KYB Monomax or Bilstein? - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-2007 Super Duty. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are not engine-specific.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Good idea but while I have the Monomax for all four corners, I only have the Bilstein 4600's for the front.
Having the Bilsteins and Monomax both in hand, here's a unscientific and maybe meaningless comparison.
When I compare the front Bilstein to the front Monomax and
1) compress both shocks slowly from fully extended to fully compressed, the Monomaxs are much, much harder to compress.
2) compress both shocks suddenly, as in dumping 200lbs on them in about a tenth of a second, the Monomaxs just don't react/compress much; the Bilsteins react and compress fairly quickly and moderately easily.
I wonder if that means anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logophore View Post
Hey if ur that ocd, and you have both, run that set backwards a while then switch it to how you think it will be good (kyb back, bilstein front) and report the difference here. You wanted an in depth answer, and couldnt find it, so give the next guy more info than you have! This thread is long enough that it will return as a search result for anyone else wanting the comparison. Good luck!

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

1999 F350 DRW Long Bed Crew Cab 4x4
Carries 5000lb+ Lance Camper
DP Tuner chip w/ 60econ, 120race, decel, hi idle
Stancor Glow Plug Relay
VDO gauges
Ford AIS and zoodad mod
MagnaFlow 4" Exhaust and muffler
Bellowed Up Pipes from Int'l
John Wood Eco HD trans, 6.0 cooler and Maghytec tranny pan
Maghytec rear diff cover w/ Mobil 1 75W-140
Mobil 1 ATF in trans/transfer case/powersteering Magnafine filters for tranny and power steering
Airbags, KYB Monomax shocks, Torklift Swaystops, Roadmaster 1.5" Rear Sway Bar
CCV mod
TransferFlow 57 gallon fuel tank
Riffraff fuel and oil crossover
Strictly Diesel fuel tank/pre-pump kit
Air intake heater delete Max A/C assist Braided 4WD shift hoses, Replacement boots for all turbo/intercooler boots, Coolant filtration system, 203*F thermostat
2 layers Dynamat Extreme on interior roof/floor/doors, Dynamat Xorb on Firewall
Alpine IVA1000 and amp, Python Alarm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 10:22 PM

My Photos: (0)
Not sure u can test them by hand... I think they behave very very differently under a thousand lbs of force on a washboard road when the shock is getting hit maybe 20 times a second... That being said let us know how u like them! Ive got an 02 7.3 ccsb with a 60 gallon aux tank in the back and pull a heavy 5th so id love to hear your experience

ArcticDriver likes this.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnorthdriver View Post
Good idea but while I have the Monomax for all four corners, I only have the Bilstein 4600's for the front.
Having the Bilsteins and Monomax both in hand, here's a unscientific and maybe meaningless comparison.
When I compare the front Bilstein to the front Monomax and
1) compress both shocks slowly from fully extended to fully compressed, the Monomaxs are much, much harder to compress.
2) compress both shocks suddenly, as in dumping 200lbs on them in about a tenth of a second, the Monomaxs just don't react/compress much; the Bilsteins react and compress fairly quickly and moderately easily.
I wonder if that means anything?
Actually, what you have is even better than what he suggested.

Run the Monomax on all four corners for a month. Then switch the fronts to Bilstein 4600's and run them for a month while you leave the Monomax on the rears. Then let us know which way you like better.

2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, Odyssey extreme 65-PC1750T batteries, Michelin LTX-MS2 rear tires, Sumitomo Encounter front tires, Shell Rotella Ultra elc, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 250,000 miles, repairs so far: two starters, batteries, cps, brakes, tires, alternator, ball joints, locking hub, wheel hub, AC compressor, serpentine belt, power steering pump, driver's side window, ignition switch, o-ring, Spectra premium radiator, water pump, fan clutch, fan blades, thermostat, thermostat housing, tensioner. Stolen twice so far, but recovered both times with major damage.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 04:42 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

And if you don’t mind, buy a pair of 5100s and then run those up front after the 4600s.

It will help abate your OCA...and mine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.

