Want more power for towing - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Want more power for towing

Except for a MAC 4" intake, and an unknown brand 4" exhaust, and some BFGoodrich All Terrain TA tires in the rear, my 2wd
2001 F-350 CC LB DRW truck is stock. The truck has 160k miles on it. Except for having to replace one injector last year, the engine runs great and the transmission operates smoothly.

I do get pretty bad turbo surge at low rpm/high load, especially the bottom of 3rd at 45mph. At least since my father bought it at 30k, the truck has only towed heavy weight a couple of times. I now have a 30' 9500 gvrw bumper pull travel trailer, and will be towing it for a cross country move in a couple months. So it is now time to cure the turbo surge, and boost power output of the engine.

Basic plan for upgrades:
Gauges: EGT, Trans Temp, boost, fuel pressure
Turbo: GTP38R
Tuner/Chip: not sure, leaning Hydra?
Injectors: Best I can get with stock HPOP/fuel delivery system...looking at Swamps 175cc or Casserly Stage 2 180cc
6.0L Trans cooler
Possibly an exhaust brake...
Retain stock transmission/torque converter

Basically, I just want more get up and go off the line while towing the trailer cross country, get rid of turbo surge, and still retain reliability, without blowing up my transmission. I have always driven this truck conservatively, especially while towing. A BTS transmission is a bit out of my budget at this time. The exhaust brake is pushing my budget, but if effective for the price, would make me feel better about stopping this heavy trailer.

As for the turbo, I happened to see some people saying they still got turbo surge without replacing the wheel. So advice on which wheel to run would be great.

Injectors, what is the general thoughts on the CC options I'm looking for? Should I go bigger/smaller?

Hydra seems to be best choice for chips?

Any advice on best exhaust brake/is it worth it?

Also just any general thoughts on my overall plan?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 06:37 PM

My Photos: (8)
Adding big HP to a high mile truck is asking for more work, 80 HP is night and day when you are towing. Gauges/tranny cooler are a great ideal. I would consider just getting a wicked wheel for the turbo and a programer. Do not change injectors if you don't need to. A 80-100 hp tow program makes a world of difference. I tow a 12,000 lb 5th wheel, My last truck ran the Rockys and all Alaska hills with no problems on stock injectors/80 hp tow/and a H2E turbo. I am not a big fan of the rebuilt/high flow injectors. Do the low buck mods first you may find that is all you need and you will not tear up your tranny as fast. Unless you tow every day I don't think a exhaust brake is worth it with a auto tranny. Maybe one of the EBV mods with tranny lockup but I would do a search on that to see how the tranny holds up.
DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
Adding big HP to a high mile truck is asking for more work, 80 HP is night and day when you are towing. Gauges/tranny cooler are a great ideal. I would consider just getting a wicked wheel for the turbo and a programer. Do not change injectors if you don't need to. A 80-100 hp tow program makes a world of difference. I tow a 12,000 lb 5th wheel, My last truck ran the Rockys and all Alaska hills with no problems on stock injectors/80 hp tow/and a H2E turbo. I am not a big fan of the rebuilt/high flow injectors. Do the low buck mods first you may find that is all you need and you will not tear up your tranny as fast. Unless you tow every day I don't think a exhaust brake is worth it with a auto tranny. Maybe one of the EBV mods with tranny lockup but I would do a search on that to see how the tranny holds up.
DENNY
I am fine with leaving the stock injectors, I'm not looking for mega power. But I definitely do want to upgrade the turbo, the YouTube videos I have seen of the GTP38R lack of lag has me sold. But I also want to never worry about turbo surge ever again either. That is my primary goal for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 10:09 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
The cheapest and easiest surge fix is an old style wicked wheel and can be done in your driveway by you if you have basic skills and tools. Hydra is a good choice for a chip with tunes and yes to gages and larger trans cooler.

2000 F250 XLT 4x4 SC 7.3 w/rebuilt 4R100, 3 autometer gages, Super Zoodad, PHP Hydra chip, 4" DP/Exhaust w/dual 3.5" outlets, 275/70/18 Kumho AT51s on 8.5" rims, 08 AlumDiffCvr, Bilsteins, 31 row trans cooler, WW, BPV delete, AIH delete, hutch, harpoon and billet FPR (70psi), rear air bags, Jimmijammers.
Jayco 26BHS elite, no RV parks...just the woods, lakes and streams if possible.
See my album for a recent pic.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 03:08 PM
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (11)
My truck is a six speed so it reacts differently to chips and tuners. I installed a billet wheel and it cured my compressor surge when towing my 11,500# 5th wheel. I also have the Hydra chip and love it. I tried the 65hp tow setting but my egt's would climb right through 1300 on the long climbs out here NV/CA/UT/AZ so eventually settled on the 25hp towing mode. I can use the 40hp but on the big hills have to drop it down to the 25hp. This is what's so good about the Hydra, switch on the fly and can choose 15 different settings. When not towing I run the 75hp daily driver most of the time.
Bill

2002 F350 CC, LB, 4X4, 7.3, 6 Speed. Billet Compresor Wheel. Ford AIS Filter. Frx, Hpx, CVD Fittings. Bank's Bighead Actuator, PHP Hydra and a Bunch of Other Mods. Towing 2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5th. Wheel. US Navy Retired E8. Hoping for Liberty and Justice for All.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in