Which wheel? Ceramic coated up pipes? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By yan7gin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Which wheel? Ceramic coated up pipes?

So I'm looking at changing out my turbo wheel. I'll be replacing my leaky up pipes with the IH bellowed ones (considering the ceramic coated), and while I'm in there I'll do the EBPV delete (not leaking now but to avoid future problems and it's maybe only a few times a year do I actually ever let it warm up for more than 30 seconds before taking off).

My truck is pretty much stock with 207k on the odometer. Put a Ford AIS air filter setup in it a few days ago and aside from the 200 amp alternator (support ham radio stuff, spotlights) I've been running, it's stock under the hood. No injectors, no fuel tweaks, no exhaust, no tunes, no nada. No plans for doing those items either.

Heck, I've still got the original trans (although I figure I'll be redoing that within a year).

My plan is to get a toy hauler 5th wheel, gross of 12.5k. Currently I pull my buggy on a single axle trailer, so only about 2k total there plus all the camping gear. Occasionally borrow a travel trailer. Would likely upgrade to a tow service HD type trans when it comes time for that.

So given all that I'm looking at, which wheel to get? I see that there are a number of options, and from what I can tell the Wicked Wheel 2 and RiffRaff billet seem most popular? Is either one (or another) better for my application? Also, is the RR wheel the same as the RiffRaff wheel?

As for the ceramic coated pipes, I understand the idea behind them. While they are a bit more than wrapping the up pipes the appeal is that I don't have to do anything with them. Or are they more gimicky and not worth the extra cost?

I'll be adding an EGT gauge. For now I'll have the hole drilled and plug it with a bolt until I get the gauge mounting/wiring sorted out.

I'm not looking to show up my buddy in his 6.7, just want to keep the truck going for another 200k since I don't want 6.7 payments.

Glenn

2002 F-350/XLT/PSD/SRW/CC/LB/4x4OR/Auto 233k miles
Ford AIS, Edge Insight CTS2 (no tunes), ceramic coated International bellowed up-pipes, RiffRaff billet wheel, EBPV delete pedestal/outlet, RiffRaff boot set, Turbo Master mechanical waste gate actuator, 6.0 trans cooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 11:35 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My buddy Glenn, Like your longevity thinking.

Ok, get off IH bellowed. Let alone a "ceramic coating offered by some vendors.

BD Bellowed Up Pipes Stainless, Made in Canada. Find best price from multiple vendors.

ThermoTech Cool It large turbo insulate wrap kit. Multiple vendors including Amazon.... Serious underhood heat reduction, helping plastic components live longer.
Triple wrapping this up pipes and doing the aluminized overlay will hold that heat boy and when it hits...ssszzzz.

Compressor side.. I like the BD Billet or the $10 less identical, made by BD for XDP( site sponsor ), it's a quiet 25-30 lb range wheel. This is where you want to be for longevity.. Others are obnoxious and with the right actuator push it higher than you want to be for longevity and cab noise if over 20 something.

Glenn buddy, don't know how to do links but suggest doing site or Google search for 2 threads authored by me.

Barder's 360, XDP billet, Applied Performance actuator ( Maryland dieselnick )

BD Stainless Up Pipes All Wrapped Up ( Maryland dieselnick )

Follow as directed and
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The BD bellowed pipes that I was looking at are showing at about the same price as the IH bellowed up pipes.

I saw this ThermoTec kit here: Thermo Tec Turbo Insulating Kit #15002 which I don't know if this is the kit you are referring to. It's basically $40 less than the ceramic coating. Appeal of the ceramic is that there is no fuss. I had seen your links, by the time I add in the cost for the bands and banding tool it's right near the price of the ceramic coating. The ceramic claims a reduction of about 60% heat. Don't know how that compares to the wrapping.

The RiffRaff wheel (5-7psi gain) is at $179, the BD billet is $211. WW2 is about $229.

Will I need to look into a mechanical waste gate actuator with this setup?

Glenn

Ford AIS, Edge Insight CTS2 (no tunes), ceramic coated International bellowed up-pipes, RiffRaff billet wheel, EBPV delete pedestal/outlet, RiffRaff boot set, Turbo Master mechanical waste gate actuator, 6.0 trans cooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 12:56 AM

Some here really like the mechanical models like Dieselsite's.

You have run price numbers. Triple wrapping with overlay is going to hold way more heat in and is stainless.

Last edited by Maryland dieselnick; 09-11-2016 at 12:58 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 10:11 AM

My Photos: (0)
I agree with Nick on the BD billet wheel.
It is quiet and elininates surge. plus a little power bump.

Dieselsite lists a max boost of 32 psi. At that boost level your at 39 psi of back pressure So nothing to worry about.

I really like how Nick wrapped everything. Way less heat under the hood and noise.

99.5 f250 7.3 4x4- 277k FF 160/30, Hydra w/SDK Tunes, S&B CAI, 4" Exhaust, Van turbo w/Riffraff Billet wheel, Autometer Gauges, Built Trans, Trucool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.

