What's "new" these days? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What's "new" these days?

Haven't been around at all for the past few years (haven't been driving the PSD very much at all) and have lost touch with what's working, what's hot and what's not.

When I last spent a pile of time and money sorting out air inlet systems, I ended up with the Ford severe service retrofit with an extra hole leading to the earlier LH fender air inlet. I mention this since it was not until last fall that I FINALLY had to change the original Donaldson blue filter element. When I ordered it from local Ford dealer, the parts guy knew what it was, but says he seldom encounters it at all. That, for the record, was almost 100,000 miles of driving on interstates AND a lot of back (as in gravel) roads and construction sites before the pressure drop at WOT became significant (yes, still instrumented). What is everyone else doing these days?

Second issue: batteries always seemed to be a weak spot for this truck. 18 months ago, I borke down and bought a pair of AGMs (can't remember brand - and truck is stranded up in the bush broken right now). It was around $600.00 (I have better source now!) BUT, I have now been through two SK winters (it is -34 here right now) and a long summer with almost no use at all, and the batteries are performing immensely well. Started with my Miata (OEM was AGM), liked that, did so with my KLRs that gave me cause to try the truck. I won't put flooded cells in ANYTHING any more. That good.

Any other really great discoveries over the past 5 years? Sure glad I held onto the 7.3 rather than becoming a test pilot for FoMoCo and Navistar.

Oh, and for those who were following: The USG 0.855 aux trans project ended about the same time (one of the reasons I lost a lot of interest). While the ratios were perfect for the ZF, and the operation was fantastic, I could not get USG guys to agree that the 1 quart of oil in the box was not sufficient. Overheating would kill it on a long climb, and I could EASILY have solved that by putting a pump, cooler and filter circuit through the side cover, but they refused to do go along with it. After a few failures, they were tired of the custom build (timing was different, as it used some fancy re-arrangement to deal with the different number of gear teeth on ONE gear only). It looks like they have never built the parts needed to fit the later transfer case and have decided to just let the whole thing coast (which is IMHO what they were already doing with aux box and ex brake then).

2000 F450 Lariat 4x4 tractor, rebuild at 200k in '12, Air Dog, Reg Mod, HX & HP all in hard SS lines, bypass filter, Banks Power Elbow w/3.5 dp, no intake heat, CCV mod, AIS (w/extra hole), some big Alliant single shots, GP indicator LED, custom 4" exhaust, 4" USG exhaust brake, custom alum. rear diff cover extension (dipstick & temp), Detroit locker, ESPAR D5 aux. heat, custom alum tow deck and fuel tanks, Bushwacker 1 1/2" flares, 9k winch, gin poles, JWSpeaker 8900 LED headlamps in XL grille, Lightforce 240GT (still Halogen, but VERY bright), Hella Micro DE HID fogs, KW = vision plus (Isspro) instruments, more to come & lots of other diesels

Last edited by Pat Dolan; 02-20-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in