The Diesel Stop banner

What to do?

4K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  ArcticDriver 
#1 ·
My 2000 F250SD in in the shop for a new transmission and turbo rebuild. I have had it since 2002 and it has 245,000 miles on it. When I bought it the previous owner had installed the Banks Power Pack unit. I an upgrading the transmission cooler to a Mishimoto 6L cooler, Dorman bellowed up-pipes, EBPV delete and adding a Riffraff billet wheel along with a 360 bearing rebuild kit. I am also adding the Banks exhaust brake to help when pulling my 39' camper and heavy farm tractor. The PCM needs replacing also as it is defective now allowing the proper shifting of the 1-2 in the trans. My question is do I send the Banks chip back to be reburned to match with the updated PCM on delete it and go with a Hydra? That is the question. I'm not looking for all out power/racing but solid power for towing and reliability. The Banks chip has served me well but if the Hydra would be a much better unit for a few dollars more then it would be money well spent. I just not the familiar with programable tuners so to speak. Open to suggestions so fire away.

#2 ·
Go with a tuner- the Hydra or DP- Tuner. No question. Shift on the fly capability is a real plus. Having all of the tunes available and being able to install them at home to try them out on your truck will allow you to get the best possible setup for your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: aclasshog
#4 ·
I do have 1 question concerning the Banks trans command on the truck now. If I go with the Hydra chip will I still need the trans command for increasing line pressure to the transmission or does the programming in the hydra compensate for need in increased line pressure for the transmission to operate properly so the trans command can be removed from the truck? Since I'm installing a new transmission I don't want to damage it from the start.

#5 ·
Remove and sell the banks stuff. Hydra has tunes for both regular and shift kit trans. They will probably conflict with each other...

#6 · (Edited)
Update on my saga... stopped by the local Ford dealership to get an update on the progress. Come to find out my up-pies were leaking and there was a leak between the exhaust housing and the body of the turbo. SO I'm thinking that's the cause of my low boost. Then I'm told that the waste gate rod wasn't adjusted properly and wasn't shutting all the way. Guess I was lucky I was getting 10lbs. of boost...hahahaha. Well, I'm having the turbo rebuilt with the 360 bearing kit and a new billet Riffraff wheel in place of the WW that originally came with the Banks Power Pack kit. Hoping tor 25+ lbs of boost. oh yea the up-pipes have been replaced with Dorman bellowed pipes. Along with a new Hydra chip I should have a totally new animal.

#7 ·
Another update on this saga...picked up my truck from the ford dealer yesterday. Driving to work this morning I noticed the trans shifted rather hard 2nd to 3rd and what did I next see the OD light flashing on the selector knob. Back to the dealer she must go. New Ford trans and converter and PCM. Wonder what it could be?

#8 ·
What was your cost?
Thanks

No doubt they will make it right.

#10 ·
What is their warranty?

#13 ·
Glad it's covered but hope my soon to be installed trans goes smoothly...

#14 ·
Well, after extensive testing it has been determined that this transmission valve body is bad and Ford does not have a new valve body so the reman center is sending another reman 4r100 transmission. I just wonder if this transmission is going to be ok or if it will be a repeat. Time will tell I guess. To say I am aggravated is an understatement. I will also add never take anything to Crossroads Ford and expect good service from them. Company policy must be tell a lie to buy time and ask for forgiveness later.

#15 ·
Sorry for the delayed update. 2nd trans was installed and codes were still thrown. Come to find out my alternator would sometimes only put out 11.8 volts. That was the reason of the codes and is suspected to be the culprit of causing the 1st trans to fail.

#16 ·
Well atleast you are getting it sorted.

The first bit of wisdom I received here on TDS was to get gauges.

The ScanGauge-2 has a voltmeter display and so owners can quickly spot things such as irregularities in voltage output.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.