Back Up Lights? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-2007 Super Duty. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are not engine-specific.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Back Up Lights?

Anyone added back up lights to their rear bumper? If so, where did you get them. I did this years ago to my 1995 and it worked great. At that time I bought my kit from Cabela's...but they no longer sell them.

Thanks, Griz

02 F250, 4X4, 4R100, 3.73, B&M Transmission Pan, Edge CTS Digital Gage, Tymar 4" Exhaust, Tymar Intake & HPX & TS 6 Position Chip. IH Bellowed Up-Pipes, RiffRaff AIH delete plug, Riffraff FRx Kit. 6.0 Transmission Cooler. Dieselsite Coolant filter & Transmission filter & 203 Thermostat & WW2 & TurboMaster & inter-cooler boots. BD CCV filter. Driven Diesel Fuel Tank Mod & Pre-Pump Filter. John Wood's valve body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 01:56 PM

My Photos: (4)
I bought a cheap set of "driving lights" from Walmart and added them to my rear bumper/hitch area. Instead of triggering them with the backup lights, I ran them off of a switch I installed in the dash. You can grab power from the trailer charging wire.

2002 F350 XLT, CC, SB, 4x4, Auto, AIC, DiabloSport Predator, BD X-Monitor, Kenwood TM-V7A, Pioneer 7400MP3, Infinity 5.25" Components, Infinity 10" Sub in a Q-Logic Box, Heated Mirrors, Gentex/Mito Auto Dimming Mirror, Rear ID Bar, Uniden PC78 Elite CB, Clifford Matrix RS3 Alarm/Remote Start, Keypad Entry, Homemade "Tymar", custom, muffler back exhaust, 6 Whelen LED's in rear window, 6 Whelen Strobes in the Front, Rears still not installed...
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 02:21 PM

My Photos: (35)
I am with 96 on this...
I added some lights up on the rack that is on top of the van and then added another set in the rear tail light housings.
There are some photos of what I have done to the van posted in my photos.
Having 4x55watt lights in the back works great when there is a long very dark drive that I need to back down ..

2000 E350 7.3PSD, Hellwig Stablizer bar, 1.5"spacers from old Correct track OR,140 Lightforce with covers, 5x7 LED's From Truck-lite, extras in the bumper. 4"Aero Turbin and 4" all the way back. 1705 program, Scangauge II,265/75/16E, My Photos
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION"

It riles them to believe
that you perceive
the web they weave
And keep on thinking free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 02:54 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
Mine are cheapo fog lights that I built a bracket for to mount them alongside the trailer hitch.

I wired them to a double throw switch so they would either work with the backup lights or independently.

Pics and a wiring diagram of my install here: TheDieselStop.Com Photo Hosting - Auxiliary Backup Lights

[Howard, your photo link was messed up, so I fixed it for you]

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
regulated return,

Last edited by klhansen; 02-24-2014 at 03:04 PM.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
Mine are cheapo fog lights that I built a bracket for to mount them alongside the trailer hitch.

I wired them to a double throw switch so they would either work with the backup lights or independently.

Pics and a wiring diagram of my install here: TheDieselStop.Com Photo Hosting - Auxiliary Backup Lights

[Howard, your photo link was messed up, so I fixed it for you]
Thanks everyone for your input and ideas. I think I can figure out now how to wire up some lights with your wiring diagram klhansen.

Griz

02 F250, 4X4, 4R100, 3.73, B&M Transmission Pan, Edge CTS Digital Gage, Tymar 4" Exhaust, Tymar Intake & HPX & TS 6 Position Chip. IH Bellowed Up-Pipes, RiffRaff AIH delete plug, Riffraff FRx Kit. 6.0 Transmission Cooler. Dieselsite Coolant filter & Transmission filter & 203 Thermostat & WW2 & TurboMaster & inter-cooler boots. BD CCV filter. Driven Diesel Fuel Tank Mod & Pre-Pump Filter. John Wood's valve body.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 02:59 PM

Garage
I just put a small set of LEDs on the ends of the rear bumper. measurement
3.5''x3/4'' they don't take up to much space