Last edited by ArcticDriver; 02-07-2019 at 06:09 PM.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 08:21 PM

After you are all done testing, you can sell me the ones you don't like. For a discount of course, after all, they are used. Im thinking at least 50% off sticker price.
meteor56 likes this.

2002 F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 7.3L Lariat 2WD 131,000mi; 4in turbo back custom exhaust, Garrett GTP38R turbo, Riffraff intercooler boots, Dorman Up-Pipes, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, Scangauge II, ISSPRO EV2 Boost-EGT-Trans temp-Fuel pressure Gauges, DP T-5 Tuner (stock ,60HP tow, Decel, 60HP highway econo, 80HP city econo), Dieselsite coolant filtration, Max Air A/C mod, foglight mod, AIH delete, LED interior, back up camera, hid foglights.

I have AE if you are in San Diego area and need help. Send PM
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (3)
OK, finally reporting back on my shock experience. Got tied up with work and travel for a while and recently only got around to finishing other items on the truck and getting it out for a test drive.

I've got the KYB Monomaxs on all four corners and it drives noticeably different than the previous Rancho 9000XL's. --The Ranchos had a total of 30,000 miles on them when they came off the truck and all 4 were set to position 9 and came off in good shape.
My perception is the ride with the Monomax is stiffer (in a good way) and more controlled than the Ranchos 9000XL's. Whether they stay this way remains to be seen (In my large amount of research on the Monomax, found a few comments of them being too stiff initially and then getting better). The only additional comment (speculation) I can provide is that possibly if you're not constantly carrying the 5000lb+ load in the bed that I am, maybe the Monomax's would be too stiff. ??

Due to time and other issues (wrenching burnout) I did not put the Bilstein 4600's on the front and then try to compare them to the Monomaxes. I can say from examining the two (Bilstein 4600 and KYB Monomax) side by side, the Bilsteins seemed to have a better fit/finish to them.

So, someone else I guess needs to compare the KYB Monomax to the Bilstein 4600. Any takers?
And FWIW, also let me add I'm extremely suspicious of anecdotal, testimonial type, one data point opinions --like the one I'm providing here. As humans, we make terrible data taking devices and are better served by testing in controlled conditions with a large set of data points; without that, almost anything can be claimed via testimony.

ArcticDriver likes this.

1999 F350 DRW Long Bed Crew Cab 4x4
Carries 5000lb+ Lance Camper
DP Tuner chip w/ 60econ, 120race, decel, hi idle
Stancor Glow Plug Relay
VDO gauges
Ford AIS and zoodad mod
MagnaFlow 4" Exhaust and muffler
Bellowed Up Pipes from Int'l
John Wood Eco HD trans, 6.0 cooler and Maghytec tranny pan
Maghytec rear diff cover w/ Mobil 1 75W-140
Mobil 1 ATF in trans/transfer case/powersteering Magnafine filters for tranny and power steering
Airbags, KYB Monomax shocks, Torklift Swaystops, Roadmaster 1.5" Rear Sway Bar
CCV mod
TransferFlow 57 gallon fuel tank
Riffraff fuel and oil crossover
Strictly Diesel fuel tank/pre-pump kit
Air intake heater delete Max A/C assist Braided 4WD shift hoses, Replacement boots for all turbo/intercooler boots, Coolant filtration system, 203*F thermostat
2 layers Dynamat Extreme on interior roof/floor/doors, Dynamat Xorb on Firewall
Alpine IVA1000 and amp, Python Alarm
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnorthdriver View Post
OK, finally reporting back on my shock experience. Got tied up with work and travel for a while and recently only got around to finishing other items on the truck and getting it out for a test drive.

I've got the KYB Monomaxs on all four corners and it drives noticeably different than the previous Rancho 9000XL's. --The Ranchos had a total of 30,000 miles on them when they came off the truck and all 4 were set to position 9 and came off in good shape.
My perception is the ride with the Monomax is stiffer (in a good way) and more controlled than the Ranchos 9000XL's. Whether they stay this way remains to be seen (In my large amount of research on the Monomax, found a few comments of them being too stiff initially and then getting better). The only additional comment (speculation) I can provide is that possibly if you're not constantly carrying the 5000lb+ load in the bed that I am, maybe the Monomax's would be too stiff. ??

