build their injectors. Same goes for Matt owner of gearheadautomotive. As I said there are a number of very excellent tuners out there. You should look and research ALL the top ones before making a decision. Bill @ PHP (Power Hungry Performance)has been tuning longer than any of the other tuners listed and actually taught a number of the guys. Cale who only really advertised by word of mouth for tuning but is the best known on all forums and thru out the 7.3 community as he is the man behind BTS the transmission shop. He just recently was shown to have the best producing tune of the 3 tested by Diesel Power Magazine Fed issue. So he know his stuff. What is great is we are lucky to have some many good choices to chose from. There is something for everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in