03 F250 4x4 CC 7.3ltr 4R100HD rebuilt, 160,000 Klms
GTP38R , Turbo-master , IH Bellowed up pipes, RiffRaff CAC boot kit, AIH delete, .
4" Turbo back exhaust ,Banks power elbow, LPG (Gas over diesel) DP F6 tuner, 40hp tow, 60hp tow, 80hp tow, 60hp, 80hp, 120hp race, Decel, 1200 RPM.
RiffRaff 6637 intake ,pre filter, Snorkle
Custom made trans cooler with twin thermo fans ,water to oil cooler
Scangauge 11,AutoMeter Trans temp, pyro ,Water/Oil temp, Fuel Pressure, Boost.
Longrange 120 ltr fuel tank and transfer pump, 15,000 lb winch, Warn winch bar, Lightforce HID spot lights, HID headlights, Black Widow Drawer System, Snugtop Canopy with gull windows, Fr & Rr ARB Diff locks, Hornblaster Train horns, Post fuel pump filter, RiffRaff FRx and HPx , Bilsteins x4, Onboard compressor , Air tank and water traps, Billet door handles, Alpine headset, Alpine overhead DVD player, Rockford Fosgate sub, Alpine amp and CD changer.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 03:31 PM

I got mine from e-trailer...great prices.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bumper lights.JPG
Views:	710
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	36874  

2000 F-350 Dually RWD, 7.3L 200K mi, Baldwin PA2818, Riffraff Billet Wheel, Riffraff FRx and HPx, Riffraff boots, Walker BTM, ISSPRO EV2 Pyro and Trans Temp, Scan Gauge II, and Hydra chip w/ PHP tunes

Towing 41ft Forest River Sierra 5th Wheel
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 05:11 PM

My Photos: (1)
I picked up a LED three or four inch round model from NAPA.I mounted it on under side of hitch.It puts a ton of light out but does not pull a lot of amps so I was able to just solder it to the revers lights wire.I plow at night and they are worth their weight in gold
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland dieselnick View Post
I picked up a LED three or four inch round model from NAPA.I mounted it on under side of hitch.It puts a ton of light out but does not pull a lot of amps so I was able to just solder it to the revers lights wire.I plow at night and they are worth their weight in gold
My old setup did have a relay in it because the lights were probably halogen...I don't remember for sure. But I know I need something besides the stock back up lights because they don't do much for me.

Griz

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 03:08 PM

My Photos: (2)
I mounted a set of rubber case tractor lamps to a set of bed stake pocket rubber insert eyes. These fit perfectly in the ends of the trailer hitch, you tighten the center bolt and presto, no holes drilled and the added bonus, it you back into a snow bank or something, the rubber mount is fairly forgiving.

2007 F350 SRW 6.0L Auto, 3.73LS, 172"WB 4x4. Viper Alarm/RS, WD pillar Guages,AutoEnginuity, 100gal polished alum fuel tank.
All Sold: 99.5, early03 , 2004 - all were 172" wb 4x4 lariat's.

My Worklog - *Updated 8/18 with Edge CTS2 install click here =>*:
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 07:08 AM

Something else to think about, depending on how much extra light you want, you can buy upgraded LED replacement lamps to replace the stock back-up lamps. I'll try to find a pic I took halfway through my install...

2002 F350 XLT, CC, SB, 4x4, Auto, AIC, DiabloSport Predator, BD X-Monitor, Kenwood TM-V7A, Pioneer 7400MP3, Infinity 5.25" Components, Infinity 10" Sub in a Q-Logic Box, Heated Mirrors, Gentex/Mito Auto Dimming Mirror, Rear ID Bar, Uniden PC78 Elite CB, Clifford Matrix RS3 Alarm/Remote Start, Keypad Entry, Homemade "Tymar", custom, muffler back exhaust, 6 Whelen LED's in rear window, 6 Whelen Strobes in the Front, Rears still not installed...
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 07:16 AM

Here is a shot of upgraded back up lamps....

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 12:24 PM

My Photos: (35)
From that angle it looks good, but what about where it counts , on the ground behind the truck at 30 Feet.

2000 E350 7.3PSD, Hellwig Stablizer bar, 1.5"spacers from old Correct track OR,140 Lightforce with covers, 5x7 LED's From Truck-lite, extras in the bumper. 4"Aero Turbin and 4" all the way back. 1705 program, Scangauge II,265/75/16E, My Photos

"FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION"

It riles them to believe
that you perceive
the web they weave
And keep on thinking free
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 09:53 PM

It's not as good as extra lights, but it's much better than the stock incandescent bulbs. If you look close in the picture, you can see gravel on the ground below the LED. On the other side you see... blackness.

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 10:39 PM

Here's a crappy cell phone pic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in