Due to time and other issues (wrenching burnout) I did not put the Bilstein 4600's on the front and then try to compare them to the Monomaxes. I can say from examining the two (Bilstein 4600 and KYB Monomax) side by side, the Bilsteins seemed to have a better fit/finish to them.

So, someone else I guess needs to compare the KYB Monomax to the Bilstein 4600. Any takers?
And FWIW, also let me add I'm extremely suspicious of anecdotal, testimonial type, one data point opinions --like the one I'm providing here. As humans, we make terrible data taking devices and are better served by testing in controlled conditions with a large set of data points; without that, almost anything can be claimed via testimony.

Yes, I see your point. What we really need is a large number of testers who will volunteer to compare the KYB Monomax to the Bilstein 4600.

If there are any volunteers who are willing to take part in this project, please identify yourselves.

2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, Odyssey extreme 65-PC1750T batteries, Michelin LTX-MS2 rear tires, Sumitomo Encounter front tires, Shell Rotella Ultra elc, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 250,000 miles, repairs so far: two starters, batteries, cps, brakes, tires, alternator, ball joints, locking hub, wheel hub, AC compressor, serpentine belt, power steering pump, driver's side window, ignition switch, o-ring, Spectra premium radiator, water pump, fan clutch, fan blades, thermostat, thermostat housing, tensioner. Stolen twice so far, but recovered both times with major damage.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 04:40 PM

I had the KYB's for 8yrs figured it was time for new so I tried the Bilstein 4600 after 1000 miles I took them off and went back to the KYB's the bill's got softer after that amount of time carrying a 3500lb Lance camper in the back lesson learned and the rears leaked same with the steering stabilizer I put on the front (bill's also) LONG LIVE KYB's
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocker View Post
I had the KYB's for 8yrs figured it was time for new so I tried the Bilstein 4600 after 1000 miles I took them off and went back to the KYB's the bill's got softer after that amount of time carrying a 3500lb Lance camper in the back lesson learned and the rears leaked same with the steering stabilizer I put on the front (bill's also) LONG LIVE KYB's
Interesting. What are your road conditions?

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 12:57 PM

CA roads
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 01:20 PM

[QUOTE=farnorthdriver;4656044][SIZE=3]OK, finally reporting back on my shock experience. Got tied up with work and travel for a while and recently only got around to finishing other items on the truck and getting it out for a test drive.
—————————————————————
Q.

farnorthdriver- I am interested what it was you didn’t like about the Rancho9000’s? Just curious as I just bought a full set for my 2002 F350 4wd cc drw 8’ box.

2002 F350 7.3L / 4R100 - 4WD CC DRW 8 Box, AIH Delete, Gauges- Pyro, Trans Temp, Boost, Fuel Pressure, TS-6 tuner, Zoodad Mod, Mishimoto 31 row Trans cooler, Mobil 1 ATF, Trans return line ATF filter, Hutch/Harpoon Mod, Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 rear air springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, Timbrens on the front.

Last edited by Big Horn; 03-11-2019 at 01:22 PM.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 01:58 AM

See original post.

post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocker View Post
CA roads
That really clears it up.

SOLD:

Last edited by ArcticDriver; 03-12-2019 at 06:15 PM.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logophore View Post
See original post.

I did read the “original post” ! Said he wanted to improve things and he gave the weight of his tc load—

I was looking for a little more detail, actual conditions- sway, rough roads, sag, etc, as I did an extensive search on dsf when looking at Members feedback on shocks — more than just opinion but actual user experience
ArcticDriver likes this.

2002 F350 7.3L / 4R100 - 4WD CC DRW 8 Box, AIH Delete, Gauges- Pyro, Trans Temp, Boost, Fuel Pressure, TS-6 tuner, Zoodad Mod, Mishimoto 31 row Trans cooler, Mobil 1 ATF, Trans return line ATF filter, Hutch/Harpoon Mod, Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 rear air springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, Timbrens on the front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in