Snugtop Extravision frameless rear window exploded - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-2007 Super Duty. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are not engine-specific.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Snugtop Extravision frameless rear window exploded

Woke up to a shattered rear window on my snugtop extravision the other morning. No vandalism, just a busted window. Bought the topper 3 weeks ago used from Michigan Trailer Sales in PHX. It is in mint condition, I did not see any flaws in the glass.

Now I find out it's $530 to replace it!
BS No Warranty On Glass...

Makes me want to build a custom fiberglass setup. Could get a custom cut fiberglass piece and make a sweet wooden frame that utilizes to the original locking mechanism.

Anyone else fab up a custom topper rear window?
Anyone else have the same thing happen?

Happy New Year,
Neil

my truck: 2001 F-350 7.3 XLT 4dr, SRW, 6sp, 4x4, DP Tuner - no start/stock/80E/high idle, Overboost Annihilator, AIS & zoodad, 4'' MBRP Straight Pipe, Optix Boost & EGT A pillar, Bilsteins

work truck: 2006 F-250 6.0 XL 4dr, Auto, 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 11:59 PM

My Photos: (0)
Re: Snugtop Extravision frameless rear window exploded

I'd be curious to see how many of your neighbors might have experienced the same thing. There are some environmntal wackos or just plain idiot kids with BB guns who have been targeting SUV's and large trucks around here, maybe the same for you who knows.

Sorry to hear about the glass, my topper uses a flat piece of glass so I suspect it will be much cheaper to replace if I ever need to, at least I hope.

early 99 F350 4x4
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

no vandalism here
truck was parked pretty far off the road where no one can see it.
no tire tracks or foot tracks in the deep snow anywhere near the truck either.

my truck: 2001 F-350 7.3 XLT 4dr, SRW, 6sp, 4x4, DP Tuner - no start/stock/80E/high idle, Overboost Annihilator, AIS & zoodad, 4'' MBRP Straight Pipe, Optix Boost & EGT A pillar, Bilsteins

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 05:10 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nchappy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone else have the same thing happen?</div></div>

Yes! And I sold the canopy just yesterday to make sure I never had to replace the glass again! The canopy was on the pickup when we bought it so I didn't investigate costs unitl the back glass busted. I sold the canopy for just a bit more than the replacement cost of the glass so I didn't lose any $$ on the deal but did not want to go through that again. Very good looking canopy but relatively "fragile".

2000 F350 7.3L CC/LB 4X4 XLT/6-speed/DP-Tuner/Bean's 1.0 with WW/4" turbo-back exhaust/AIS/Isspro EV's/285-75-16 Goodyear Wrangler PRO-GRADE/LS monotube shocks/Prodigy trailer brake controller/zoodad/leveling kit/All red - what other color would a firefighter have?

2002 F250 7.3L CC/LB 4X4 Lariat/4R100/DP-Tuner/Bean's Van Turbo with WW/Isspro EV's/4 inch lift/285-75-16 Goodyear Wrangler PRO-GRADE/LS monotube shocks/AIS/4" turbo-back exhaust/zoodad/ALL Black - wife's truck

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 05:56 PM

I had one on my topper explode back in the 80's. It was sitting in the driveway. I had mirrored glass covering on it (so you couldn't look into the topper), so the glass just shattered but stayed in the frame. Time of year was in the May-June time frame, late afternoon, so I don't know if temperature changes from the sun-heated glass as it cooled down had anything to do with it or not. I replaced it with a piece of plexiglass. Much cheaper alternative.

short-stuff

Y2K F250 CC PSD Auto, Short-bed Lariat, Woodland Green/Gold, ordered 07/10/99, born 09/12/99, delivered 10/08/99, Bed mat, Zoodad mod, Viper Remote Start Alarm, Fumoto valve, undercoated, 170k somewhat trouble-free miles (so far), Edge Evolution (60 HP setting), Pioneer DVD/CD/iPod/XM satellite, backup camera, aluminum camper shell to replace the ROLLX that I had on the bed

Repairs: CPS, Water Separator Valve assembly, rear axle bearings, VSS, batteries, brakes, alternator, serpentine belt (x2) and tension pullies, all 4 power lock actuators, water pump, air conditioning lines and compressor, battery cables, replaced the leather oem seat covers with very good leather replacements (found a great price from a place in Dallas that custom makes them)

2016 Subaru Outback (Wife's commuter car)

2016 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 30 ft TT

1993 MonArk Sun/Spa 20 ft pontoon boat
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

just noticed I said fiberglass in my OP, meant plexiglass.

