Adding Additional Switch for Factory Fog Lights - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-2007 Super Duty. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are not engine-specific.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool Adding Additional Switch for Factory Fog Lights

I want the ability to turn my 2001 factory fog lights on without the headlights or parking lights, yet keep the factory switch functional. I'm thinking along the line of adding a switch with a relay that will power the lights on demand. Will this cause any issues by sending power back thru the factory harness/switch?

2001 F250 CC 4x4 7.3
  • ATS Exhaust
  • Riffraff Intake
  • PHP Hydra Chip
  • 285/75R16 Toyo Open Country R/T
  • Access Bed Cover
  • 05-07 Harley Headlights with Morimoto 55w D2S 5.0 Projectors / 80mm RGB Halos / RGB Demon Eyes / Morimoto Bluetooth Controller / Yellow LED Strip / Switchback LED Turn signal
  • Raptor Style Grill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 05:10 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grand Pooh-Bah View Post
I want the ability to turn my 2001 factory fog lights on without the headlights or parking lights, yet keep the factory switch functional. I'm thinking along the line of adding a switch with a relay that will power the lights on demand. Will this cause any issues by sending power back thru the factory harness/switch?
If I’m following you, the fog light switch would be turned off, through the headlight switch pull knob—so nowhere for it to back feed if your tying into the 12 v supply at the fog lights that runs along the front bumper. By all means fuse but I’m not sure why you’re using a relay unless you’re wanting to use a very small wire to trigger the relay and pick up 12v power nearer the front of the truck. Not unusual for more than one 12v Supply tied into same circuit (example: 12v bilge pump on a watercraft)- one for float switch and another for manual on/off. I recently had my fog lights out from the front of my truck (2002) but don’t remember what gage the wires were—IMO, if I was going to do it that’s where I’d tap in with a fused wire of the appropriate size/and a switch. Get some other opinions from the guys on here but see no reason why it wouldnt work. My Boat doesn’t have a computer to worry about 😉

Note: on classic cars the use of a relay is often used when upgrading to halogen headlights as the oem wiring will not handle the amp load of halogens safely- but will trigger relay off/on and then picking up a heavier gage 12v wire, supplied from a fused distribution block/battery to the relay on the power in/ and on the out providing power , which is what I’ve done on my 59

2002 F350 7.3L / 4R100 - 4WD CC DRW 8 Box, AIH Delete, Gauges- Pyro, Trans Temp, Boost, Fuel Pressure, TS-6 tuner, Zoodad Mod, Mishimoto 31 row Trans cooler, Mobil 1 ATF, Trans return line ATF filter, Hutch/Harpoon Mod, Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 rear air springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, Timbrens on the front.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 08:29 PM

Here is a 12v ampacity chart— length/amp/gage

http://assets.bluesea.com/files/reso...on_chartlg.jpg

2002 F350 7.3L / 4R100 - 4WD CC DRW 8 Box, AIH Delete, Gauges- Pyro, Trans Temp, Boost, Fuel Pressure, TS-6 tuner, Zoodad Mod, Mishimoto 31 row Trans cooler, Mobil 1 ATF, Trans return line ATF filter, Hutch/Harpoon Mod, Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 rear air springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, Timbrens on the front.

Last edited by Big Horn; 02-10-2019 at 01:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in