My new LED headlight bulbs are flickering...why? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-2007 Super Duty. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are not engine-specific.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation My new LED headlight bulbs are flickering...why?

I finally got sick and tired of the crummy headlights on my 05' F250 and decided to upgrade the bulbs to some LED's. I did some research, and found some on Amazon that had great reviews, and looked pretty good. I think they were around $70...so not cheap.

I put them in tonight, turned them on...and WOW, they were awesome! They put out so much more light, it was great! So then I fired up the truck and took it for a drive....so much better than before! But then I get home, and after I turned the lights off, I left the truck idling (was hooking up a trailer to move it around)....and I noticed that when the lights were turned OFF....I could see them blinking/flickering a little bit. I turned them back on....and I noticed that even when they were on, they were flickering just slightly. I turned them on and off a couple of times, and sometimes I could get them to turn on and not flicker...and other times they would. Even wit the truck not running, sometimes both flickers when the lights are on, sometimes just one flickers. Very random.

Did I just get a bad set of LED lights? I saw some "anti-flicker" harshness on amazon....would those fix the problem? Or should I just returns them?

Any help would be great! Thanks!!!!

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Bilstein 5100s, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 09:28 PM

IIRC, in the newer trucks, the headlamp switch doesn't actually do the headlight switching. The power to the headlamps is controlled by a module (GEM), and your headlight switch only tells the module to turn the headlamps on or off.

The flicker is due to the SSR (solid state relay) in the module leaking a bit of current when OFF, and not having sufficient load on them (current passing through it) when ON. The LED lamps put very little [electrical] burden on the system, and will light at very low current levels, thus the OFF flicker. To test this, unplug the headlamp connector (at the lamp) and measure for DC voltage.

One remedy is to put a resistor in parallel with the lamp. This puts additional load on the SSR. However the downside is the resistors can get HOT! The big advantage of LED's is they draw less current than incandescent/halogen lamps, but adding resistive load to the circuit, you increase the current draw, which defeats the purpose (at least part) of having the LED's in the first place.

Lastly, did you check to see if your Hi-beams worked? I tried several different iterations of LED headlamps, in both my truck and my CrownVic Interceptor, and found none really gave good high-beam/low-beam performance. They were bright at low beam, but high was just barely any higher/brighter. I never had a flicker issue as both have old-school headlamp switches!

And... even though the LED's say they are "DOT approved", I can almost guarantee they are not. More Chinese CRAP! LOL

~Al

Al in SoCal
AFE Intake; Garrett 38R; DieselSite Turbine Jacket
HPS Hi-Temp CAC Boots; Banks Big IC, Banks Engine Brake
External Oil cooler & Remote filter; Stealth 4-line Twin HPOP, Melling LPOP
Swamp's: 160cc/30% Injectors & HVHF IDM; DP-Tuner F5; Fluidamper Balancer
Custom Full Reg.-return Fuel System, Pre-& Post-pump filtration
Mishimoto Radiator & Exp. Tank; T444 Water Pump w/Filtration
Bellowed S/S Up-pipes; 4" Turbo-back Custom Exhaust into Twin Stacks
SouthBend D-D Clutch; ZF 6-spd, GearVendors O/U Drive

Last edited by Calico5; 11-07-2018 at 09:32 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Yes, it appeared that the hi-beams worked. You could definitely tell that the angle of the high would rise (like when you put your high beams on), and I coud see farther out in front of the truck......but the light output almost seamed the same, or maybe even less then just using the regular beams.

Am I better off to just put in a set of brighter Halogen bulbs?

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Bilstein 5100s, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Instead of rolling the dice on another set of LED headlight bulbs that may, or may not work correctly.......what about a brighter set of Halogen bulbs? Something like these Sylvania XZE bulbs? Would they be close to the same light output as the LED bulbs? Or are LED's much brighter?

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
Yes, it appeared that the hi-beams worked. ......but the light output almost seamed the same, or maybe even less then just using the regular beams.
Yep... I also had the same problem. The light beam seemed to get higher, but the light intensity decreased.

Unfortunately, I don't think the quality and engineering is quite "there" yet with these retrofit LED bulbs. Kinda funny how no reputable companies (Phillips, Sylvania, etc.) are producing them. Only Chi-com crap.

Quote:
Am I better off to just put in a set of brighter Halogen bulbs?
That's what I ended up doing. I think I've got the "Silverstar Ultra" bulbs. They're pretty good... a little pricey though.

