The Diesel Stop banner

Which ATF in 4wd transfer case '2002 F350

5K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  ArcticDriver 
#1 ·
Mark Kovalsky reccomended the Mobil 1 atf for the 4R100, glad I listened- very happy with it! Can I also drain and refill my transfer case with Mobil 1 atf?

#3 ·
Mobil is fine I agree... so is Motorcraft Mercon LV. That seems to be the current go to replacement fluid for things like transfer cases and power steering and who knows what else... I would not put it in my coffee though.

#7 ·
? more of a cream/sugar guy myself ?

Thanks everyone— got to try out my 4wd for the first time this morning. My Father (78) slid his 1967 F350 dumptruck off the road and down the ditch couple days ago after a light snow. The 2002 F350 7.3L pulled it out like it didn’t even know it was hitched (tow rope) to anything.

Reactions: bde269
#5 · (Edited)

Attachments

#6 ·
Glen, it's a great idea to flush and fill your 4R100 transmission with Mobil 1 synthetic and use the same Mobil 1 in the transfer case. I have been running it well over 10 years and change transfer case fluid whenever I change trans fluid, why not, it just another couple of quarts. That way in my truck spares I don't have to have more than one kind of fluid to top off trans or transfer case should I have a roadside issue.

#8 ·
Thanks Oneof6, that’s what I was thinking—I know a lot of guys don’t seem to care for the TS-6 chip, and I was a little concerned at first after installation—- but after the flush and fill of Mobil 1 it’s a whole different animal and the TS is working great! My truck is all stock.

Noticed you’re from mid Alabama, Kathy and I are heading down to Gulf Shores December 26th — hope the weather is nice

#10 ·
For what it's worth, Ford's "Transfer Case Fluid" probably IS Mercon. :shrug03:

I have not heard of older t-cases being damaged by the use of MerconV. The fact that they're "older" may have something to do with failures, rather than the lubricant used. There isn't anything in a t-case that's all that sensitive, such as clutch packs, or yellow metal (synchronizers), to lubricant content, like there are in auto trannys.

#11 ·
Right. I am actually surprised that Ford still offers power steering and transfer case fluid any more. Oh, by the way, Mercon LV is specified "For use in all transfer cases" by Ford. Somebody needs to get their panties un-bunched.

#12 ·
Right. I am actually surprised that Ford still offers power steering and transfer case fluid any more.

Equally surprising might be encountering a Ford diesel senior master service technician who is unaware of what fluids Ford currently produces and recommends for Ford diesel vehicles, but given the age of the vehicle under discussion, it isn't. Here is the memo:

May 18, 2007

To: All Ford, Lincoln and Mercury Dealerships
Subject: MERCON Automatic Transmission Fluid To Be Discontinued

BACKGROUND:

Effective July 1, 2007, the production and licensing of MERCON Automatic Transmission Fluid will cease. These actions are not exclusive to Motorcraft and affect all producers of MERCON. MERCON V provides significant performance improvements over MERCON especially with transmission shift performance at low temperatures and anti-shudder.

SERVICING FORMER MERCON APPLICATIONS:

Automatic Transmission, Power Steering Systems and Manual Transmissions previously requiring MERCON must now be serviced with MERCON V.

Transfer Case Systems previously calling for MERCON must now be serviced using Transfer Case Fluid, part number XL-12, specification # ESP-M2C166-H (release and TSB pending).

Power steering systems listed in TSB 07-1-7 can continue to be service with Premium Power Steering Fluid, XL-9 or F7AZ-3F823-BA (specification # WSA-M2C195-A).

Ford does not recommend the use of any products that do not meet the above specifications or ATFs that claim to be the equivalent of MERCON or being acceptable for these applications.

PART NUMBERS TO BE OBSOLETED:

XT-2-QDX MERCON Quart bottles
XT-2-DDX MERCON 55 Gallon Drums
XT-2-TDX MERCON Totes
XT-2-BDX MERCON Bulk

NEW PART NUMBER RELEASED EFFECTIVE AUGUST 1, 2007:

XL-12, Motorcraft Transfer Case Fluid Quart is scheduled for release August 1, 2007.

Please see your Motorcraft Ford Authorized Distributor or Bulk Oil Distributor for availability

PART NUMBERS NOT AFFECTED BY THESE CHANGES:

XL-9 Power Steering Fluid

F7AZ-3F823-BA Power Steering Fluid

(RT posted this same memo several years ago on this forum in a post on this same topic)

Oh, by the way, Mercon LV is specified "For use in all transfer cases" by Ford.

Exactly... which is why I said "which does not necessarily rule out the use of Mercon LV". But when taking all of the information that Ford has provided in totality, there seems to be an incompatibility in one direction, where XL-12 Transfer Case Fluid cannot be used in transfer cases calling for Mercon LV. And since Ford already clearly directs that XL-12 be used in transfer cases that previously called for Mercon, is Ford anticipating that service techs would even consider Mercon LV instead of the XL-12 Ford calls for? There is enough potential for misinterpretation of one sentence for me to stick with what Ford clearly recommends.

Somebody needs to get their panties un-bunched.

This is neither instructive nor constructive.

#13 ·
Just use AMSOIL and all problems solved!>:)
DENNY

#14 ·
or shaeffer's :winking:

#15 · (Edited)
Just to update this old thread:
Motorcraft "Transfer Case Fluid" (XL-12) is no longer manufactured or even available on the web.
Ford now recommends the Motorcraft LV for the Transfer Case in vehicles where XL-12 had been recommended.

Another option is the Valvoline Synthetic Transfer Case Fluid:

Another option is the Royal Purple Synchromax Fluid:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.