The Diesel Stop banner

Dash Powerpoint Mod

24K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  bigb 
#1 ·
This has probably been done before but it's new to me and I'm sharing. I just did the cheapest, coolest, and lately most beneficial mod to the Powerpoint cigarette plug on the dash. Everything we use now is USB and the USB adapter stuck out too far to use the cupholder and was always coming loose. I found a replacement for the 12V cigarette plug on amazon that has 2 USB ports at 2.1V each plus a readout for battery voltage, for $15 and I still have the regular 12V plug where the cigarette lighter is for whatever uses that.

I had to pull the dash cover and then just removed the original plug, installed the new USB and spliced the connections and WOW is it cool! Feels a little like a new truck :)

#2 ·
Post a link to the plug :)

#3 ·
Yes, please!!

#5 · (Edited)
That's pretty slick.
I searched Amazon yesterday after you first posted and found one that had 2 USB's and just plugged into the powerpoint or lighter socket and was nearly flush. That would be the one for the lazy folks who don't want to remove the dash panel. It didn't have the voltage display though.

#6 ·
#7 ·
LOL
What the heck CAN'T you buy on Amazon. :|

#8 ·
Any trick to getting the panel off or do you just pry? I assume this is just the black power point panel?

#9 ·
Take the whole dash panel off. First you have to remove the radio, then remove two screws at the top of that opening, then just pull the clips loose.

#10 ·
Thanks. Any trick to removing the radio?

#11 ·
#12 ·
My 2006 has a double DIN radio with no holes for inserting the tools. I have pulled those types of radios using bent coat hangers to depress the springs! I don't want to screw up the radio or the dash panel.

#13 ·
I looked up a youtube video on it. 2005 and up the whole dash panel comes off before the radio comes out. I don't need to remove the radio for this install!

#14 · (Edited)
And here it is! Looks pretty good I think. The black Powerpoint panel will come out seperate from the dash. i loosened the whole dash and reached behind it to release the four clips holding the black panel in. What is the 4 + wire plug that is attached to the powerpont panel (just clipped to it but not attached to anything)

Sorry I don't know how to change the orientation of the picture.

Attachments

#15 ·
Sorry I don't know how to change the orientation of the picture.
Looks good.

For the orientation of the picture you need to rotate it on your phone if that is what you took the picture with while the phone is in the upright position. Then save the picture in the correct orientation and then use that new photo for future post.

#16 ·
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Griffin-PowerJolt-Dual-Universal-Micro/dp/B0042B9U8Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1506980109&sr=8-1&keywords=griffin+dual+usb[/ame]

This fits perfectly and you can still close the cover on the front port. You can't close the cover on the rear seat one, but there are already USB ports back there.

#17 ·
Glad you guys liked the mod. I would like to add a USB port somewhere in the back seat for people sitting there but haven't figured out a good spot yet. My kids with their dog are usually back there so the plug needs to be on the door or back wall of the cab so the cord doesn't get tangled with the dog. If I could replace the cigarette tray in the door that would be nice or maybe put something near the rear overhead light, above the back seat, since there is power there. Any ideas?

#18 ·
On my 2006 there looks like there would be room in the side panel by the seat, up above the speakers maybe.

#19 ·
Here's my version of the Power Point Mod. Bought the Cllena Dual USB Socket Charger 2.1A&2.1A + LED Voltmeter + 12V Power Outlet + ON-OFF Toggle Switch from Amazon (link below), removed that useless trash bag hook under the cupholder/ash tray, made a replacement metal plate out of some fairly stout sheet metal, then cut a wedge-shaped backing plate for the unit out of a black hard-plastic Verbatim 3.5" floppy disk box from the 90's (remember when we used those???). The backing plate tilts the unit forward and makes it a lot more accessible for usage as well as easier to see the voltmeter.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4QWJUO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Actually tried to re-use the trash bag hook instead of the metal plate I ended up making by heating it with a heat gun to flatten it, and I was able to flatten it out substantially, but I just could not get the ridges that are molded into it quite flat enough to use.

Turned out great, and finally found a great use for that big space in the lower dash formerly occupied by one of :ford:'s NOT-So-Better ideas. This did take me most of a weekend, however, but a lot of that time was in trying to flatten the factory part, and searching for something to use behind the unit (the floppy disk box).

Attachments

#21 ·
Here's my version of the Power Point Mod. Bought the Cllena Dual USB Socket Charger 2.1A&2.1A + LED Voltmeter + 12V Power Outlet + ON-OFF Toggle Switch from Amazon (link below), removed that useless trash bag hook under the cupholder/ash tray, made a replacement metal plate out of some fairly stout sheet metal, then cut a wedge-shaped backing plate for the unit out of a black hard-plastic Verbatim 3.5" floppy disk box from the 90's (remember when we used those???). The backing plate tilts the unit forward and makes it a lot more accessible for usage as well as easier to see the voltmeter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4QWJUO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Actually tried to re-use the trash bag hook instead of the metal plate I ended up making by heating it with a heat gun to flatten it, and I was able to flatten it out substantially, but I just could not get the ridges that are molded into it quite flat enough to use.

Turned out great, and finally found a great use for that big space in the lower dash formerly occupied by one of :ford:'s NOT-So-Better ideas. This did take me most of a weekend, however, but a lot of that time was in trying to flatten the factory part, and searching for something to use behind the unit (the floppy disk box).

I know this thread is from last year but I was hoping for a look at that pic as the thumbnail no longer works. I am thinking about doing the same thing

#20 ·
Nice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.