~Al

Al in SoCal
AFE Intake; Garrett 38R; DieselSite Turbine Jacket
HPS Hi-Temp CAC Boots; Banks Big IC, Banks Engine Brake
External Oil cooler & Remote filter; Stealth 4-line Twin HPOP, Melling LPOP
Swamp's: 160cc/30% Injectors & HVHF IDM; DP-Tuner F5; Fluidamper Balancer
Custom Full Reg.-return Fuel System, Pre-& Post-pump filtration
Mishimoto Radiator & Exp. Tank; T444 Water Pump w/Filtration
Bellowed S/S Up-pipes; 4" Turbo-back Custom Exhaust into Twin Stacks
SouthBend D-D Clutch; ZF 6-spd, GearVendors O/U Drive

Last edited by Calico5; 11-08-2018 at 11:11 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 12:33 PM

I bought the Silverstar Ultra, but haven't installed them yet.

2006 F250 Lariat Supercrew, ESOF 4x4, 18" tires, FX 4, HD Alt., block heater, Integrated Trailer Brake Controller, Upfitters, power rear window, cab lights - delivered 10/25/05

Ford Remote Start; High idle mod; Timbren load levelers, Scangauge II, Blue Spring upgrade, Quick Start 200 amp large frame alternator, 2 batteries January 2010; GPCM replace October 2011; 2 EGR valves; EGR Cooler replaced 12/30/11; Performance Machine & Mfg. coolant filter added 1/2/12; Rotella T6 5W40 oil; turned rotors, replaced brake pads for 1st time 1/7/12 101K miles; GPCM, both subharnesses and all 8 glowplugs replaced 1/5/13 at 118,000 miles; 2 Ford batteries replaced under battery warranty twice, the latest 9/18/2015; FICM power supply board replaced with Dorman board 11/20/13. Coolant flushed and replaced with Prestone ELC 9/27/14. STC fitting 10/19/14; Dummy Plugs 11/8/14; Turbo rebuilt 11/29/14; cold side CAC tube and boots replaced with metal tube 1/24/15; replaced hot side boots 1/30/16.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

***UPDATE***

Well, I got the new Beamtech LED bulbs in yesterday. They work great!!! No flicker at all, they world like they are supposed to. I didnít need any type of anti-flicker harnessÖ.just plugged them right into the oem bulb plug.
They have a great pattern, are MUCH brighter than the standard halogen bulbs that were in there, and the high-beams work great! Iím very happy with themÖ..I would recommend them to anyone looking to upgrade the lighting on their Superdutys. Itís a night and day different compared to the bulbs that were in there.

And they were only $38 a set off of Amazon.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 12:28 PM

Can you post a link to what you bought?

2006 F250 Lariat Supercrew, ESOF 4x4, 18" tires, FX 4, HD Alt., block heater, Integrated Trailer Brake Controller, Upfitters, power rear window, cab lights - delivered 10/25/05

Ford Remote Start; High idle mod; Timbren load levelers, Scangauge II, Blue Spring upgrade, Quick Start 200 amp large frame alternator, 2 batteries January 2010; GPCM replace October 2011; 2 EGR valves; EGR Cooler replaced 12/30/11; Performance Machine & Mfg. coolant filter added 1/2/12; Rotella T6 5W40 oil; turned rotors, replaced brake pads for 1st time 1/7/12 101K miles; GPCM, both subharnesses and all 8 glowplugs replaced 1/5/13 at 118,000 miles; 2 Ford batteries replaced under battery warranty twice, the latest 9/18/2015; FICM power supply board replaced with Dorman board 11/20/13. Coolant flushed and replaced with Prestone ELC 9/27/14. STC fitting 10/19/14; Dummy Plugs 11/8/14; Turbo rebuilt 11/29/14; cold side CAC tube and boots replaced with metal tube 1/24/15; replaced hot side boots 1/30/16.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 12:47 PM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Just for clarity, the original poster's truck is a 2005. the headlamps are not fed power from a module circuit or FET. Even the auto lamps use simple relays in the VSM. Lighting systems using transistors to control lighting circuits in Super Duty's did not come into play until model year 2008.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford06 View Post
Can you post a link to what you bought?
Yep no problem.

BEAMTECH H13 LED Headlight Bulb, 50W 6500K 8000Lumens Extremely Brigh (9008 Hi/Lo) CSP Chips Conversion Kit

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in