The Diesel Stop banner

Backup camera for 2001 XLT

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  NotRed 
#1 ·
I need to have a backup camera for a couple of reasons. 1) I keep hitting things when I back up, and 2) I pull trailers and one would be useful in hitching up and keeping me from jackknifing the trailer.

Need one with a video screen, that's very weatherproof, and doesn't cost over $100.

Any suggestions?

#2 ·
It’s on my list of upgrades as well, though I’ve been looking at name brands in the $275 - $300 range. I just did a google search (back up camera double din radio) and there were a couple (not name brand- Chinese?) sold by Wally World in the 100$ range but not sure about their quality. Maybe someone has bought one of the low end brands that they can give a review on.

#3 ·
I have been looking at a rear cab light camera AND a rear hitch camera. I would like to mount a monitor between the visors on the headliner. With two cameras I can check the load anytime while I am driving. I have not installed anything yet because I am not sure how to mount anything on the headliner.

#4 ·
I just found this on Amazon and think I will save up for it. You can have as many as four cameras going at the same time. That means I could have one on the back of the trailers, one inside the horse trailer (maybe), and one for the truck. The extra cameras are not cheap, though.

It gets incredibly good reviews on Amazon, but I haven't yet checked for independent reviews.

#5 ·
ck out Brandmotion.com I have used them & have no complaints @ all 1 on my 2008 f-350 & 1 on my 2012 jeep wrangler both work great. you need to be sure with the cheaper 1 out there you end up replacing them more then once & in turn you spend more in $ & x

Reactions: pitstop
#6 ·
I installed the Hopkins Smart Hitch Camera and Sensor System. might not be the bast, but it works good has two settings one for backing up / and the hitch for trailer.
just have to be careful as it is license plate frame mounted.

#8 ·
100 bucks is a pretty low threshold, but thats what I did. Don't mess with the cheap wireless junk, wire it in regardless. If you intend to dash mount the monitor, especially a cheap one, one has to protect it from extreme heat, so get a sun screen for when you park or the monitor won't last. I had to put a camera on my F250 after back surgery, I can't twist and look anymore and was backing into trash cans and mail boxes. Cant get by safely without it now.

#9 · (Edited)
Back in July I picked up a wireless, solar powered backup camera off the WalMart clearance table for $49. It was marked down from $139. It's a license plate frame mount for the camera, and windshield mount for the controller/screen. So far it works great. Makes it incredibly easy to hook up to the utility trailer. I don't need it for the 5th wheel. The signal range (33') almost let me put it on the back of the 5th wheel; that would have been great for trailer backing.

You do need supplemental lighting at night.

#10 ·
I bought a real good camera on Amazon for about $20 (later found out that my son't police force cars all use the same camera). I then purchased a 7" video playback screen for about $20 as well. I purchased cable to extend the cameras cable and hooked it into my truck's wiring so that it turns on automatically when I shift into reverse. I also have it wire to a switch so that I can turn it on manually at anytime. So, I think I have about $75 into the whole setup and I've been using it for about 8 years now. It works great. The screen I mounted above my rearview mirror.

Reactions: NotRed
#11 ·
I bought a real good camera on Amazon for about $20 (later found out that my son's police force cars all use the same camera). I then purchased a 7" video playback screen for about $20 as well. I purchased cable to extend the cameras cable and hooked it into my truck's wiring so that it turns on automatically when I shift into reverse. I also have it wire to a switch so that I can turn it on manually at anytime. So, I think I have about $75 into the whole setup and I've been using it for about 8 years now. It works great. The screen I mounted above my rearview mirror.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.