Dads-2000 f250 7.3 4x4- 118k K&N Intake w/Amsoil Filter, 4" Exhaust, Autometer Gauges, Superchip 1705 (Tow Safe), BD Billet Wheel, TruCool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 03:50 PM

Who sells ceramic coated up pipes? Never seen that offered. Will search on thermo wrap

2002 lariat F250 CC,4x4, 145k, MBRP exh, AFE II, 6.0 cooler, EBV delete, IAH delete, Firestone air bags, led headlights, revelco, autometer pyro & trans temp, retrax, 2013 artic fox 22H, husa FE250
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 09:50 PM

Riffraff does. But it's not cheap

My dad truck tows a 10k 5'er every summer and does fabulous with just a few simple mods. Even with generic superchip tunes he has no issues with egts on big hills.

99.5 f250 7.3 4x4- 277k FF 160/30, Hydra w/SDK Tunes, S&B CAI, 4" Exhaust, Van turbo w/Riffraff Billet wheel, Autometer Gauges, Built Trans, Trucool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.

Dads-2000 f250 7.3 4x4- 118k K&N Intake w/Amsoil Filter, 4" Exhaust, Autometer Gauges, Superchip 1705 (Tow Safe), BD Billet Wheel, TruCool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 07:34 AM

There's a vendor on amazon that has a nice set of bellowed up pipes for $109 with great reviews! I just got a set but haven't installed them yet. Now y'all have me thinking about wrapping them before I install them! Thanks.... lol

Gator
>|--|~

2001 F-450 4x4 XL CrewCab Flatbed (Loved this truck, sold it to a friend and he says he will never sell it!)
2000 F-350 4x4 Lariat LE CrewCab Flatbed - 325k miles all stock, needs some maintenance but still going strong! (My daily driver)
1999.5 F-350 XLT CCSB - 335k all stock (now a parts truck)
2002 F250 CCSB 4x4 previous owner threw a lot of aftermarket money at it with little gain, added a TS6 w/Gearhead tunes. (Brother's daily driver)
2001 F350 CCLB - 180k all stock (Sister in laws daily driver)
2005 Ford Expedition (Wife's daily driver)
Wife is patiently waiting for the right Diesel 4x4 Ecursion to show up....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And many other non-Ford vehicles...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Update:
Installed new up pipes (ceramic coated International bellowed from RiffRaff), a RiffRaff billet wheel and Garrett turbo rebuild kit, EBP delete (RiffRaff pedestal Garrett output port), new CAC boots (RiffRaff) and a DieselSite Turbo Master waste gate actuator. I also got all the various reinstall bolt kits and whatnot that my mechanic truly appreciated making his job that much easier. He liked the new CAC boots as well. They fit nice and tight and are much thicker than the stock boots. The International up pipes went on very easy and fit right up without any issues.

End result is that the boost comes on quite a bit quicker now and I'm peaking at 20-21 lbs of boost when before I was seeing 15-16 lbs. Additionally I no longer have the pat-pat-pat exhaust noise from the leaking up pipes.

Makes me start wondering about some DP tunes now...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 10:20 PM

Time for a hydra. 375 bucks and comes with a whole library of tunes for free.

You will really like that setup with tunes.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 12:45 PM

Glenn, just curious, what did the hired wrench cost you? Looking at the overall cost savings of doing it myself.

I'm also wrapping my pipes like Nick has shown.

2001 F-250CC Lariat,Dark Highland Green,PSD,4x4,srw,short box,limited slip,3.73s
EBPV Delete, SPTurboost 5/5 wheel, MBRP 4", RiffRaff Boots,Severe Duty AIS, ISSPRO EV2 Gauges
Takes me to where I'm hunting, from there it's up to me!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 02:42 PM

I'd figure a shop charges 7-10 hours labor at 60-120 dollars and hour for labor.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Was about $400. I decided against wrapped pipes as I didn't want to worry about the longevity of the wrap, and the ceramic coating was in line with the cost of wrapping or less depending on how much wrap you use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glenn

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 11:41 PM

Garage
Like Blue said, time for the Hydra. I have almost the same setup and push 35psi :P
BroncoGlenn likes this.

F350 2002 7.3

auto, 37/13.5/20 open country, Bushwaker cut-out flare, Bilstein 5100, Maxtow gauges (EGT, Trans temp, Boost), 4 inch diamond eye turbo back axel drop with BTM muffler, S&B intake, RR AIH plug, billet FPR with gold spring, CNCfab Sgt 1 HPOP, CNCfab HPOP line with cross over, CNCfab 4 line fuel kit, ARP heads stud, RDP plenum reinforcing insert, complete CAC intercooler boot kit, full engine seal and gasket kit, 360* turbo rebuilt, WWII, EGPV delete, dark blue CPS, Hydra chip with SDK tunes, Polished compressor manifold, HD coolant, 203* thermostat, Transgo HD kit, Energy suspension bushing kit, front and rear diff fully rebuilt with 4:88 gear ratio, Z36 powerstop heavy hauling brake kit, headlight relay mod, Fumoto drain valve AND STICKER

F350 2008 6.4 (sold)

TT 26' Springdale 2014
7x17 enclose trailer (shop) 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in