02 7.3 like new - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-2007 Super Duty. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are not engine-specific.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By DonWarkentin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 02 7.3 like new

hello I have a 02 7.3 265000 miles. had it since 03. runs ok. would like to have it run like new. what should I update? only thing I,ve replaced is the high oil pressure pump. everything else original.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:40 PM

Change the engine oil and transmission fluid. Check the tires and brakes and replace them if needed. If you would let us know in what ways it is running less than like new, then we could recommend specific things to replace rather than just giving you a long list of things that might have some wear on them and might run better with a new part.

2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, Odyssey extreme 65-PC1750T batteries, Michelin LTX-MS2 rear tires, Sumitomo Encounter front tires, Shell Rotella Ultra elc, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 250,000 miles, repairs so far: two starters, batteries, cps, brakes, tires, alternator, ball joints, locking hub, wheel hub, AC compressor, serpentine belt, power steering pump, driver's side window, ignition switch, o-ring, Spectra premium radiator, water pump, fan clutch, fan blades, thermostat, thermostat housing, tensioner. Stolen twice so far, but recovered both times with major damage.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:58 PM

With that amount of miles you may be getting close to needing to replace the injectors. Depends on how it runs, but most only get to 300k before needing it done. I bet your fuel pump is getting tired. A total fuel bowl rebuilding is probably a good idea. Get the parts at dieselorings.com

2002 F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 7.3L Lariat 2WD 131,000mi; 4in turbo back custom exhaust, Garrett GTP38R turbo, Riffraff intercooler boots, Dorman Up-Pipes, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, Scangauge II, ISSPRO EV2 Boost-EGT-Trans temp-Fuel pressure Gauges, DP T-5 Tuner (stock ,60HP tow, Decel, 60HP highway econo, 80HP city econo), Dieselsite coolant filtration, Max Air A/C mod, foglight mod, AIH delete, LED interior, back up camera, hid foglights.

I have AE if you are in San Diego area and need help. Send PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 01:27 PM

Test the batteries and alternator and replace if needed. If the starter is starting to slow down, then go ahead and replace that. Check the radiator for leaks. If the serpentine belt is getting worn, then replace it along with the tensioner. If the steering isn't working too well, then replace the steering pump. How is the air conditioning? Check to see if you have any leaks in the air conditioning system. Check all of the radiator and heating hoses and replace if necessary. Check the coolant reservoir for leaks and replace if necessary. Replace the seats if they are worn. Put in new carpeting and floor mats. Repair any body damage and repaint. Check to see if there is any looseness in the wheels and replace the ball joints and wheel bearings if needed. Replace steering parts if there is too much play in the steering. If the transmission is slipping, then rebuild the transmission. Install a new exhaust system if you have any leaks. Replace the dash lights if any are burned out.
JJEdwards likes this.

2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, Odyssey extreme 65-PC1750T batteries, Michelin LTX-MS2 rear tires, Sumitomo Encounter front tires, Shell Rotella Ultra elc, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 250,000 miles, repairs so far: two starters, batteries, cps, brakes, tires, alternator, ball joints, locking hub, wheel hub, AC compressor, serpentine belt, power steering pump, driver's side window, ignition switch, o-ring, Spectra premium radiator, water pump, fan clutch, fan blades, thermostat, thermostat housing, tensioner. Stolen twice so far, but recovered both times with major damage.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 01:00 PM

If you have a daily driver like mine, it should have less issues. I would install new bellowed up pipes and boots for the inter cooler and turbo. Long life coolant, flush brake lines, power steering etc. AIS intake, fix leaks, cnc fab oil lines w crossover & exhaust pipes or Walker BTMuffler

2002 F350 7.3 psd supercab dually 2wd, AIS, Moog joints, Bilstein, Michelin Defender LTX, Dieselsite coolant filter, red ELC, prepump spin-on fuel filter, 260,000 miles, hutch/harpoon mod, marinco mod, scan gauge ll, Zoodad, Dieselsite boots, pedestal delete, CNC Fab w/ crossover oil lines, 6.0 trans cooler, replaced oil pan, Walker BTM, Denso starter, bellowed up pipes, rebuilt oil cooler, billet dip stick adapter, HD glow plug relay

1974 CJ6 ... off the frame needs work
2013 Expedition... wife's car
Panhead ... 53 motor, 51 tanks, B grind cam, S&S carb, points, drum brakes ... It doesn't just sit in the garage

Last edited by panhead george; 06-28-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in