Sort Stuff, how did the plexiglass work for you? was it hard to fab, was it expensive?
thanks

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 12:26 AM

yeah the same thing happened to my friend's snugtop extravision last month, a bunch of snow packed in between the glass and topper...it froze and then the next day when the topper heated up...the glass broke off the hinge.

he found a shop that will charge $130 for 1/4" thick dark grey tinted pexiglass
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 04:48 PM

exploding glass

hey i had the same thing happen to me. all i did was touch my friends camper shell glass and it exploded! i think its because its tempered glass and if it is moved wrong it will explode.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 04:52 PM

My Sungtop Extravision rear glass exploded last week possibly from the cold here in Idaho or whatever, I don't know for sure. I've had the cap for over 6 years and been through many winters colder than this one down in the mountains of Utah so maybe something else caused it as mentioned here (looseness, ice, snow) but all I did was open and close it early in the morning and it shattered into 50,000 pieces, wow what a cleanup. Anyway, I know this is an old thread but am just curious if anyone has any futher details about replacing with Plexiglas. New glass from Snugtop Dealer is $595 plus tax which is a no can do for us so if 1/4" Pglas will work then that is what I need to do but what measurements, who has it and who can cut it? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnfoke View Post
My Sungtop Extravision rear glass exploded last week possibly from the cold here in Idaho or whatever, I don't know for sure. I've had the cap for over 6 years and been through many winters colder than this one down in the mountains of Utah so maybe something else caused it as mentioned here (looseness, ice, snow) but all I did was open and close it early in the morning and it shattered into 50,000 pieces, wow what a cleanup. Anyway, I know this is an old thread but am just curious if anyone has any futher details about replacing with Plexiglas. New glass from Snugtop Dealer is $595 plus tax which is a no can do for us so if 1/4" Pglas will work then that is what I need to do but what measurements, who has it and who can cut it? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
You might check with a glass installer to cut it for you. I bought mine at Home despot and cut it to size with a jigsaw and metal blade. keep in mind that my back window was framed, but I would think the plexiglass would give you want you need economically.

short_stuff

Y2K F250 CC PSD Auto, Short-bed Lariat, Woodland Green/Gold, ordered 07/10/99, born 09/12/99, delivered 10/08/99, Bed mat, Zoodad mod, Viper Remote Start Alarm, Fumoto valve, undercoated, 170k somewhat trouble-free miles (so far), Edge Evolution (60 HP setting), Pioneer DVD/CD/iPod/XM satellite, backup camera, aluminum camper shell to replace the ROLLX that I had on the bed

Repairs: CPS, Water Separator Valve assembly, rear axle bearings, VSS, batteries, brakes, alternator, serpentine belt (x2) and tension pullies, all 4 power lock actuators, water pump, air conditioning lines and compressor, battery cables, replaced the leather oem seat covers with very good leather replacements (found a great price from a place in Dallas that custom makes them)

2016 Subaru Outback (Wife's commuter car)

2016 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 30 ft TT

1993 MonArk Sun/Spa 20 ft pontoon boat
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 09:07 PM

Thanks SS

I'm going to follow your advice and try going the low cost way (DIY) if I can get the 'glas at Home Depot like you say rather than having it done at a shop.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 09:17 AM
Banned

Ours busted out a few weeks ago, due to my negligence. There is no distributor here in Florida, so I would have to add huge shipping costs. Went to an auto body shop to ask about plexiglass and they said not to do it...not sturdy enough. If you need one, check Craigslist in your area and see if someone is selling their Snugtop cheap and take off that window.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in